timing chain tensioners

Arne52101

Reaction score
City, State
Decorah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie bauer 06 4.0l
Hello all,

Want to replace my 2 Timing Chain Tensioners, this would be my first time changing these.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 06 Explorer EB 4.0L, has 182.000. on the clock.
Engine is running great and no chain rattle at all, the tensioners that are in now are the original.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leave 'em be!

If you decide to ignore this advice, use Ford part or Cloyes; pump up the new tensioner rapidly and many times in a jar half filled with 5w-30 -- until it is rock hard -- before you install; and buy at least 3 or 4 of the paper thin washers from the Ford dealer in case they don't seal properly. You have to use these, as there's an oil port just below the head that you'll block if you use a thicker washer.

Agree with Drewmcg. I asked same question a while back and received the same answer. I only have 73,000 miles.

Agree with Drewmcg. I asked same question a while back and received the same answer. I only have 73,000 miles.
Sorry, but I need to ask why, as far as I know ford recommends replacing them at 75,000.

Sorry, but I need to ask why, as far as I know ford recommends replacing them at 75,000.
Since I have a V8 I don't usually get involved in V6 discussions but - where did you hear that? What page is it on in the manual? I've never heard of a replacement interval for timing chain tensioners. Timing belts, yes. Tensioners no - although if you have a belt replaced you do the tensioners also. We have timing chains - I'm not aware of any scheduled maintenance on them.

The only scheduled maintenance on the timing chains is changing your oil regularly with quality oil and filter

Is there rattling on startup
Don't use cloyes motorcraft only
75000 mile intervals is kinda a explorerforum standard because of all the timing related problems
Don't fill the tensioner up with oil
install it dry with 1 thin ford washer keep the washer centred torque to 35 foot pounds
Disconnect coil pack spin the engine with the starter for 5 or so seconds
Hook up the coil pack and start it checks for leaks

If you pump up the tensioner s beforehand you will risk breaking your plastic guides
If it don't rattle on startup don't mess with it just my .2¢

Thank you donalds for your reply,
183000. now, engine is as quiet a mouse, even when its running. This Explorer and my 7.3 Excursion have been the most incredibly reliable vehicles i have owned. To date the only
engine parts replaced have been EGR valve, Throttle body and alternator. Lets not forget two
radiators and thermostat housings, now i have 1 pcs aluminium thermostat housing and no
more leaks.
Just about new when we got it, I have been using only amsoil 15/40 hd diesel / marine oil in it
for just over 10 years and change it 8/10000 miles. Reason for wanting to replace them is
to avoid any future issues, and yes I do know it wont last forever. It sounds like you have done
this before.
Arne

Oil change every 3-5 k no matter what!
10 w30 only ! In the 4.0 I use m-1
And yes been there done that and replaced a engine

Don't fill the tensioner up with oil
I disagree. You're banking on a (weak) spring to do all of the work for you until they pump up.
Oil change every 3-5 k no matter what!
10 w30 only !
Again, I respectfully disagree. Stick with the 5W-30 and 5k-7,500 miles interval recommended by Ford.

I do agree that full synthetic (with a longer service interval) can provide an advantage in the winter months, since it flows better when cold. And I don't have to crawl under the truck until Spring, too!

I disagree. You're banking on a (weak) spring to do all of the work for you until they pump up.

Again, I respectfully disagree. Stick with the 5W-30 and 5k-7,500 miles interval recommended by Ford.

I do agree that full synthetic (with a longer service interval) can provide an advantage in the winter months, since it flows better when cold. And I don't have to crawl under the truck until Spring, too!
Agree with with the above 100% 5W30 will flow quicker on start up especially in winter but still provides the same protection as 10W30 at operating temps. Would also prime the tensioners in a container of oil. When rebuilding engines lifters were primed and the engine was primed using an oil pump shaft to spin the pump until presure showed on the oil gauge. No dry starts.

Your correct on the oil I miss typed

Other than that about the tensioner s read the ford service manual lol

And btw your banking on that spring every morning you start your truck unless you install a pre oiler

You might be right, but I’m not certain it depressurizes overnight.

If it don't rattle on startup don't mess with it just my .2¢

I was thinking of replacing the two hydraulic tensioners every 75K or so as a preventative measure; with your advice, I plan to wait until the noise appears. Hope it won’t show up with my routine change of oil and oil filters.

I was thinking of replacing the two tensioners every 75K or so as a preventative measure; with your advice, I plan to wait until the noise appears. Hope it won’t show up with my routine change of oil and oil filters.
more tha tensioner pre-emptative replacement ive learned is 3k OCI!!! those and good filters seem to male a huge difference in longevity... and driving habits etc.

I agree!

However, I think the hydraulic tensioners will fail eventually as they should have rubber seals inside.

Oil changes are king with this motor
Just did the 99 today

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back