This lack of Waze is driving me batty! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This lack of Waze is driving me batty!

Shari Morton

Reaction score
City, State
Marmaduke
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
My parents bought a new 2019 Explorer XLT being told it had navigation, with no navigation icon and them taking it to tech support at the dealer with no help and me talking to tech support main office still no help. I just want them to be able to stream Waze from my mom's phone to the screen in the car. I have tried everything I can think of. I have downloaded Android Auto, nothing happens. I have disabled Ford App link to let Android Auto to take over nothing happens. It's like the screen will not link with a phone for apps, not even Pandora on her phone. But it did accept her phone contacts so I know the usb outlet works. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope according to the guys at the dealership it does not have navigation even tho it is a sync 3.0

Thanks for the video, I think the issue is also it has no Android Auto Pref in the settings unless Android Auto loads a preference into the settings? maybe?

Maybe the SYNC 3 needs to be updated? AA should come on the screen as soon as you plug it in (CarPlay does for me).

I would look at their documentation (or the window sticker)...if it was supposed to get Nav it should of. I thought all do now. Go back and make them change the APIM out.

Do you have the 4" or 8" screen? Do you know which "package" you have? 200A has Sync (4" screen), 201A and 202A have Sync 3 (8" screen).
As MM07 mentioned, check out the Window Sticker.

Peter

My parents bought a new 2019 Explorer XLT being told it had navigation, with no navigation icon and them taking it to tech support at the dealer with no help and me talking to tech support main office still no help. I just want them to be able to stream Waze from my mom's phone to the screen in the car. I have tried everything I can think of. I have downloaded Android Auto, nothing happens. I have disabled Ford App link to let Android Auto to take over nothing happens. It's like the screen will not link with a phone for apps, not even Pandora on her phone. But it did accept her phone contacts so I know the usb outlet works. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
An XLT could be had with or without Sync 3 and Sync 3 could come with or without voice activated navigation. To get Sync 3 with nav the vehicle would have to be at least a 201A package (Sync 3) with the XLT technology features bundle (nav).

i had similar problem on 2017 explorer sync 3. great guy at agency told me needed better cable from phone to car. used his and android auto downloaded correctly, activated, paired with phone and worked. got similar cable and works fine.

As stated you need a good USB cable the cheap ones just don't work well. On your phone ensure you have AA setup up correctly. On the radio go to settings and look for the Android Auto Icon and make sure it is enabled. That is about as easy as it gets.

What type phone are you trying to use?

nope according to the guys at the dealership it does not have navigation even tho it is a sync 3.0

Sync 3 doesn't always mean it has navigation. Navigation is a separate add on

Sync 3 doesn't always mean it has navigation. Navigation is a separate add on
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think that has been firmly established. Thus my questions in post #7. Waiting for an answer. If it is a 4" screen then I believe it is Sync 1.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think that has been firmly established. Thus my questions in post #7. Waiting for an answer. If it is a 4" screen then I believe it is Sync 1.

Peter

Agreed Peter. No Nav that I'm aware of on the 4" Screen of Sync 1 either.

For the OP, this link may be helpful in determining which Sync version your parents have. If the car was supposed to have Nav per the window sticker though, I'd be fighting the dealership over that if it actually doesn't. Lol.
How to identify your SYNC version | SYNC | Official Ford Owner Site

Waze currently doesn't work with Sync 3 on AA according to Ford's website. As far as i know it only works with apple car play. I can use Waze, but only from my ipod touch, as I don't have an iPhone. I'm a die hard android phone user lol. If anyone knows how to get waze to work through android auto I'd love that, lol. Browse SYNC AppLink Category Catalog

Agreed Peter. No Nav that I'm aware of on the 4" Screen of Sync 1 either.

Waze currently doesn't work with Sync 3 on AA according to Ford's website. As far as i know it only works with apple car play. I can use Waze, but only from my ipod touch, as I don't have an iPhone. I'm a die hard android phone user lol. If anyone knows how to get waze to work through android auto I'd love that, lol. Browse SYNC AppLink Category Catalog

I use waze through android auto all the time. It has always worked. Now if you're talking about Sync AppLink version of waze, that doesn't even show up for me. No apps from my phone do. But i'd much rather use AA anyway.

I use waze through android auto all the time. It has always worked. Now if you're talking about Sync AppLink version of waze, that doesn't even show up for me. No apps from my phone do. But i'd much rather use AA anyway.

I only get Google maps through my AA. I wonder why my Waze doesn't work.

I only get Google maps through my AA. I wonder why my Waze doesn't work.

Sometimes when Waze / AA / Sync3 updates, everything goes out of wack.
- Delete phone from Sync
- Delete Exp from phone / AA
- Reset Sync
- Install EXP back into phone /AA
- Install phone back into Sync
- plug phone into Exp, AA should autostart and
Waze should show up in the new "O" App screen on AA Sync3
(AA has a new screen with the latest update)

Fritz

Back