Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good luck ASS is designed to waste gas, burn the battery up and let you get T boned making a left turn........some people ( blow up whistle blower) love to lie about the facts to cover the ford SDIQ management .......however good news and truth will prevail as 4DTech will soon have a easy module for about $100 to disable permanently.

Please post/link 1 accident from AS/S where someone got t-boned. Also, AS/S saves fuel, not uses more. I get YOU do not like it but stop posting crap that isnt true.

I will be the first one to tell anyone that the Stop-Start lark is nothing but feel good BS for some elements of our society. Thankfully, it can be done away with using this:

I bought one, and installed it in less than 10 minutes....problem solved! I highly recommend this for anyone who gets triggered everytime this SS nonsense intrudes on your driving pleasure. I am not affiliated with this device in anyway. I just simply cannot stand what it does by constantly turning the car off-on-off-on-off-...bloody hell, enough already! Best 90 bucks spent so far. Thanks /m

I will be the first one to tell anyone that the Stop-Start lark is nothing but feel good BS for some elements of our society. Thankfully, it can be done away with using this:

I bought one, and installed it in less than 10 minutes....problem solved! I highly recommend this for anyone who gets triggered everytime this SS nonsense intrudes on your driving pleasure. I am not affiliated with this device in anyway. I just simply cannot stand what it does by constantly turning the car off-on-off-on-off-...bloody hell, enough already! Best 90 bucks spent so far. Thanks /m

You could use your right index finger for free and shut it off. Hell, that would make it a 2 button sequence instead of one to start the vehicle (push start button, push as/a off as you go to turn the rotary dial). First world problems, my goodness.

Just an fyi, 2 posts above yours was the link to the product.

My dealer provided me with a new Edge that had the Stop/Start feature and I didn't feel that it intruded on my driving pleasure, so to speak, in any way at all. Once stopped, as soon as you start to release the brake, the engine is running before you can even put your foot on the accelerator.

Peter

You could use your right index finger for free and shut it off. Hell, that would make it a 2 button sequence instead of one to start the vehicle (push start button, push as/a off as you go to turn the rotary dial). First world problems, my goodness.

Just an fyi, 2 posts above yours was the link to the product.
And no possible warranty implications.:)

Peter

As with the F-150 forum posts on this "technology", there are those who are not really bothered by it, and others who absolutely loath it. As will all things, there are opinions regarding most things in this life. In my posting here, I am in solidarity with only those individuals who are in the same boat as I am, i.e., I absolutely hate the damn thing. Just because there are those who disagree with this opinion, I am in no way trying to convince you who like SS to change your mind, that is your prerogative to keep it. No issues as I don't have a dog in that fight, but again, my message is to join with those who believe this device is too intrusive to their experience driving what they own and have paid for. As for me, being older, I am not used to cars turning off by itself at regular intervals, and being mechanically minded, it bothers me a lot to the point of being annoying. Again, this opinion is only given in solidarity with the group who does not like it, and I have provided an avenue to help bring a solution to stop it without further intervention. In this case, its a help to share information to those who do not know about this alternative. Being attacked for bringing it to the attention of those who don't know is a form of censorship which is not acceptable. Message boards have the primary benefit of sharing information freely with others (as long as it is not offensive)....so its up to the individual to choose what THEY want to do, and not be told what is and what is not beneficial....to them or their vehicle or the way they drive. We buy these cars, and its up to us how we want them to work...for us as its owner.

Best regards /m

I'd want it disabled also. I'm forced to take the key out every time I get out of the seat of my work vehicle, so I end up start/stopping the engine about 40+ times a day. That's terrible for the key cylinder, and not good for the starter or battery either.

Major word of advice for those going absolutely bonkers over auto start/stop:

Don’t ever get a hybrid.

A hybrid does it right, when the motor shuts off you have electric A/C so no reduction in cooling capacity, also the hybrid takes off immediately since its using the electric motor to propel the car forward no waiting for a starter to turn on the gas engine. The Ford HF35 transaxle is a real masterpiece of engineering.

A hybrid does it right, when the motor shuts off you have electric A/C so no reduction in cooling capacity, also the hybrid takes off immediately since its using the electric motor to propel the car forward no waiting for a starter to turn on the gas engine. The Ford HF35 transaxle is a real masterpiece of engineering.
The Explorer will maintain A/C if it is required by not shutting down the motor. Also, as stated several times the motor starts up as soon as brake pressure is released, so it also will take off immediately since the engine is running by the time you put your foot on the gas.

Peter

The Explorer will maintain A/C if it is required by not shutting down the motor. Also, as stated several times the motor starts up as soon as brake pressure is released, so it also will take off immediately since the engine is running by the time you put your foot on the gas.

Peter
Well thats good you have first hand knowledge they fixed it in the new Explorer. My experience a few years ago I had a 2015 Focus with the 1.0 Ecoboost 3 cyl and auto start stop.you could pull into a tacobell drive thru in the 100 plus summers with the A/C on max and the car would still shut off motor and you could feel the A/C getting hot it would finally start but you could definitely tell the difference in A/C temp. My car was a stick so as soon as you push in the clutch the motor starts back up however it was not smooth and you could feel the jerkiness of the 3 cyl engine come back to life. The good news was after so long the auto start just quit working I think it was due to the state of the charge being low on the battery but it was one feature i didn't care to have the dealer fix.

Well thats good you have first hand knowledge they fixed it in the new Explorer. My experience a few years ago I had a 2015 Focus with the 1.0 Ecoboost 3 cyl and auto start stop.you could pull into a tacobell drive thru in the 100 plus summers with the A/C on max and the car would still shut off motor and you could feel the A/C getting hot it would finally start but you could definitely tell the difference in A/C temp. My car was a stick so as soon as you push in the clutch the motor starts back up however it was not smooth and you could feel the jerkiness of the 3 cyl engine come back to life. The good news was after so long the auto start just quit working I think it was due to the state of the charge being low on the battery but it was one feature i didn't care to have the dealer fix.

It's been noted by myself and others in this thread that the auto start/stop will restart to keep the cabin at the set temperature. It also restarts instantly when you take your foot off the brake and is ready to go before you step on the gas. I've lived with it for almost 4,000 miles now; there's a lot of unnecessary fussing going on about this subject.

It's been noted by myself and others in this thread that the auto start/stop will restart to keep the cabin at the set temperature. It also restarts instantly when you take your foot off the brake and is ready to go before you step on the gas. I've lived with it for almost 4,000 miles now; there's a lot of unnecessary fussing going on about this subject.
I know that if you know the tech at the dealership you an ask him to deactivate it....

my issue is with the auto-hold / auto-stop. I love the auto-hold, but with auto turned on, i'm stepping on the gas expecting the car to go, and instead its starting. it wouldn't be an issue without auto hold... by the time the foot comes off the break and onto the gas, i agree the engine has started.

Thank you axis of evil for posting this aftermarket solution to ASS. Installed yesterday in 8 minutes. Luckily we have such talent in the aftermarket to neutralize the incompetence of ford engineers and the politically correct swamp at Ford. My condolences to all of those who own Ford stock.......which has it’s own ASS feature, Auto Down Auto Down more.

Absolutely no "incompetence" on Ford's part. The feature works as designed. BTW, Ford is not the only manufacturer to have introduced this Stop/Start technology. I keep wondering why you actually bought this vehicle since you rarely have anything good to say about the brand, going back to the 5th gen. :dunno:

Peter

Thank you axis of evil for posting this aftermarket solution to ASS. Installed yesterday in 8 minutes. Luckily we have such talent in the aftermarket to neutralize the incompetence of ford engineers and the politically correct swamp at Ford. My condolences to all of those who own Ford stock.......which has it’s own ASS feature, Auto Down Auto Down more.

My condolences to you for being so unhappy in life. The fact that every post of yours is so negative, maybe it would be best for you to not visit forums and spread such negativity

You seem to be a very bitter unhappy forum member. If you are that miserable with your vehicle, you should just sell it so you can get something that better suits you. Every post of yours is a negative slam about the product. Perhaps this forum isnt the best place for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i’m guessing this solution won’t work with the new aviator since the SS is an onscreen selection?

Back