• Register Today It's free!

Introduction

01Xp4ME

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ford Explorer Sport
Please be kind if I say things in the wrong places, as this is my 1st time on a forum (suggested by my son) I'm familiar w/social media; Just new to forums :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think my 2001 Explorer Sport has Eddie Bauer package; But then again maybe not. I don't find the insignia anywhere, but when I try to find seats etc, they look like EB. It's Very confusing and frustrating. I have some things I haven't seen on any other Explorer, so hard to make a comparison at time when looking for parts etc.

I'm hoping this forum will give me a better understanding and lessen my confusion.
btw, I love my Explorer. It's got 225,000 miles on it. Starts like new and runs like a champ. My main concerns are interior and small items deteriorating due to use and age.

01Xp4Me

EX1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you post a picture of the rear hatch? The trim level should be shown there on a badge.

did you purchase this truck new? I see adjustable headrests,

Can you post a picture of the rear hatch? The trim level should be shown there on a badge.

did you purchase this truck new? I see adjustable headrests,

No, I purchased it from a dealer 2nd hand.
You're right. They are adjustable head rests, in tan leather. I need to replace the driver's seat but haven't had any success finding any on line OR at Pull&Pays -- I am 100% up for suggestions / experienced advice.
No EB badge on the rear hatch. I've just been told by 2 peeps - maybe EB as they scratch their heads.

EX4.jpg

EX10.jpg

Ford was pretty proud of the eddie affiliation, I see no EB embroidery on the seats.

Since doing anything to the seats means taking them out of the truck--you can try to repair the sagging seat foam and springs,

I copied this from post #1153 in the thread linked in my signature " 2000 Mountaineer"

Here is what I found
View attachment 159132

View attachment 159133

oopsie, one doesn't look like the other

View attachment 159134

A friggin slacker spring!

View attachment 159135

View attachment 159137

View attachment 159138
I put a tiny downward bend to the bolster rod so the wire would stay put and retain the spring ^^^^^
Then I ran a chunk of old rear floor mat under the wires, carpeted side toward foam, to keep them from cutting into the foam. Zip tie to put sideways tension on the wires as the rope was broken
View attachment 159139

^^ hope this helps

then, cover them with a high quality seat cover--upholstery

Leather Material Pure Color With Bright Lines Design Truck Seat Covers - beddinginn.com

09c48e56-8340-4dd3-95c7-5ddec6ef37cf.jpg

Thank you for the info.

I apologize;
I may not have given enough info
(or pics) as to my real dilemma.

Tan leather drivers seat is almost shot- My fault. I'd never had leather and didn't take good care of it. Now seat by door has chunks of foam coming out of it due to wear. It's electric - but dead/frozen (ever since I purchased it) I don't necessarily need electric, but would like one that looks nice and slides forward/ backwards. The passenger one is perfect, so even another passenger one would be fine to me. I'd love to just replace the whole thing but can't seem to find a replacement. Not only due to cosmetics, but I feel it's a safety hazard if some one needed to get out of back seat quickly. Not to mention, my grand children's car seat is behind the drivers seat.

thanQ,
:whitenavajo:01Xp4Me

EX2.jpg

EX3.jpg

Ok, you could have just said you parked in a campsite and a bear got in, or, you got a new puppy,
:laugh:
Just kidding. Pretty sure just about any year explorer "seat" will bolt onto your seat power base-frame unit.

01Xp4ME, my wife's is currently driving her 3rd Explorer Sport. IIRC the only badge on the 2 door Sport's is the Sport name badge on the hatch. The 2 door Sport's (at least the 3 we have had) have been highly optioned models.

Ok, you could have just said you parked in a campsite and a bear got in, or, you got a new puppy,
:laugh:
Just kidding. Pretty sure just about any year explorer "seat" will bolt onto your seat power base-frame unit.

You can laugh. I know its bad:(, and 100% my fault. I never dreamed I would fall in love w/my truck and didn't take time to care for the leather. Now my chore to fix what I broke.
Let me ask you this... Do you know if there's a way or place to just order a brand new one somewhere? I've been looking for used one over 2 years. Not gonna be able to sit on it much longer...

01Xp4ME, my wife's is currently driving her 3rd Explorer Sport. IIRC the only badge on the 2 door Sport's is the Sport name badge on the hatch. The 2 door Sport's (at least the 3 we have had) have been highly optioned models.

Thank-You. Good to hear that. Yes it's got lots of bells and whistles to be sure.
I'll ask you too. any ideas on where I can get a replacement Driver's seat. I don't even care if it's electric or not. I need one that slides front/back mainly for safety.

Also upholstery shot- My fault. Since I'm new to forums, can you tell me if you can see the pics? If not I can resend them to you too.

You might try something like this.

Seat Search | The Seat Shop

Thank-You. Talking with them now. They're thinking maybe XLT. I texted them some picks (where the bear got ahold of it *wink) Gonna get back to me. Also Gave me a couple local shops. Wow! This forum is awesome. I'll get on this now, then try for help with the smaller items.

:whitenavajo:01Xp4ME

01Xp4ME, yes the pics showed up fine. I needed a seat for our Sport when we got it, so I checked around to some of the local wrecking yards/junk yards & purchased one out of an Explorer so it was a bolt in job. Remove the old seat, & bolt in the replacement. Or you could do like Turdle recommended find a local to you upholsterer & get it repaired.

Did the dealer you got it from have any kind of repair history - particularly if the timing chain components had been replaced at some point? That's the downside to your particular explorer with 225,000 on it.... just in case you're pondering investing into quality/ expensive replacement seats / covers etc... Don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news but knowledge is better before hand than later...

Did the dealer you got it from have any kind of repair history - particularly if the timing chain components had been replaced at some point? That's the downside to your particular explorer with 225,000 on it.... just in case you're pondering investing into quality/ expensive replacement seats / covers etc... Don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news but knowledge is better before hand than later...

Oh just great. I don't know what to do now. I'm wanting to repair what is damaged, but it's only worth so much.
I know absolutely nothing about the timing chain being replaced or not....

I don't believe the Sport ever got an Eddie Bauer trim designation. I think this trim level was only available on the 4-door Explorers. I had a 2000 4-door XLT that had almost every option that my EB has, so the XLT can be optioned up.

The trim levels available on the 4-door Explorer were: XL, XLS, XLT and Eddie Bauer. I'm not sure about the 2-door Sports. Some had no trim designation and some I've seen said XLT on the rear lift-gate.

+1 on theseatshop.com

Oh just great. I don't know what to do now. I'm wanting to repair what is damaged, but it's only worth so much..
I know absolutely nothing about the timing chain being replaced or not....

I've heard of some people putting thousands of miles on these SOHC engines AFTER they start exhibiting failing timing chain cassettes / guides.....- clicking/ tapping noise..... I'm sure others had somewhat instant engine failure....so it's a roll of the dice... so just go cheap on seat repairs for now. Maybe prematurely changing oil might help keeping existing components going a bit longer than usual.
As mentioned, and a real long shot but maybe contact dealer you got in from and see if person who traded it in submitted repairs they had done.... unlikely - especially if you got it a while back... but worth a shot...

@01Xp4ME

Welcome to the forum!

Just sayin; 18 y.o. going on 19 y.o. Explorer. Most of us are running over 200,000 miles - just like you. In short, you're going to have to do some internet searching and or legwork ;)

Small Interior and Exterior Parts = Wrecking Yard / Pick and Pull / LKQ online wreckers / Ebay

Re-upholstery of Seats = This is your comfort we're talking about. :thumbsup:
Better to spend a little money and get them reupholstered, rather than spend good money on used 18/19 year old seats = same age & over 200,000 miles = same amount of butt wear, deteriorated foam, and sagging springs/broken support wires.

What I'm getting at is that Orlando Florida, like California is a high heat area.
Add to it FL's high humidity, and more-than-likely any used seat that you locally source in your price range will be significantly any better than what you have because the leather and foam will have broken down in the heat and humidity. Not saying they can't be found, but...

Suggestion: Try to search for a upholstery shop in a low overhead area that more than likely you can do a cash deal with.

Google Search Link: automotive upholstery in Orlando fl - Google Search

I don't know the low overhead areas near Orlando.

If you were out here in Nor Cal, I'd direct you to Oakland, Pittsburg, or unincorporated South Sacramento.

Hope that helps!

Back