Center Console Mystery Connector

Bobby Bizzle

Reaction score
City, State
Ada, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Howdy,

I searched around and couldn't find an answer. If you happen to know where to look please let me know.

I bought a 2014 PIU 3.5L from auction and it's great. I've been installing creature comforts, like a new center console and hooking up the 12V charging ports along with a rear view camera. I've been trying to figure out what the connectors under the console are and if it's safe to hook up to a 12V charger.

Connector 1 (2x) - V+ and ground: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KqoyG7xuqGWrN1Ls5
Connector 2 V+ and ground: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eFhWSaGUtjnAvLAQ7
Connector 3 : https://photos.app.goo.gl/rcwyThGPAz3cYMEHA

My questions are, what is connector 3? Can I use the ignition power pins (whatever they're called when they get power when the key is turned) for 12V chargers? What do you all normally do for your 12V chargers? Do you go directly to the battery (through a fuse)? Your guidance is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure there are several ways of doing what you want, but.... When I added console to my 2015 I had to remove the lower center section of the dash, as the console replaces that. That lower section had power port connections, so I just made extension connections to the civilian console. Now that I think of it, not sure if that is always on power, or auto shut-off after 30 minutes.

The plugs from the lower section are always on power. If you want a delay shut off or instant off, you will have to wire them to something else.

Mine is a 2013 with a retail center console. I wired the plugs (the one inside the center console and other one above the 2nd row cup holders) to the 6 pin police equipment power (with additional fuses) so they are instant off when I shut off the engine. The one in front (with the microsoft logo cover) I left it always on so I can charge my backup power-bank under the cover.

Thanks everyone, got it figured out and am happily charging my phones!

Are you all splicing into the plug wires under there or are you all buying the connectors and pins that plug into those harnesses?

I just got mine. Pulled the center retail console out that was thrown in there and I found 4 plugs under the dash and the retail console had one massive plug and a micro usb plugged in that were cut off about 6-8 in from the plug.

Are you all splicing into the plug wires under there or are you all buying the connectors and pins that plug into those harnesses?

I just got mine. Pulled the center retail console out that was thrown in there and I found 4 plugs under the dash and the retail console had one massive plug and a micro usb plugged in that were cut off about 6-8 in from the plug.

I bought the counterpart for the massive connector from a scrap yard (since it is not sold standalone) and wired some of them for the center console (I got both power points working and the fancy back lighting). The usb plug is the media hub for sync purpose (I have an after market stereo and couldn't figure out how to reuse it so I removed the media hub and trying to figure out what I can put in there).

I bought the counterpart for the massive connector from a scrap yard (since it is not sold standalone) and wired some of them for the center console (I got both power points working and the fancy back lighting). The usb plug is the media hub for sync purpose (I have an after market stereo and couldn't figure out how to reuse it so I removed the media hub and trying to figure out what I can put in there).

Do you recall what wires you used to get the led back lighting to work? I haven't dug back into the wiring diagrams or pulled apart my dash yet to try and ding the wires to connect to the console for led lighting in the console. I was also thinking about using the same portion of wiring harness you said you have as mine came with about 8"-10" of that plug handing off the console connector so I have wire to splice into, I just have to see if all oof that is in the wiring diagram somewhere, but I assume it'a s scattered across the whole thing.
img_0340-e1575912990661.png

Power Point is a little more straight forward and for the radio/usb, I have the stock head unit and it appears to just be a cable with a clip on each end to connect it all together, It's a $20 cable so I just need to order that but that looks like a really easy one to get working (I hope).

I started a blog (very early and needs some work) to document my repairs so happy to add these directions if I can get it figured out, I'll start adding these so they are easy to follow instructions. Explorer Police Interceptor Mods

Do you recall what wires you used to get the led back lighting to work? I haven't dug back into the wiring diagrams or pulled apart my dash yet to try and ding the wires to connect to the console for led lighting in the console. I was also thinking about using the same portion of wiring harness you said you have as mine came with about 8"-10" of that plug handing off the console connector so I have wire to splice into, I just have to see if all oof that is in the wiring diagram somewhere, but I assume it'a s scattered across the whole thing.

It should be pin #10 12V+ and #21 GND for the center console illumination. I wired them to an ACC power source so it lit up as soon as I turn on the key (no matter if the dash lit or not). If you want it to be sync with the dash, use the pin #7 (12V+) from C299 (the 14-pin police option connector under the center dash).

It should be pin #10 12V+ and #21 GND for the center console illumination. I wired them to an ACC power source so it lit up as soon as I turn on the key (no matter if the dash lit or not). If you want it to be sync with the dash, use the pin #7 (12V+) from C299 (the 14-pin police option connector under the center dash).

Thanks for sharing and offering both options along with the pins. Now to tear it all apart again.

Thanks for sharing and offering both options along with the pins. Now to tear it all apart again.

No problem. :)

My center console is not tighten down yet since I’m still making some more MOD. Save me some headache when tearing it down again.

Back