• Register Today It's free!

AC Leak

baddriver

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 XLT
I have a leak in the AC... added dye, but cannot find anything under the hood...however I did notice my transmission and front driveshaft was glowing green. Is this the evaporator leaking down through?
IMG_20190917_183551.jpg
the dash?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a leak in the AC... added dye, but cannot find anything under the hood...however I did notice my transmission and front driveshaft was glowing green. Is this the evaporator leaking down through?View attachment 173891 the dash?

I just went through having to replace my ac evaporator core. It was actively dripping refrigerant above the transmission, which was pooling on the side of my transmission pan.

How difficult was it removing the dash. I can't seem to find any guidance the process.

While you had the dash opened up did you also replace the AC plenum box that craps out?

How difficult was it removing the dash. I can't seem to find any guidance the process.

While you had the dash opened up did you also replace the AC plenum box that craps out?

I let my mechanic take care of this one, since as I understand it, airbags have to be removed and put back in place when you are finished. I am not qualified/did not have enough experience to do that. If you were going to attempt it yourself, I would definitely replace other easily accessable components while you are in there. Most of the cost of replacing the evaporator and nearby ac components is labor, not the actual cost of the parts themselves.

There are interior trim removal tools on Amazon that are inexpensive that will help you remove the interior trim pieces without scratching them. Just carefully research how to safely remove the airbags.

Back