2013 PIU Distance To Empty (DTE) Incorrect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU Distance To Empty (DTE) Incorrect

mmiz8606

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford PIU
Anyone having an issue with the distance to empty being way off?

Full tank shows 51 miles to empty.

Didn't notice this until I used forscan to disable the dark car feature and enabled remote start. Tried switching them back but it did not fix it.

Had to take it to the dealership for a couple recalls and an alignment. They told me just to drive it and it should correct itself but that was a month ago and it's still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone having an issue with the distance to empty being way off?

Full tank shows 51 miles to empty.

Didn't notice this until I used forscan to disable the dark car feature and enabled remote start. Tried switching them back but it did not fix it.

Had to take it to the dealership for a couple recalls and an alignment. They told me just to drive it and it should correct itself but that was a month ago and it's still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wondering the some thing. Mine is showing 5 miles to empty with fully filed tank. It’s probably because the ECU/BCM has been reset. I disconnected the battery when I remove the airbags working on the media switches. It was about a month ago, so it’s identical to yours. Just keep driving and it should fix it.

There are also threads in the "Discussion" sub forum on this issue.

Peter

Mine is doing the same except in reverse. Says I have 500 mile range on E85. I’m using the trip meter to see how many gallons used and miles traveled.

Mine is doing the same except in reverse. Says I have 500 mile range on E85. I’m using the trip meter to see how many gallons used and miles traveled.

I use the trip meter for calculation too. But sometimes it’s convenient to see how many miles left until I need to find another gas station (especially on long trips).

I guess bit-banging our vehicles might have caused the DTE calculation to be inaccurate.
I also noticed my cars instant milage goes from 99mpg to zero. Nothing Inbeween.
Average is running around 20mpg.
So I would think the computer calculates the size of the take, remaining fuel, instant mpg and average mpg to come up with DTE value.
Multiple tank refills and trips are not correcting DTE value.
And everything is miles away where I live so short trips are 20 miles and up one way for me.

I guess bit-banging our vehicles might have caused the DTE calculation to be inaccurate.
I also noticed my cars instant milage goes from 99mpg to zero. Nothing Inbeween.

Yep. Be very careful when just changing things based on spreadsheets posted on the internet, or even the default stuff in forscan (hint, it's just crowd sourced data).

Maybe go back and reflash your stock as built, then go back through your edits one by one to see where the dte got messed up.

Yep. Be very careful when just changing things based on spreadsheets posted on the internet, or even the default stuff in forscan (hint, it's just crowd sourced data).

Maybe go back and reflash your stock as built, then go back through your edits one by one to see where the dte got messed up.
What’s the best way to go back to as built?

You can find as built data from Ford website with your VIN. I don’t have the url right now but will update when I found it. (Guess Peter might have it.

I checked in engineering mode and everything looks normal except DTE. (The gas tank censor normal, the RAFE normal at 14.7~). Will try banging with ForScan this weekend.

Well, the best way is to save your as built data so you have a copy before you change it. Did you do that?

If not, you can try getting it from etis.

mmiz8606 Any update on this thread you started?

Just picked up a 2013 PIU with the same issue. 5 miles DTE with a full tank, gradually down to zero. I have not made any Forscan changes, just viewing. Since it was clearly messed with before I got it, I'd need my as-built data as well. Where does one find it?

Just picked up a 2013 PIU with the same issue. 5 miles DTE with a full tank, gradually down to zero. I have not made any Forscan changes, just viewing. Since it was clearly messed with before I got it, I'd need my as-built data as well. Where does one find it?
Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:
Have you gone through a full tank yourself and checked the DTE after a fillup or was that the number when you picked it up?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:
Have you gone through a full tank yourself and checked the DTE after a fillup or was that the number when you picked it up?

Peter

Thanks for the welcome Peter.

A figure of speech. I have driven it a few hundred miles and did a few fill ups, so I didn't "just" pick it up.

I casually scrolled through the on-dash menu when I first looked at it (idle hours, etc) so I didn't immediately pick up on the DTE issue until days later. I asked the seller and he said the Captain (was PDs capt vehicle) never mentioned anything. Maybe he never looked at it.

The cluster only displays coolant temp as the default, which I find immensely irritating. No other info avaliable besides fuel economy and DTE, which is obviously incorrect. Other PIUs I test drove had other info options like MPH. Maybe that will help narrow it down

There was a tsb on this for the 11 model year wonder if the vcds file needs an update

I was able to correct this issue this past weekend. I had to use IDS and wipe the IPC (instrument panel cluster) to as-built per Ford's database, and upload the latest config. I'm sure just the as-built only would be sufficient, but since it was an option, why not update. Not sure if someone was in Forescan and playing with settings before I got it.

I was able to correct this issue this past weekend. I had to use IDS and wipe the IPC (instrument panel cluster) to as-built per Ford's database, and upload the latest config. I'm sure just the as-built only would be sufficient, but since it was an option, why not update. Not sure if someone was in Forescan and playing with settings before I got it.
Is there a solution to this that does not involve IDS?

Is there a solution to this that does not involve IDS?

I mean, the latest beta Forscan with extended license does do firmware, but it's totally at your own risk.

You're close. I work in Shirley. I could just plug it in and do it for you. 😂

I mean, the latest beta Forscan with extended license does do firmware, but it's totally at your own risk.

You're close. I work in Shirley. I could just plug it in and do it for you. 😂
I would love to coordinate doing it with you and meeting up! My DTE has been messed up since editing in Forscan (originally the full tank showed 100 mi to empty with my initial edits, and ever since reverting it back, it shows 400 mi to empty and even at 1/4 tank it still shows 150 mi, but the number seems to jump every time I start my car.

And if we meet up, we can maybe discuss how to actually get to the vent for changing PTU fluid. 😂

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I did something similar. I enabled keyless entry and disabled dark car. I also enabled some miscellaneous stuff like compass. It completely broke DTE for me, it's literally 999 miles to E (I wish). Could try resetting it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes or so, maybe that'd work? I've yet to try it on my vehicle.
20220929_205748.jpg

Back