My 1992 2 door jeep killer build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1992 2 door jeep killer build

I just saw the posts about the lower radius arm bolt getting loose. I had cam adjusters in the lower bolt holes. I had them fall out on the trail. RangerX and I walked back and found the bolt, cam and washer. I pushed the tire against a tree stump to push the axle back into place and replaced everything. Tack welded it on when I got home. I don't think the threaded insert they bolt into was designed to have the bolt removed and installed several times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99 comments to go... But most importantly,
Where did you get sport glass sides from? I have never seen them listed on Mcneil site

Edit: ok I know where all my pennies are going to now...

What did you do with the factory sheet metal?

In previous pages of build. Its all cut out and gone.

Playing around on rocky gap trail here in las vegas

IMG_0965.JPG

In previous pages of build. Its all cut out and gone.
Nice, I havent made it that far into your build. Nice job so far on it. Definitely going to be watching it

What do you mean when you say you "cut & turned beams"?

What do you mean when you say you "cut & turned beams"?

Beams are cut turned to accommodate lift and go through travel cycle and still be able to be aligned. Simple pic attached.

ttb.JPG

I love the pic!!!
That is like 14" of lift
There are a few different ways to cut and turn beams anymore, the most popular one is to remove and re locate the lower ball joint.
I cut my beams similar to the pic above bot for 3" of drop and then extended 1.5" per side, the extra 3" of width is made up by running a custom spicer inner axle on the passenger side, from the slip yoke to the knuckle (get a blank D44 axle from spicer, have it cut and re splined) .
I run 2" drop brackets at the beam pivots with a 6" lift coil and retain stock alignment cams
It works very very well, more travel from the TTB while avoiding the weak (tall) drop brackets.

ttbspringseats.jpg

pic says 1/2" of spread. Might be just slightly exaggerated. just hope for the new guy he kinda understood what we were talking about. LOL.

After the trip Monday morning im considering swapping out to bronco beams completely.

And now im ordering the stronger locking hubs as I broke another on this trip.

Winch installed and bumper plated in more on Ex. Please excuse the destroyed garage. Also got new front and rear bumper installed on a Jeep over the long weekend

20190904_194604.jpg

20190904_194621.jpg

little work added to exploder. New leaf mounts with protected nut/ u-bolt

20190907_101651.jpg

We made it out to Hump and Bump this weekend and got it on the flex trailer.

Resized_20191102_145002.jpeg

Resized_20191102_144909.jpeg

Will get more pics up as I get them, but we almost went over trying to follow these guys up the line over the hole.

Resized_20191102_094301.jpeg

Installing fuel cell this week. To anyone that has added a cell to their explo....How did you tie new fuel lines into existing or did you run completely new all the way to fuel rail and return?

Loving your build! Your wheeling pics are making miss racing in the desert down there.

Here's my Sport. My original plan was to build it more as a prerunner, but with living in the PNW plans have changed slightly.

I'll be following your build for ideas!

KIMG1690.JPG

I spy James duff drop brackets?
PNW = trail duty!

I spy James duff drop brackets?
PNW = trail duty!

Hey, I've been following your BII since the original fordranger.com days. I've thought long and hard about doing C&T beams, but as you noticed I went the Duff route. Hard to beat the engineering that goes in to their package. I went with the 5.5" full kit and am happy with it so far.

Here's my build thread: '93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build

Yeah buddy!!!
Hey you were on Kunz corner? Man remember that old site? that was when the internet was born!! used to access with aol.com and a 14.4K modem
I have duff drop brackets on my BII, they are TOUGH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah buddy!!!
Hey you were on Kunz corner? Man remember that old site? that was when the internet was born!! used to access with aol.com and a 14.4K modem
I have duff drop brackets on my BII, they are TOUGH

Yep, I remember Kunz corner! I also remember thinking that a 4.0 throttle body, a K&N filter and some holes in my airbox made my 2.9 fast. Did you realize the heyday of that site was 1999 .... 20 years ago? I also made the jump to RRORC when Jim first started that. Those were the days when tech was tech ;)

Back