2010 Explorer Transmission Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer Transmission Problem

alex5357

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone and thank for accepting me in this forum.

My name is Alex and I’m a happy ( before transmission problem started ) owner of 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L with Automatic Transmission ( I do believe 5 speed 5R55S ) Rear Wheel Drive .

But I only bought it 2 Months ago and yesterday my transmission gave up on me as I do believe.
So any advice will be really appreciated.

So the symptoms I have is when it’s cold and you put it in Driver or Reverse it will only stay engaged for maybe 10 seconds and only in 1st gear and then it’s starting to sleep or whatever it is and feels like it’s in neutral.I connect my buddies OBD2 and it’s showing P0775 Code for Solenoid B, so I was wondering will it help to replace just a solenoid or do I have to rebuild a whole transmission?
Thank you so much in advance .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone and thank for accepting me in this forum.

My name is Alex and I’m a happy ( before transmission problem started ) owner of 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L with Automatic Transmission ( I do believe 5 speed 5R55S ) Rear Wheel Drive .

But I only bought it 2 Months ago and yesterday my transmission gave up on me as I do believe.
So any advice will be really appreciated.

So the symptoms I have is when it’s cold and you put it in Driver or Reverse it will only stay engaged for maybe 10 seconds and only in 1st gear and then it’s starting to sleep or whatever it is and feels like it’s in neutral.I connect my buddies OBD2 and it’s showing P0775 Code for Solenoid B, so I was wondering will it help to replace just a solenoid or do I have to rebuild a whole transmission?
Thank you so much in advance .
@alex5357
Pressure Control Solenoid B controls hydraulic pressure to the transmission's components when in 2nd. gear. It influences the shift from 1st. to 2nd. It still allows low pressure to act against Solenoid A pressure, while in 1st. gear.

To analyze the true problem adequately requires equipment and technique beyond our "back alley" abilities, so if you care to gamble a bit, and the p0775 is the ONLY code shown, you can replace the solenoid module with a new one. Forget about cheap rebuilds.

You cannot replace only the one solenoid, as they are serviced as a module containing all 8 solenoids. This may be done with the transmission in the vehicle. IMO, replacing the solenoid module will take care of the problem, but no guarantees. imp

@alex5357
Pressure Control Solenoid B controls hydraulic pressure to the transmission's components when in 2nd. gear. It influences the shift from 1st. to 2nd. It still allows low pressure to act against Solenoid A pressure, while in 1st. gear.

To analyze the true problem adequately requires equipment and technique beyond our "back alley" abilities, so if you care to gamble a bit, and the p0775 is the ONLY code shown, you can replace the solenoid module with a new one. Forget about cheap rebuilds.

You cannot replace only the one solenoid, as they are serviced as a module containing all 8 solenoids. This may be done with the transmission in the vehicle. IMO, replacing the solenoid module will take care of the problem, but no guarantees. imp

Thank you so much !!!! But what's about sleeping ? Did i burned my clutch ? Thank you !

And was i right about my transmission model number? Thank you.

Thank you so much !!!! But what's about sleeping ? Did i burned my clutch ? Thank you !

And was i right about my transmission model number? Thank you.
@alex5357

I do not understand your question. Yes, as far as I can tell, you have the 5R55S transmission.

@alex5357

I do not understand your question. Yes, as far as I can tell, you have the 5R55S transmission.

My question is how big is possibility that's my internal transmission friction plates are bad ?

Thank you.

I about to order filter kit , servos and solenoid pack and see if anything of this will solve my problem.

s-l1600.jpg

Not very familiar with these transmissions or your particular issue, but the 5R55S isn't exactly known for its durability. H
ow your transmission fluid smells is usually a vague indicator of whether or not a clutch pack has burned up. If it smells burnt, your friction plates are burnt to some degree. No way to really tell without looking at them though.

My question is how big is possibility that's my internal transmission friction plates are bad ?

Thank you.

I about to order filter kit , servos and solenoid pack and see if anything of this will solve my problem.

View attachment 175265
@alex5357

The solenoid which is faulty may be easily replaced by removing the oil pan, in the vehicle. If you are concerned about clutches, bands, servos, thrust bearings and such, you will need to remove and disassemble the the transmission.

The suggestion to check the quality of the fluid is a good one. imp

@alex5357

The solenoid which is faulty may be easily replaced by removing the oil pan, in the vehicle. If you are concerned about clutches, bands, servos, thrust bearings and such, you will need to remove and disassemble the the transmission.

The suggestion to check the quality of the fluid is a good one. imp

Hello, so i did changed transmission oil an filter and there was no burning smell, but whatever their call it a metal residue on magnet in oil pan.

After i replaced oil and filter all gears started to work and no more slipping but late shifting in 1st to 2nd gear and wrench light comes on after 30 seconds of driving.

Just ordered solenoid pack and will see what will happen...fingers crossed.

Thank you everyone for help and support... i will keep you updated.

2019-11-04 23.30.48.jpg

2019-11-04 23.30.41.jpg

2019-11-04 23.30.05.jpg

2019-11-04 23.30.01.jpg

With that amount of debris on that magnet I would say you will have to pull that transmission out and have it rebuilt. That is way too much debris.

With that amount of debris on that magnet I would say you will have to pull that transmission out and have it rebuilt. That is way too much debris.

I replaced solenoid block and still have P0775 :angryfire: and harsh shifting :sawzall:

Back