Remote start puts driver seat into cool mode in below 0 temperature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start puts driver seat into cool mode in below 0 temperature

grey169

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Good Morning,
I have a 2016 Sport. I do the remote start and the seats will always be in cool mode. I can turn off the setting by turning the seat setting to "OFF" in the IFT.
From my reading there is a sensor that is used to determine what mode the seat is in depending upon temperature.
Where is that sensor? Is there an easy way to replace/troubleshoot this sensor?
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What setting are you using? AUTO or LAST SETTING? Has it always been this way or is it a recent issue?

Peter

For the seats and steering wheel, I think you have only Auto or Off. I currently have it set to OFF. If it is set to auto then it goes to COLD and all three bars. This leads me to believe that there is a bad sensor.

This happens to me too. Driving me insane. If you find a solution, please let me know. I'll do the same.

Just got a call from the dealer. They had to call Ford Engineering for assistance. Ford recommended a computer reset (Capacitance drop reset). It sounds like they pull the battery cables and put the positive connection to ground for 30 mins to ensure that the computer is fully reset. If that doesn't fix it, they stated that Ford is working on a fix for it.

To me, it sounds like a software glitch and they will need to resolve it with an update and they are just "buying" time with this "reset".

I will post more as I get more information.

This happens to me too. Driving me insane. If you find a solution, please let me know. I'll do the same.
Welcome to the Forum Jennifer.:wave:
I hope this isn't going to turn out to be another 2016 'thing'. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jennifer.:wave:
I hope this isn't going to turn out to be anther 2016 'thing'. Good luck.

Peter
I am scared to ask if there is more to the "2016 thing". Is there more to this? Are there a lot of unique "features" that exist?

Update from Ford Dealership.
They did the Capacitive Discharge with no effect (Go figure turning off and on no effect)
The note on the repair ticket state (I am quoting)

"Do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating"
I didn't get to talk to the service manager as he was out so I will call back later for more details. What I was able to get out of Ford was that they are aware that this is an issue and they are looking into it.

If I get any more information or details I will past as I get them. I hope to not make this thread too long.

For the mean time I have the seat/wheel set to "OFF" so that they do not activate with the remote start.

I am experiencing the same thing with my '16 limited. Any luck with the dealership investigation? It's getting pretty cold these days and I'd love to be able to have my seat and steering wheel heat up on remote start. If nothing has been done by the dealership - Is anyone familiar with the sensor that is used in this process? I'd be willing to investigate replacing it to see if that helps.

I am experiencing the same thing with my '16 limited. Any luck with the dealership investigation? It's getting pretty cold these days and I'd love to be able to have my seat and steering wheel heat up on remote start. If nothing has been done by the dealership - Is anyone familiar with the sensor that is used in this process? I'd be willing to investigate replacing it to see if that helps.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Another update. I spoke to the service department again last week. They stated that an engineering investigation has been opened for me on this case. They said that they are told not to do any other work until Ford gets back to them. I will be checking periodically on this issue to see if Ford is updating this. I did find some solace that after I had this issue the service department stated that they had THREE other explorers came into their shop with the same issue. At least I feel better that with more issues Ford might come up with a fix.

I will post more as I have more information.

Back