"Explorer" Hood Letters

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone know if the Letters on the 2020 Hood are the same on the 2013-2019 Sports?

Part # for the 13-19s is DB5Z-16606-A

Part # for the 2020 is LB5Z-16606-A

Being that everything is the same but the first letter, I'm leaning towards a yes. My letters have to come off Wednesday for the Xpel wrap and I ordered a set of DB5Z today via Amazon and will have them tomorrow.

Granted I guess I'll see if it is the same tomorrow when it arrives but crossing my fingers it is. There are no aftermarket letters with the LB5Z part number. Dealers are selling them for around $66 (Tasca) but I'm guessing will take time to come in and I really want the new set put on before I pick it up Thursday night.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah I forgot to check for you today. Email me tomorrow and remind me to take a look.

Ah I forgot to check for you today. Email me tomorrow and remind me to take a look.

I think I figured it out. When I look at the 5th gen, it shows on Ford parts (accessories) that the letters are "sterling grey". The 2020 is a Black Gloss. The letters I ordered despite it being the 5th gen part number are coming in Black Gloss.

So I assume it is the same size and font, just the 1st letter is for Gloss Black as opposed to Sterling Grey.

Tasca emailed me today saying they don't have the 2020 parts yet. Also went by my local dealer and they said the same thing. Heck, my VIN comes up as invalid lol.. I said "well I'm driving it right now"..

Well SOB, they are not the same. Time to order from TASCA

Well SOB, they are not the same. Time to order from TASCA
If they are the 5th gen ones, you can always post them in the 5th gen For Sale subforum.

Peter

Returning them for full refund. The letters were bigger and closer together in spacing.

5th gen have sharper corners, 6th are sort of concave.

My letters have to come off Wednesday for the Xpel wrap........

Uhh, can you expound please? What kind, what’s the cost of getting this done, benefits - upkeep, etc.

Just a quick search I saw some stealth matte thing that kinda intrigued me. I gotta know....what’s the deal?

Uhh, can you expound please? What kind, what’s the cost of getting this done, benefits - upkeep, etc.

Just a quick search I saw some stealth matte thing that kinda intrigued me. I gotta know....what’s the deal?

It is clear film to protect the front end. I have it on my f350 bumper and did it on the ST.

XPEL | Paint Protection | Window Tint | Flat Glass | Anti-Microbial Film

I did the full hood, partial fenders, full bumper, side mirrors and headlights.

It was $895 for partial kit (22" up hood, bumper and partial fenders) or $1,895 for full hood, full fender, mirrors, headlights and bumper. I decided on what I posted above and it was $1,200 for the wrap.

Had a full polish done (not wax), then 2 coats of ceramic done. This was $800. About 2 1/2 days of work.

Is it easier to keep the area that is wrapped clean or high maintenance?

Is it easier to keep the area that is wrapped clean or high maintenance?
No different then paint. The ceramic coating makes it much easier to get everything off (bugs, sap, bird poop etc). The whole Ex has the ceramic coating including on top of the wrap. He polishes the whole thing, then wraps, then ceramic coats the whole vehicle twice.

No different then paint. The ceramic coating makes it much easier to get everything off (bugs, sap, bird poop etc). The whole Ex has the ceramic coating including on top of the wrap. He polishes the whole thing, then wraps, then ceramic costs the whole vehicle twice.

Take some pics so we can see if that Magnetic color still looks the same as it was from factory.

Here’s a quote I got today, I’m pretty sure I wanted full-body but those numbers aren’t right so I’ll need clarification on what all it’s covering.

For XPEL Ultimate Plus to cover the painted surfaces you inquired about, your cost will range from $1,795.50 to $1,995 depending on any applicable discount codes.

XPEL PRIME is our industry leading window films with a 99.5% UV protection rating and a lifetime warranty. PRIME CS is a color stable film with up to a 28% heat rejection rating. PRIME XR has a Nano-ceramic/IR layer which provides up to an 88% IR (Infrared) heat rejection and PRIME XR+ provides up to 98% heat rejection rating.

Tint All:

Prime CS is $199

Prime XR is $399

Prime XR+ is $699.

Windshield:

XR 80 Blue $359

XR 70 Black $469

XR Plus 70 Black $575

Sunroof:

XR 80 Blue $150

XR 70 Black $216

Full body = entire car

Full front = entire front fenders, hood, headlights, mirrors and bumper

Partial front = 22" up hood, matching fender, front bumper.

I was told $1,795 for full front but saved $600 by only doing partial fenders.

Will post pics tomorrow morning of the job and details.

Tint was $130 for front driver/pass windows. Could have had the tears done too for $230 but didnt care really about UV. Just wanted to darker look and more privacy so just went with the fronts.

Had zero issues for 9 years with our 11 for UV etc so not wasting money on all that

Back