2020 ST Tuning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 ST Tuning

Since Livernois is a member and vendor on this Forum, I'm guessing they will do some of their own posting on this.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am conflicted on this. 20% driveline loss on hp, 10tq loss.. so is Ford understating the 415tq?

I am surprised to only see about a 10% gain. Granted on some other packages they are changing thermostats, spark plugs etc.. wonder if a bigger package will be offered.

Or.. is this trans limited due to it being a 10r60.

They did mention in the video this was a conservative and initial tune. Future update will follow. They also said even though it’s a 10 speed, the OEM programming skips gears, like 1,3,5... and does not make use of them all. The tune will make use of them all.

Edit, here is the youtube video;

How does a tune effect a lease. Would they be able to tell at turn in it was tuned?

Livernois hit all of us 5th Gen owners for a $600 My Calibrator then told us we cant use it on the 6th Gen so we need to throw them another $600 because the existing tuner doesn't have enough memory. No migration path for loyal customers, they could easily have a trade in program instead of basically saving us the tax with a cheap $100 discount. Total BS IMHO, that kind of customer service is not worth spending money at Livernois. As someone who has one of their tuners I won't buy another.

Livernois hit all of us 5th Gen owners for a $600 My Calibrator then told us we cant use it on the 6th Gen so we need to throw them another $600 because the existing tuner doesn't have enough memory. No migration path for loyal customers, they could easily have a trade in program instead of basically saving us the tax with a cheap $100 discount. Total BS IMHO, that kind of customer service is not worth spending money at Livernois. As someone who has one of their tuners I won't buy another.

They do have a $200 trade in offer.

IMO my grudge is that you cant resell it. They lock it to the vehicle for life. Unlike SCT and their x4 etc, you can return to stock and sell it to someone else recouping a good portion of the cost of the tuner itself.

I brought this up back when the tuners for the Sport had just come out.

Hot damn!! I'd be very worried with the 10r60 holding 513hp and 650tq...

That's incredible for a stock 3.0!!

Very impressive indeed, but E85 has about 108 octane, so they can push the boost and timing well beyond what you can get away with on 93, or sadly all I can get, 91 pump.

How does a tune effect a lease. Would they be able to tell at turn in it was tuned?

If they do a download on the BCM or Airbag module sure they can tell but no dealership in North America is doing that on a lease return. I have had 4 Explorers returned on lease never had an issue and no issue has ever been reported here. I take the tune out before each service appointment, so do many on this forum and never been an issue.

I wish PBD would have done the tune and testing on 93 without the Octane Booster. It would have been easier to determine the realistic gains for the average guy.

I completely agree. I also wish there was a baseline for that ST, then 93 only, then 93 + booster.

Hot damn!! I'd be very worried with the 10r60 holding 513hp and 650tq...

That's incredible for a stock 3.0!!
whats the difference between the 10r60 and 80? Blown Coyote Stangs and F150s put far faaaaar more rwhp and tq down then a tuned ST will, and the the trans doesn't bat an eye and holds up fine. Buddy even tows with his blown F150 supercrew all the time, road trips etc and that puts down about 650 rwhp, already got 40k miles on it. That 10 speed is amazing, so well matched to the 5.0 in the truck.

whats the difference between the 10r60 and 80?
I do believe the 10R60 is the conventional 10 speed, and the 10R80 is the electrified version, MHT (modular hybrid transmission).

The 10R80 is used with the 3.3 HEV power train on the 2020 Explorer, all other power train options get the 10R60. I cant find much info at all on the web about the 10R60, best speculation is, slightly less weight, maybe a bit less parasitic loss with a lower torque handling rating. They have the same gear ratios and housed in the same case.

I sent a message today to one of the master trans engineers for Ford (retired now). The number after the R represents the torque it is rated for. It has to do with a multiplication factor within the trans (input shaft or something like that).

A 10r80 can handle more torque then a 10r60. Many thought a 60 is 600 ft lbs, 80 is 800 ft lbs etc but there is more to it. This also makes sense due to the electric motor built into the trans giving instant torque so it would need to hold more.

I'll post what he says as soon as I hear back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To give some background, the previous generation transmission, 6R55, is rated up to 630 Nm, or about 465 foot pounds of torque. I'm checking with my friend who is an HEV transmission engineer at Ford on the specs for both 10R60 and 10R80. I'll post when I get them.

Back