Urgent help needed. 1991 Explorer transfer case shift motor rebuild. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Urgent help needed. 1991 Explorer transfer case shift motor rebuild.

Desert exploring

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
The 4x4 was not working in my recently purchased 91 Explorer so, using threads on this forum I diagnosed the issue to be the plastic bushing in the transfer case shift sensor. I took the motor off the case and removed to sensor cover, now I am stuck. I cannot figure out how to push the first “layer” out of the sensor to get to the bushing. Whoever has done this repair before.. what did you do? Sorry for dark pic.. I’m working under the truck.

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 was not working in my recently purchased 91 Explorer so, using threads on this forum I diagnosed the issue to be the plastic bushing in the transfer case shift sensor. I took the motor off the case and removed to sensor cover, now I am stuck. I cannot figure out how to push the first “layer” out of the sensor to get to the bushing. Whoever has done this repair before.. what did you do? Sorry for dark pic.. I’m working under the truck.

View attachment 172500
@Desert exploring
Obviously, those strips seen are ridden upon by contacts, probably spring-loaded. Can you wiggle the internals from side to side, confirming bushing wear-out? If the inside piece moves to where the contact is off the strip, no moto. Beyond that, never had one apart, so I guess I'd replace the unit. It's likely that bushing may not even be available.

@imp
Thanks for the reply, I gave up and shoved it back on the transfer case, the force of the “key” managed to push the gear piece out far enough, and to my surprise it pulled right out! The bushing inside was shredded to pieces, confirming the cause to the 4x4 issue and it will be replaced when I get to a hardware store.
Not sure if anyone else had this happen, but it was a frustrating thing to occur when everyone else is talking about how easy it was to remove it. Lol! Maybe I was doing something wrong..

Next time you are at the junk yard, look at some Ford window motors.
They might give you some ideas on where to get some parts.

@RangerX
News to me that rebuild parts are available. Have tried buying some starter motor parts recently, they sell only the whole dang thing! imp
Not sure what exactly you saw in the thread to make the comment, but keep in mind,
1. The thread is 15 years old.
2. I didn’t write the thread.
3. I only linked the thread for general rebuilding info as it’s the best thread on the subject that this board has.
4. The OP wasn’t asking about where to buy replacement parts.

Back