How much off MSRP for ST? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much off MSRP for ST?

Pretty sure Costco discount isn't always below dealer's invoice if that is what your are saying. Depends on the vehicle.
As someone who attempted to shop with the Costco program earlier this year, my two cents is that it's probably a better program with cars that sell closer to retail/invoice than most domestic vehicles. I was able to easily beat the program price on a dealer stock '19. Might be tougher on an ordered vehicle or '20, but just my opinion. You don't see the discount until you get to the one dealer Costco selects for you. They likely won't negotiate further because apparently they pay Costco for that privilege and that comes out of the profit on your sale. They are also allowed to force dealer add-ons on you at a nominal "discount", which really irked me. I ended up going to a totally different dealer and also found that the advertised internet price on the vehicle I was quoted was cheaper than the Costco price. That might really have just been a bad dealer experience but something to be aware of going in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As someone who attempted to shop with the Costco program earlier this year, my two cents is that it's probably a better program with cars that sell closer to retail/invoice than most domestic vehicles. I was able to easily beat the program price on a dealer stock '19. Might be tougher on an ordered vehicle or '20, but just my opinion. You don't see the discount until you get to the one dealer Costco selects for you. They likely won't negotiate further because apparently they pay Costco for that privilege and that comes out of the profit on your sale. They are also allowed to force dealer add-ons on you at a nominal "discount", which really irked me. I ended up going to a totally different dealer and also found that the advertised internet price on the vehicle I was quoted was cheaper than the Costco price. That might really have just been a bad dealer experience but something to be aware of going in.

Not every Ford Dealership takes Costco rebates. Mine said that it does not. Only if you are eligible for X plan or one of those plans but then you need to be employed by a Company that gives those rebates. My dealer told me that there will be no rebates. Probably only private rebates.

Pretty sure Costco discount isn't always below dealer's invoice if that is what your are saying. Depends on the vehicle.
Not every Ford Dealership takes Costco rebates. Mine said that it does not. Only if you are eligible for X plan or one of those plans but then you need to be employed by a Company that gives those rebates. My dealer told me that there will be no rebates. Probably only private rebates.
Correct on not every dealer participates. As far as I know Costco picks the closest participating dealer to you and sends your info to them.

I am a complete newbie at this forum and I'm fascinated by this discussion about private offers and my possible new best friend, Vincent. I am shopping for a 2020 Explorer Platinum now. What can I do, if anything, to try and take advantage of these private offers?

Park

Not sure whether this should start a new thread, but has anybody used Costco?

Welcome to the Forum Park.:wave:
I'll let others answer your question.

Peter

Not sure whether this should start a new thread, but has anybody used Costco?
Other than what is mentioned in post #63, Costco does offer $1000 rebates at various time throughout the year.

Peter

Took our test drive on Thursday at my local dealership. Now to just find a base ST with just the 1st level performance pack with the black wheels and white color. May just order one to give us time to sell the 4Runner outright I hope! It drove very nice!

I have now had 2 other dealers match the price of invoice - holdback + $500. I am hoping to pick up a ST on the 8th.

Just a little insight. Holdback is 3% of MSRP. On my $60k ST, they are getting $1,769 from Ford once it is sold.

They also get up to $995 from Ford for floorplan assistance. It is 1.5% of base MSRP (before options added). So if the base MSRP is $54,600, that equates to $819 from Ford. This is used to pay interest on the vehicle once on the lot which typically runs $250-$300 a month. This is why dealers are willing to bargain more on vehicles that have been sitting because they have exhausted their floorplan assistance to cover the interest.

So if you order a vehicle and pick it up almost immediately, they are getting full floorplan in their pocket. They also get back end bonuses from Ford based on volume sales etc.

So even selling to me at $500 over holdback, they are making over $1,300 profit plus bonuses.

Selling at invoice, they are making $2,500 plus bonuses..

Just a little info for you guys to know when negotiating. Now dealers will not dip into their floorplan assistance but dont let a dealer tell you they are not making money selling below invoice.

FYI, 2020 Ford Explorer ST, Sam's Club Truecar is showing market average of $57,772 on MSRP of $60,115 which is $2,343 off. Options: Star White $595, Prem Tech $995, ST Street Pack $995 and Moonroff $1,695. I have never used Truecar, but it looks like it sends this price to several dealers in your areas to see if they accept and or have that vehicle.

FYI, 2020 Ford Explorer ST, Sam's Club Truecar is showing market average of $57,772 on MSRP of $60,115 which is $2,343 off. Options: Star White $595, Prem Tech $995, ST Street Pack $995 and Moonroff $1,695. I have never used Truecar, but it looks like it sends this price to several dealers in your areas to see if they accept and or have that vehicle.
Also if you purchase the car, return to the Sam's Club screen to review special offers from Sam's Club.

Just FYI it does look like the dealer included $1500 in rebates that not many people will qualify for in that price.
I was thinking the same thing at first but then it said "Conditional Specials" and I doubt very much 1 person would qualify for all 3 of those so I don't believe they are included in the Internet price.

Peter

Have to read the fine print. Doc fee is not included as well as the $1,095 destination fee. On top of that as stated above, I believe they are including the 3 $500 conditional rebates. So unless you are a recent college graduate who joined the military and are a part time first responder on the side, you wont get those. Essentially add $2,600 to the sale price plus doc fees.

No, not a good deal.

Now if the 3 conditional rebates are not included in that price, than it is a good deal since you are getting part of the holdback.

Discounted pricing is hard for me to believe, I looked at a ST yesterday and they said they would remove the "added dealer mark-up but would not discount off of sticker price". According to them the ST is in short supply and there is no need to discount.

I would tend to agree with DMG above, I don't think the average person will be able to get an ST below the sicker price for some time.

Discounted pricing is hard for me to believe, I looked at a ST yesterday and they said they would remove the "added dealer mark-up but would not discount off of sticker price". According to them the ST is in short supply and there is no need to discount.

I was in a disbelieve. My dealer smiled at my face and told me that there would be no discounts. I asked him, are you sure? He said yes.

They can just wait a week or 2 and find a buyer of ST that they sell that MSRP and make profit. Like you said, ST seems to be in the short supply. You might get a private offer of 1,250 or so and maybe something else, but that is about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How would a guy get a private offer? :)

Back