Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

I just recently drove to Houston and back (little over 1000 miles one way) with my family and never put the windows down. Didn't feel anything funny so I guess mine is Not leaking anything in to the cabin as of now. So I won't take it in as I don't want them to tear apart my car

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could anyone suggest a reliable, accurate CO monitor I can place inside my 2014 Explorer Ltd?. I am skeptical about the issue but at the same time dont want to take any chances. Most important, i want to make sure the CO monitor device is not bull sh.. me and giving false results.

Being colorless and odorless, we cant rely on our senses such as "smell" to detect presence of CO. Just because we cant smell exhaust fumes doesnt mean it isnt there. This makes it all the more important that every one of us buy and install a CO detector to be absolutely sure. My vehicle has a 110V socket, I am wondering if it can power a standard 110V home CO detector. I think the 110V detectors are a bit more mature and more reliable. The one we stick into the cigarette lighter socket, am skeptical of them working right.
Carbon Monoxide Meters

Could anyone suggest a reliable, accurate CO monitor I can place inside my 2014 Explorer Ltd?. I am skeptical about the issue but at the same time dont want to take any chances. Most important, i want to make sure the CO monitor device is not bull sh.. me and giving false results.

Being colorless and odorless, we cant rely on our senses such as "smell" to detect presence of CO. Just because we cant smell exhaust fumes doesnt mean it isnt there. This makes it all the more important that every one of us buy and install a CO detector to be absolutely sure. My vehicle has a 110V socket, I am wondering if it can power a standard 110V home CO detector. I think the 110V detectors are a bit more mature and more reliable. The one we stick into the cigarette lighter socket, am skeptical of them working right.
Sorry for the late response but if you are still looking this vehicle carbon monoxide detector by Forensics has gotten good reviews. I have been using it since December in my Explorer which has had the 17N03 done. So far I have had no c/o readings.

7B1125FB-A429-43E7-A659-5FA13055AB58.jpeg

4B7BA7A8-0A28-4A34-88E5-1D713278C8B6.jpeg

A8DAE871-1E66-43E0-8F8E-C89A721A9BFE.jpeg

My FORD Dealer BRONDES FORD Toledo, 5545 Secor Road Toledo, oh 439623 were I purchased my new 2013 Ford EXPLORER XLT from will not
Perform the Ford recommended Customer Satisfaction Program 17NO3 on my Explorer. Dealer had a technician perform check and he verified
A strong exhaust odor “CO” coming into car. But the dealer and Ford refuse to fix this known design defect citing it’s not a recall and the term
Limit of 12/31/18

Dealer said the Correct fix is to replace exhaust system with new mufflers with hidden tubed down tubes that exit out the bottom.
But wanted me to pay out of my Pocket $$$$ for their design flaw?
I cannot drive this car to work on the highway or take my wife and kids on a family vacation without the fear of them or myself getting sick or
Other consequences. This Explorer will be my last FORD product ever! And I will replace it with the new 2021 JEEP Grand Cherokee that I can
tb10937a.jpg
tb10938a2.jpg

Purchase at Employee pricing.

My FORD Dealer BRONDES FORD Toledo, 5545 Secor Road Toledo, oh 439623 were I purchased my new 2013 Ford EXPLORER XLT from will not
Perform the Ford recommended Customer Satisfaction Program 17NO3 on my Explorer. Dealer had a technician perform check and he verified
A strong exhaust odor “CO” coming into car. But the dealer and Ford refuse to fix this known design defect citing it’s not a recall and the term
Limit of 12/31/18

Dealer said the Correct fix is to replace exhaust system with new mufflers with hidden tubed down tubes that exit out the bottom.
I cannot drive this car to work on the highway or take my wife and kids on a family vacation without the fear of them or myself getting sick or
Other consequences. This Explorer will be my last FORD product ever! And I will replace it with the new 2021 JEEP Grand Cherokee that I canView attachment 171322 View attachment 171323
CO is odorless, so someone has been telling porkies.
The recall has currently expired, but you could try calling Ford corporate and detailing your experience at the dealership and asking if they can help you.

Not to mention it came out in 2017....one post and so concerned for the family but you wait until June 2019 to take it in. Seems a bit odd to me.

Also the term ended March 31, 2019 for 11-15s and is still in effect for 16 and 17s until December 31, 2019

Welcome to the Forum Robert.:wave:
Your issue is with Ford and not the dealer since the Customer Satisfaction Program 17N03 has expired. Ford would have to authorize the dealer to make any repairs required by the 17N03 program at this point.

Peter

Yes, call corporate directly. Considering how much bad PR this got, I suspect Ford /might/ be willing to push this one through for you.

Limit of 12/31/18

Other consequences. This Explorer will be my last FORD product ever! And I will replace it with the new 2021 JEEP Grand Cherokee that I canView attachment 171322 View attachment 171323

A strong CO odor? CO is oderless!!

It isnt a recall, it was a customer satisfaction program. Ford has said there was no issue with CO. Many members on here have bought CO detectors and there are no issues.

All the bad press about this issue yet record sales still. It is not an issue as far as safety goes and the "I cant take my family on a vacation" is ridiculous.

There was more to the program then muffler replacement. Many had the plugs in the tailgate replaced, HVAC reprogrammed and the vents under the bumper replaced with more robust ones. This was the fix for those who worried. For those who "complained" more about an odorless smell, a few got the exhaust tips.

Great first post though!!

I did call FORD 1 800-392-3673 and opened case # CAS-2480424 and I have heard nothing back from FORD?
This is my third FORD EXPLORER (1) 1999 5.0 L V8 AWD, (2) 2012 XLT 4WD , (3) 2013 XLT FWD, that
I have purchased brand new and it will be my last. Due to the water pump design flaw I plan to trade this
One in after about 12-15,000 more miles, it's got 78,000miles on it now. and look a lease on a new JEEP.

So, you've been driving your 2013 Explorer for 78k miles and are now worried about CO?

Why didn't you have the customer satisfaction service completed when it came out ~2 years ago?

Before we pile on too badly here--also realize that this problem can be intermittent. I was good for a while, had serious issues with it, had the CSP/TSBs/etc done and was good for a bit longer, and then it got really, really bad before I ended up finally dumping the car.

A strong CO odor? CO is odorless!!

RSPONSE: I take this to mean from the originator that if you smell exhaust in the cabin and there is CO in exhaust, you by default are affected by CO.

It isnt a recall, it was a customer satisfaction program. Ford has said there was no issue with CO. Many members on here have bought CO detectors and there are no issues.

RESPONSE: Your post here seems to contradict your post 2533, dated February 3, 2019, under the bad or burnt exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.
"I don't think so. I believe this is a design flaw that Ford just can't fix permanently on the 5th gen. I believe it comes down to aerodynamics mostly. I'd bet just about anything that Ford focused on this greatly when redesigning for the 6th gen."

All the bad press about this issue yet record sales still. It is not an issue as far as safety goes and the "I cant take my family on a vacation" is ridiculous.

RESPONSE: You make a valid point about record sales, but Ford has lost how much more sales based on this exhaust problem? The bad or burnt exhaust smell section has 128 pages and the Ford offers free repairs section has 271 replies. Is it a stretch for me to say that Ford has harmed itself by it performance on this problem?

There was more to the program then muffler replacement. Many had the plugs in the tailgate replaced, HVAC reprogrammed and the vents under the bumper replaced with more robust ones. This was the fix for those who worried. For those who "complained" more about an odorless smell, a few got the exhaust tips.

Great first post though!!

Got my letter from Ford regarding the non-existent "exhaust odor in the cabin" being extended with another non-existent recall.
The Customer Satisfaction Program, (Ford double speak for "Ford Engineers have not leaked documents to the press exposing the actual truth yet"), 19N05 will now expire on July 31, 2022.

Got my letter from Ford regarding the non-existent "exhaust odor in the cabin" being extended with another non-existent recall.
The Customer Satisfaction Program, (Ford double speak for "Ford Engineers have not leaked documents exposing the actual truth yet"), 19N05 will now expire on July 31, 2022.

I am curious, what is the actual truth?

An example of the truth with Ford products is the Powershift DPS6 transmissions in the Ford Focus and Fiesta.
Here is a link on the matter:
Dual-clutch gearbox complaints haunt Ford
I expect a similar reveal with the exhaust odor in the cabin problem, in the near future.
Time will show if I am wrong or right.

An example of the truth with Ford products is the Powershift DPS6 transmissions in the Ford Focus and Fiesta.
I expect a similar reveal with the exhaust odor in the cabin problem, in the near future.

The transmission issues with the DPS6 are well known. This is the Explorer forum, not fiesta or focus.

You were referencing the Explorer exhaust issue and I had asked what exactly is the truth that you are referencing regarding the exhaust on the Explorer.

You very well may be right. I had to very begrugingly get rid of my Explorer over this after it not only flooded the cabin with the smell when climbing grades, but also during highway operation.

The Customer Satisfaction Program, (Ford double speak for "Ford Engineers have not leaked documents to the press exposing the actual truth yet"), 19N05 will now expire on July 31, 2022.
I think the reason it is a Customer Satisfaction Program and not a Recall is because not every Explorer appears to have the issue. My 2011 and current 2017 did not and several other members here also stated they did not have the problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in Hawaii, and we only got one Ford dealership. I have a 2013 Explorer, and my dealer is refusing to fix the CO. Anyone experience this situation, where they wanted to charge for the fix?

Back