Ford Dealer uses rubber band to fix issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Dealer uses rubber band to fix issue

JayKramer

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Harbor Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
The culprit is my local Ford dealer, the only dealer to have worked on my 2018 XLT, I have only had one oil change and multi point inspection done. I decided to top up my windshield washer fluid and noticed the red rubber shield that flops over the battery terminal was flipped up. I went to pat it back down and notice it really doesn't stay put, then, unbelievably, I see a dried out standard desk rubber band hooked around my brake (or power steering)? reservoir neck which was apparently placed to stretch over the terminal cover to hold it down. We had noticed some burning smells and the looks of the rubber band explains that. We are heading over there Monday, I cant wait to hear the spin on this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check under the hood when you bought it to see if that cover was fitting properly at that time? The real question is why that protector isn't staying down? Have you tried getting to stay in place? It could just be that it slipped back on the cable.

Peter

+ Connection.JPG

Did you check under the hood when you bought it to see if that cover was fitting properly at that time? The real question is why that protector isn't staying down? Have you tried getting to stay in place? It could just be that it slipped back on the cable.

Peter

View attachment 172013
When I place it back on the terminal..you literally can just blow it off with a puff of breathe..heading to dealer Monday but the real question is... why the mechanic strapped a rubber band around it to create tension on it by hooking it around a reservoir neck that was few inches away. Will update.

You appear to have answered your own question, "to hold it down". Although I very much doubt that the service manual suggests that, it would be interesting to get an update on this regardless. Thanks. Was it okay when you first bought it?

Peter

I just took my 14 Ex in for the toe link recall this week and I should have checked the work BEFORE I left the dealership as my circle of trust is very small. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and checked on it once I got home. Low and behold, on one of the toe links, they left the jam/check nut completely loose. I sent a picture of it to the service manager and he apologized. I asked for a full 4 wheel alignment as a concession for having to drive all the way back to the dealership again. Sadly, you have to check behind everyone these days.

20190716_121543.jpg

The culprit is my local Ford dealer, the only dealer to have worked on my 2018 XLT, I have only had one oil change and multi point inspection done. I decided to top up my windshield washer fluid and noticed the red rubber shield that flops over the battery terminal was flipped up. I went to pat it back down and notice it really doesn't stay put, then, unbelievably, I see a dried out standard desk rubber band hooked around my brake (or power steering)? reservoir neck which was apparently placed to stretch over the terminal cover to hold it down. We had noticed some burning smells and the looks of the rubber band explains that. We are heading over there Monday, I cant wait to hear the spin on this one.

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the dealer. I have seen new vehicles from the factory with rubber bands on them in various locations under the hood.

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the dealer. I have seen new vehicles from the factory with rubber bands on them in various locations under the hood.
Well the rubber band began to melt...its the kind you find in your kids school supply draw, if you are correct and Ford uses rubber bands to hold things down its time to go back to Hyundai. Please send any photo where there are rubber bands used.

Zip ties, sure.. rubber bands, hell no.

OEMs use rubber bands to temporarily stow things out of the way so they don’t get tangled or crushed during the assembly process.

When I worked at the Ford engine plant we used to secure the wiring harness connection with a rubber band on every engine just to keep it out of the way.

This is probably where it came from (they don’t always get removed).

OEMs use rubber bands to temporarily stow things out of the way so they don’t get tangled or crushed during the assembly process.

When I worked at the Ford engine plant we used to secure the wiring harness connection with a rubber band on every engine just to keep it out of the way.

This is probably where it came from (they don’t always get removed).

Thank you. I figured they were used for temporary purposes.

Back