• Register Today It's free!

CarPlay with Waze Speedometer

Michael Lopour

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Expedition Limited 302A
Hello all, wondering if any of you use Waze on CarPlay and if you see the same issue as I have. I noticed it because in the past (using Waze on my phone screen) the speedometer works perfectly. However they've added it as a new feature on the CarPlay screen. Unfortunately it seems to be about 15% fast... I use a percentage because the app knows when the car isn't moving, and the variance gets wider as you go faster. I contacted Waze and they told me it was likely a problem with the vehicle/Ford. Anyone have any idea who would be best to contact? I'm assuming not at a dealer level on this.

Thanks,
Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same problem and I agree it's about a 15% increase shown on the screen.

But here's the thing: it's not a problem with Waze. I downloaded a speedometer app and got the exact same speed that Waze was reporting. So, it's not an app problem.

I did some research online and found some F150 folks with a similar problem as well as some Subaru people. What's causing the problem is a bit of a surprise: it's being plugged into the USB port.

Try this: view the problem on Waze within CarPlay, then unplug the phone from USB port and view the speed on Waze on the phone itself. You'll notice that it corrects itself right away. And so does any other speedo app. Plug it back in: the speed jumps 15% viewed on the phone or in CarPlay.

There's something about adding the power from the USB port that jacks-up the GPS computations. Location isn't affected, but the calculation to compute speed is somehow affected.

The Subaru folks have a fix and that is to fire up some native Subaru app before plugging into USB. I haven't yet found a workaround for Sync3/CarPlay. Oh, and by the way, I have the exact same issue in our Ford Fusion Energi also running Sync3/CarPlay.

Would love to have other folks test/confirm they're seeing the same thing. Thanks for posting this - you beat me to it.

Paul

I sort of agree but... if Waze knows the correct speed before I plug the phone in (and it does - I've used the Waze speedo for years) why doesn't it do a QC check between the GPS reading and whatever it gets from the vehicle? I really think it ought to be able to recognize the discrepancy. Not to mention when I try and turn off the speedometer I still get a display that reads a constant 140km/h. At the very least that's buggy.

Since it's the Waze app I'm not willing to say there's no problem with Waze. The speedometer on the vehicle reads identical to the Waze GPS. So something is getting lost in translation (I realize they may not come from the same vehicle source).

Apps that display current speed are not getting it from the vehicle. They're computing it from a priority list of two available sources: 1) GPS, 2) available WiFi, bluetooth, or cellular signals. In that order of preference. The theory is that plugging in the USB screws up the GPS feed enough that it either miscalculates it or falls back to cellular which is less accurate.

Again, this is all conjecture based on similar reports out there.

Check out this video from a Subaru owner who demonstrates his particular problem which is different than our 15% discrepancy.

More data for diagnosis... driving on a 20 mile trip yesterday afternoon. Using Waze/Carplay, speedometer malfunctioning as usual. About halfway there, the spotify starts cutting out as if I'm losing my internet connection (but I was playing downloaded tracks so that's not what was happening). Waze was consistently behind my actual location and never catches up. Eventually screen goes black and phone becomes unresponsive. I reboot the phone and reconnect, which works (and in some cases in the past has not). For the rest of the trip the Waze speedometer was accurate to 1mph. Once I restarted the car later on, the problem returned. I'm assuming whatever data fools Waze from the vehicle was no longer crossing the USB connection for that period of time. I think this effectively shoots Waze's theory that there is a problem with the vehicle and "nothing" they can do.

I chatted with a rep online with Ford yesterday. He told me they knew nothing of the issue; I'm guessing that wasn't true but shared a message board conversation I found in two minutes of searching. He told me to "key cycle" the vehicle?
1. Turn the vehicle completely off. The vehicle engine should not be running and the vehicle should not be in accessory mode. Many newer vehicles will keep the radio on, even when the car is turned off, until a door is opened.
2. Open the driver’s door and lock the door.
3. Close the driver’s door.
4. Wait two minutes and ensure the radio display turns off completely.
5. Restart the vehicle.
Has anyone done this before? I haven't tried yet, supposed to reset SYNC.
He also told me I already have the most recent version of SYNC, and wouldn't commit to any updates in the Explorer or anything else with SYNC 3 for that matter.

The F150s have the same issue. The Jeep Cherokee I have is doing the same thing.. I turned off the Waze MPH and just use the instrument cluster. I got tired of it flashing at me saying I was speeding. So now my radio screen is clear and I can see all points of the map.

I chatted with a rep online with Ford yesterday. He told me they knew nothing of the issue; I'm guessing that wasn't true but shared a message board conversation I found in two minutes of searching. He told me to "key cycle" the vehicle?
1. Turn the vehicle completely off. The vehicle engine should not be running and the vehicle should not be in accessory mode. Many newer vehicles will keep the radio on, even when the car is turned off, until a door is opened.
2. Open the driver’s door and lock the door.
3. Close the driver’s door.
4. Wait two minutes and ensure the radio display turns off completely.
5. Restart the vehicle.
Has anyone done this before? I haven't tried yet, supposed to reset SYNC.
He also told me I already have the most recent version of SYNC, and wouldn't commit to any updates in the Explorer or anything else with SYNC 3 for that matter.

I tried this procedure and "something" happened - it does seem like SYNC was reset. My car started on AM radio, even though all my sat presets remained. I also just tried the software update and it actually completed, told me I am on current version and updated last check date. However as I suspected it did not fix the Waze/Carplay issue.

I tried this procedure and "something" happened - it does seem like SYNC was reset. My car started on AM radio, even though all my sat presets remained. I also just tried the software update and it actually completed, told me I am on current version and updated last check date. However as I suspected it did not fix the Waze/Carplay issue.

It is an issue between Sync and Waze or Google Maps or any of the Phones MPH apps. If you use Waze without it being hooked up to the Sync it is correct. My F150 and the rental Jeep I have is doing the same thing. When I get back home to my EX or 150 I will try Android Auto and see how it is, I suspect it is going to be off also.

You did reset the Sync unit by doing what you described. There are also other ways to do it by holding down a few keys, just not sure which ones they are.

Ford is rolling out a new release that fixes this issue. It is on the dealer side for some vehicles so far but not on the owner site yet that I know of. Just an FYI.

Ford is rolling out a new release that fixes this issue. It is on the dealer side for some vehicles so far but not on the owner site yet that I know of. Just an FYI.
Thanks. Figured they were working on it, but now I'm just as disappointed in Ford as I am in Waze, not leveling with their customers.

Thanks. Figured they were working on it, but now I'm just as disappointed in Ford as I am in Waze, not leveling with their customers.

Not really sure why the Ford part of this. I have used Waze in Car Play for a few years with out one problem. All of a sudden something changes and it is off. I did not update my SYNC just the APPS on my phone. So my bet is Apple or Android changed something with the inter action of the API and messed up SYNC. I am not a programmer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Really it was working fine nothing changed on the Ford side, but the OS on the phone side has been updated along with all the APPS. My bet is the OS on the phones messed it up.

Not really sure why the Ford part of this. I have used Waze in Car Play for a few years with out one problem. All of a sudden something changes and it is off. I did not update my SYNC just the APPS on my phone. So my bet is Apple or Android changed something with the inter action of the API and messed up SYNC. I am not a programmer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Really it was working fine nothing changed on the Ford side, but the OS on the phone side has been updated along with all the APPS. My bet is the OS on the phones messed it up.
That’s my theory too.

"Hi Wazer,
I hope this email finds you well.

We are happy to say that a fix to the Carplay's speedometer speed has been officially released by Ford only on the owner.ford.com site. For any questions on how to update the system, please contact your local Ford company.

Best,

Sean
Waze Support Team"

Just received this. Unfortunately not seeing anything on the owner site yet. Anyone know anything about this?

"Hi Wazer,
I hope this email finds you well.

We are happy to say that a fix to the Carplay's speedometer speed has been officially released by Ford only on the owner.ford.com site. For any questions on how to update the system, please contact your local Ford company.

Best,

Sean
Waze Support Team"

Just received this. Unfortunately not seeing anything on the owner site yet. Anyone know anything about this?

It is rolling out slowly. The F150 guys have been checking it everyday. The dealers have the new software currently, and a few F150 folks have gotten it but not all of us. By next week it may be available to everyone

3.0 Build 19149 is the latest release for the older SYNC 3 APIMs, and should be available for dealers to update now or very shortly as mentioned above. TBD on when the owner portal or over-the-air updates.

Are over the air updates even possible yet. I don't think anyone has had any success with them. Still using the computer downloads to USB method.

Peter

Yeah, there have been several. Not sure on all the details though as far as which specific versions, regions and the like.

Saw a few links to a SYNC3_2807667713_Update.zip in the Waze forum discussing this issue - and they reference Sync 3 19205 build... I still don't have an update showing up in owner.ford.com for my 2019 Explorer Sport despite it being 3.0 build 18093... Anyone have any guidance or info on getting things to update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saw a few links to a SYNC3_2807667713_Update.zip in the Waze forum discussing this issue - and they reference Sync 3 19205 build... I still don't have an update showing up in owner.ford.com for my 2019 Explorer Sport despite it being 3.0 build 18093... Anyone have any guidance or info on getting things to update.

If you want it fixed properly, go to the dealer and have them update. If you're willing to wait a little longer, then the customer update looks like it should be available relatively soon, but can't say exactly when.

Back