2016 Explorer Limited power gate won't close | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Limited power gate won't close

ceege

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, SK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hi all,

I have a 2016 Explorer and a few weeks ago our gate started acting up. Every time any method is used to open the gate (keyfob, door button, dash button or the kicking motion thing), it opens faster than it used to and only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Pushing anything again will continue to make it open more. Even when it's at the very top, it will still try to go up instead of down.

I've tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the height, but neither made a difference.

Closing and opening the gate seems smooth and where ever the gate is placed it stays. From what I've read in other threads sometimes a busted actuator can cause the motor to misbehave, but I don't think that's my issue. Are there any sensors used here that could be the problem (not telling the door to go down)? Or is this just the motor that's messed up? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The pre 2016 Manuals had a Liftgate Reset procedure. Not sure if it is valid on 2016+ Explorers.
Resetting the Power Liftgate
The liftgate may not operate properly and you may need to reset it if any
of these conditions occur:
• A low voltage or dead battery
• A disconnected battery
• You manually close the liftgate and leave it ajar (unlatched)
To reset the power liftgate:
1. Disconnect the battery for 20 seconds then, reconnect the battery.
2. Manually close and fully latch the liftgate.
3. Power open the liftgate by using the transmitter or the instrument
panel control button.

Do you get any tones when the 'gate' opens or tries to close? The system is equipped with "obstacle detection". BTW, the liftgate actuator is the motor. There is also a Left and Right "pinch sensor" although I've not read where anyone had to replace those. Several have members have replaced to "actuator".
Lift Gate for 2016 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
2016-2019 Ford Actuator GB5Z-14B351-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

The manual talks about disconnecting the battery for 20 seconds (which I've done) and you can hold the button on the door to reset the max height (which I've also done). I get the 3 tones every time you push the button.

The 3 tones when closing indicates that all is good. There should not be any tones when opening. Is this issue happening all the time or only occasionally? So if I understand correctly, there is no way to close it electronically. Is that right? If so, it could very well be an issue with the actuator. I'm hoping someone else will jump in here as well.

Peter

Yes it happens all the time. There is no way to close electronically. Interesting about the tones - I could have sworn it made noise when opening and closing. :dunno:

Yes it happens all the time. There is no way to close electronically. Interesting about the tones - I could have sworn it made noise when opening and closing. :dunno:
Anything different than 3 tones/chimes when closing, is an indication of a problem.

Peter

Hi all,

I have a 2016 Explorer and a few weeks ago our gate started acting up. Every time any method is used to open the gate (keyfob, door button, dash button or the kicking motion thing), it opens faster than it used to and only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Pushing anything again will continue to make it open more. Even when it's at the very top, it will still try to go up instead of down.

I've tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the height, but neither made a difference.

Closing and opening the gate seems smooth and where ever the gate is placed it stays. From what I've read in other threads sometimes a busted actuator can cause the motor to misbehave, but I don't think that's my issue. Are there any sensors used here that could be the problem (not telling the door to go down)? Or is this just the motor that's messed up? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance!
I hope this is of some help. I have posted some other responses and I’m trying to get everyone but it’s making me wait to post. Check out this and this is causing a drain on my fathers 2017 from explorer and he is blowing through battery’s left and right it’s beyond annoying I finally diagnosed it properly, this is the recall, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10156484-0001.pdf

I hope this is of some help. I have posted some other responses and I’m trying to get everyone but it’s making me wait to post. Check out this and this is causing a drain on my fathers 2017 from explorer and he is blowing through battery’s left and right it’s beyond annoying I finally diagnosed it properly, this is the recall, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10156484-0001.pdf
Please do not keep posting the same message after you received the Waiting for Approval notification. What that means is that the forum's program has found a match to a possible spam posting and approval is required from a moderator. Once approved the post will become visible to the members.

Peter

Please do not keep posting the same message after you received the Waiting for Approval notification. What that means is that the forum's program has found a match to a possible spam posting and approval is required from a moderator. Once approved the post will become visible to the members.

Peter
Sorry. I have never used this and I’m having trouble but I’m figuring it out. It’s multiple issue with this explorer. Can I share the diagnostics print out and how??

Sorry I may need to get on my CP this is acting funny. I apreciate all the info. I never had enough seen this and it’s good stuff on here. Only if I could work this page

5AEC38B9-08EE-441F-92FA-8AA32BB47472.jpeg B1EFA9A7-C3C6-4602-A267-CC6E3B4F90A7.jpeg 87DED87C-169F-4D95-8D53-A4E370C49EC2.jpeg 5E7C5FC6-5574-4FBA-AB57-C717FD95540A.jpeg 3350B28F-0F09-4F58-B8C6-BE8228811885.jpeg 2BF8D20C-4EC3-49C1-B0B4-02916C948D72.jpeg

Back