View from Beneath a 2020 Explorer

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Aviator Reserve
Thought some forum members would like to see what the underside of a 2020 Explorer looks like, so I put my new Platinum up in the air and rolled around the floor on a creeper snapping some pics. Three things caught my eye:

1. There's an "Adaptive Valve" on the inlet to the muffler. I've never seen one of these before.

2. Interesting that some front suspension parts show the specific aluminum alloy (AlSiMgCuMn) used.

3. Changing oil and filter will involve removing quite a few fasteners to lower the protective panels.

Photos were taken with a decent Digital SLR, so they're high-resolution images. Thus, I have uploaded them to the cloud to avoid compresssion and loss of resolution. If you'd like to see these photos, look here:

2020 Explorer Photos

BTW, the underside isn't as clean as I hoped it would be. I suspect it got splashed when my Explorer was moved from Chicago Assembly to Flat Rock for inspection and repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone questioned the battery location and how one could access it. Must be buried. Any chance you could take a couple of shots of it too?
Thanks for the undercarriage photos.

Someone questioned the battery location and how one could access it. Must be buried. Any chance you could take a couple of shots of it too?
Thanks for the undercarriage photos.

The battery access cover pops right off with a couple of pressure clips and the panel over the battery is removed with a couple of plastic screwserts. These are AGM batteries so sealed with no top off plugs.

Wow the way they run dual pipes all the way back to the first muffler (or whatever it would be) and then come right back out dual... sure seems like aftermarket would pretty easily come up with cool exhaust options.

Wow the way they run dual pipes all the way back to the first muffler (or whatever it would be) and then come right back out dual... sure seems like aftermarket would pretty easily come up with cool exhaust options.

Anxiously awaiting for Borla, Bilstein, and EBC to release some goodies.

Yes, I hope someone can make this 3.0 sound more V8ish with the exhaust. I know a V6 wont be a V8.. but the sound is far better than any V6 exhaust I have heard.

I wonder if that adaptive valve is for emissions or sound control. I’ve got a ‘20 Platinum as well and notice a great change in sound in sport mode. I was confused as I thought only the ST’s had active sound enhancement through the speakers, so this would be cool to know if the sound actually changed.

Glad to see these undercarriage photos especially after watching SavageGeese’s videos where he does this for every car he reviews.

I wonder if that adaptive valve is for emissions or sound control. I’ve got a ‘20 Platinum as well and notice a great change in sound in sport mode. I was confused as I thought only the ST’s had active sound enhancement through the speakers, so this would be cool to know if the sound actually changed.

Glad to see these undercarriage photos especially after watching SavageGeese’s videos where he does this for every car he reviews.

From what little info I've found about adaptive valves online, apparently they exist to deal with noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) issues. The adaptive valve on our Platinum Explorers does not have any means of external control, so it isn't used to selectively change the exhaust note.

I wonder if the adaptive valve is used only on the Platinum model. Maybe they don't care about having a little NVH on the ST? Also, I don't know if the Platinum has exhaust-sound enhancement through the speakers, but I sure can hear that V6 roar whenever I mash my right hoof on the accelerator pedal.

Some info about adaptive valves here:

https://altairenlighten.com/wp-cont...7-Enlighten-Award-Faurecia-Adaptive-Valve.pdf

From what little info I've found about adaptive valves online, apparently they exist to deal with noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) issues. The adaptive valve on our Platinum Explorers does not have any means of external control, so it isn't used to selectively change the exhaust note.

I wonder if the adaptive valve is used only on the Platinum model. Maybe they don't care about having a little NVH on the ST? Also, I don't know if the Platinum has exhaust-sound enhancement through the speakers, but I sure can hear that V6 roar whenever I mash my right hoof on the accelerator pedal.

Some info about adaptive valves here:

https://altairenlighten.com/wp-cont...7-Enlighten-Award-Faurecia-Adaptive-Valve.pdf

Interesting to read about. The car does sound nice. I find road noise to be at a minimum as well. Hopefully some people will photograph the bottom of these vehicles.

One question regarding NVH, you know if the Platinums have acoustic laminated glass all around? I’ve read that somewhere but I don’t know how to confirm it.

According to the Owner's Manual, only the ST has, "Unique electronic sound enhancement in Sport Selectable Drive Mode." Lots of useful info in the Manual.;)

Peter

According to the Owner's Manual, only the ST has, "Unique electronic sound enhancement in Sport Selectable Drive Mode." Lots of useful info in the Manual.;)

Peter
Question: I assume that means the piped in sounds is only in Sport mode? Is the car otherwise mostly quiet during the other "regular" driving modes?

Question: I assume that means the piped in sounds is only in Sport mode? Is the car otherwise mostly quiet during the other "regular" driving modes?
I would guess so. I don't have a 2020 Ex. so I am going by the Manual.

Peter

Correct. There is something of a “performance“ sound when pushed hard in the other modes - inside the car. I can’t detect any kind of hot rod note outside the car in any mode. I’m happy with the “sleeper” implications of that.

Back