• Register Today It's free!

Wobblewobblewobble

E.T.

Reaction score
City, State
Ucon, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Got a bit of a fearsome wobble on my front end- bearings are worn (a bit growly) but tight. When I go straight it wobbles least but if I steer either way the wobble is pretty bad. Was tolerable until I turned onto the interstate today, then it got worse- feels exactly like an unbalanced tyre but both were done earlier today. I have a ~200 mile trip tomorrow, is a.) something going to fall off or b.) the front end going to collapse and cause the truck to kill me?!??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From your description, it does NOT sound safe to drive your vehicle ~200 miles before you get that issue addressed.

Unsafe for you, and everyone else.

Good,luck.

Maybe you have some air in the power steering.

It's bearings. Overheating and swelling up. Alarming but non-fatal. Is ANY 2004 Exploder truly safe?!?

I think the vicious wobble is to do with the knackered control arm mentioned in the other thread

Failing front bearings are ususally noisy (growl-ly), and sometimes accompanied by an error light on dash for antilock brakes (due worn wheel sensor). I've had them fail VERY QUICKLY after these symptoms. I also had the second one fail on my '02 XLS only about 500 miles after the first one failed, at over 195k miles! I learned my lesson when I picked up a '10 XLT, and now have a replacement front wheel bearing/hub assembly (WJR Heavy Duty) siting on my parts shelf in the garage for when I need it!

It's actually a pretty quiet growl in comparison with the rear left one that went- still, down to pick-a-part for a couple of front knuckles is the plan. The bearings are designed for about 250,000 miles as far as I can tell, so a lower mileage truck's should give me more life than I need in them. Tried using a slide hammer to remove one of the old ones.. Narp.

It's actually a pretty quiet growl in comparison with the rear left one that went- still, down to pick-a-part for a couple of front knuckles is the plan. The bearings are designed for about 250,000 miles as far as I can tell, so a lower mileage truck's should give me more life than I need in them. Tried using a slide hammer to remove one of the old ones.. Narp.
Rear right, sorry.

41Oam2NZ-DL._SY450_.jpg

This and a 10 pound sledgehammer gets out most bolted in wheel bearing assemblies

That's a heck of a persuader!

Back