4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange

Don ~ Well, thank you, sir -- I will take a good hard look at the balancer.
If you can post a YouTube video of the sound that would help tons

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size engine can I exchange my 4.0 soch in my '01 sport track. Years also would be helpful
Didn't read to see if anyone replied but for 01 you can get an 02 or 03 and they will bolt right up. I have an 01 and got an 02 when mine went.

I have put 04+ SOHC engine into earlier trucks too, it gets a little tricky because the 04+ SOHC does not have the hole in the top of the block for the crankcase breather box that is under the intake of the 97-03 engines. However with some careful PCV plumbing a few tricks to work around the different intakes and thermostat housings it can be done and we have done it more then once here
The SOHC engine was built until what 2014?

I have put 04+ SOHC engine into earlier trucks too, it gets a little tricky because the 04+ SOHC does not have the hole in the top of the block for the crankcase breather box that is under the intake of the 97-03 engines. However with some careful PCV plumbing a few tricks to work around the different intakes and thermostat housings it can be done and we have done it more then once here
The SOHC engine was built until what 2014?
I wanted to install an intercooler on mine but the crankcase breather / separator box was in the way I had to grind the plug flat I'm sure I can cut a slot in it to get it out...for the lower plenum of my install kit

On the newer engine s I see there is just a freeze plug there

:bow:How did you do it ?

on the 05 engine we recently installed into a late build 01 sport trac the engine block had no freeze plug for the pcv breather box, it was cast
The boys (my stepsons 32 and 30 now) did not want to use the 05 style intake it complicates things.
So they came to me for help and we sorted it out, they did all the work on this one. They used the 01 one piece sohc plenum and plumbed the pcv system with using a combo of parts of 01 and 05 intake PCV plumbing system/hoses.
If you park both intakes next to each other it will become clear
I can get pictures next time I/we do this and report details
the sport trac runs awesome with low mile 05 long block under the hood
I usually install a few sohc engines a year just to keep these old trucks going.........this trac my stepsons are selling/flipping

My info from research here on EF says we can use SOHC replacements from 97-2010 whether it is explorer, ranger or mustang
Here: So that is what we have attempted and it has worked out each time
Getting your hands on low mile late model sohc engines is the fun part..

The upgraded camshaft timing chain related components will fit in any Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 from 1997 to 2010. The installation and timing of the camshafts normally requires the OTC-6488 timing tool kit that can't be rented but may be purchased used for about $150. The installation and timing is not difficult but is labor intensive and requires attention to detail when following specific written instructions. Incorrect installation or timing can result in the destruction of the engine (pistons striking valves) on start up.

There are significant differences over the years in intake manifolds, valve covers, throttle bodies, EGR configuration and probably other things I don't know about or can think of at this time. The differences would have to be transferred from the original engine to the replacement engine. Its enough work to discourage many Explorer owners from purchasing a different year or make of engine. That makes less demand for SOHC V6 Mustang engines for Explorers which keeps the selling price lower.

Back