Slowly Going Away

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
Not a lot of action in this forum anymore. Everyone is slowly moving on from the 2nd Gen X, and they are going away. I still see plenty on the road every day, but not too many people modifying them. I guess about everything has been done to them that can reasonably (and sometimes unreasonably) be done. Kind of fading away like the support from the J Body forums and parts did for my Raspberry Racer (it was purplish pink) turbo Cavalier back in High School. I'm not ready to move on yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where I live I only see POS 2nd gens...& not many. 1st gens I rarely see on the road. But same can be said for a lot of mid-late 90's vehicles...that cash for clunkers program really hurt the used market for these years.

cant kick me that easy
these old trucks are making a come back

There are loads of great 2nd gens in Arizona. Most folks don't realize that it may be more expensive initially to ship one across the country, but in return you are basically starting with a fresh body that can last many more years in the 4 season states.

There's nothing like looking under a 20 year old AZ rig with no undercoating and seeing nothing, but good paint on the underside.

I modified my wife's :) I'm not done:usa:

20190331_182145.jpg

And here i am waiting to get proper place to start building my offroad project, which certainly will not follow the "already done" lines.

But it makes sense that it's not as popular anymore, these cars are getting old (and cheap too!).

Still building the Navajo, with a SOHC swapped in :hammer:

There are loads of great 2nd gens in Arizona. Most folks don't realize that it may be more expensive initially to ship one across the country, but in return you are basically starting with a fresh body that can last many more years in the 4 season states.

There's nothing like looking under a 20 year old AZ rig with no undercoating and seeing nothing, but good paint on the underside.
I agree. I bought my truck from New Mexico and it was BEAUTIFUL underneath. It makes me sad every time I crawl under it. It’s still cleaner than 99% of the RBVs here in PA, but it still had the factory stickers on it until the first winter.

I am going to have a supercharged, 20 year old X that will keep-up with the new ones!

see them a ton out here,(believe it or not the ones on the west side of the mountains in wa state are rust free) but the 1st gens are getting harder to come by for parts here at the pick n pull. sadly the whole firestone thing killed them and the popularity with rangers and xj /aftermarket killed there popularity, then there are a bunch that get junked for v8 swaps into rangers. the other down fall is the 4.0 sohc that spans both the 2nd/3rd gens with chain issues. i think they are unpopular right now but will eventually gain popularity like the jeep wagoneers/ Early bronco once the become more scarce. with that said i own 3 4 doors, 94 97 and 01. i dailly the 97 5.0 with 233k miles and the problem child is the wifes daily 4.0 sohc with 180k on it, rattles a little at startup. at any rate i love them, have under $2000 for all 3 and reliable transportation , my 94 is my offroader sitting on 35s . right now even if the 4.0 sohc gives out i can have another rust free one for $700.....

see them a ton out here,(believe it or not the ones on the west side of the mountains in wa state are rust free) but the 1st gens are getting harder to come by for parts here at the pick n pull. sadly the whole firestone thing killed them and the popularity with rangers and xj /aftermarket killed there popularity, then there are a bunch that get junked for v8 swaps into rangers. the other down fall is the 4.0 sohc that spans both the 2nd/3rd gens with chain issues. i think they are unpopular right now but will eventually gain popularity like the jeep wagoneers/ Early bronco once the become more scarce. with that said i own 3 4 doors, 94 97 and 01. i dailly the 97 5.0 with 233k miles and the problem child is the wifes daily 4.0 sohc with 180k on it, rattles a little at startup. at any rate i love them, have under $2000 for all 3 and reliable transportation , my 94 is my offroader sitting on 35s . right now even if the 4.0 sohc gives out i can have another rust free one for $700.....
Do you want to fix the startup rattle?

Do you want to fix the startup rattle?
i have her holding the gas pedal down at startup to build oil pressure before starting , was going to replace the tensioners but was reading it caused more damage than good as the plastic guides might be brittle from age, other than than havent read another other fixes.

i have her holding the gas pedal down at startup to build oil pressure before starting , was going to replace the tensioners but was reading it caused more damage than good as the plastic guides might be brittle from age, other than than havent read another other fixes.

I should post a pic of my personal stash in my shop's side lot. These are vehicles in various stages of repair. In it is a cherry 94 Explorer Xlt 4dr with factory manual shift tcase, 01 sport trac 4x4, 02 Ranger 4x4, 97 mountaineer, a few F150s and Lexus es300 (had to tell all the truth). I'd say I'm dedicated.

We're not dead yet and neither is the early RBV platform. There's still a huge crowd that builds first gen Explorers and Rangers for desert racing.

There may not be a lot of posts in the older gen forums because most tech questions have already been answered years ago.

I should post a pic of my personal stash in my shop's side lot. These are vehicles in various stages of repair. In it is a cherry 94 Explorer Xlt 4dr with factory manual shift tcase, 01 sport trac 4x4, 02 Ranger 4x4, 97 mountaineer, a few F150s and Lexus es300 (had to tell all the truth). I'd say I'm dedicated.

Ill be over in just a little bit!!!

I had 19 Gen II Explorers at my last house at one time, that house was on 1.5 acres
I now have 23 acres and a bulldozer...........things could get interesting

Just dropped $6500 on an engine rebuild and suspension upgrades on my 98. It isn't going anywhere and neither is my first gen.

DSC_0172_zpsb4284e1c.jpg

IMG_20190127_113646.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doing a complete suspension overhaul on my 96 v8 this week. Also swaping in 4.10's front and rear. Just put fender flares on and repainted a few things. Shes a NJ truck and my daily that travels the northeast on a weekly basis. 1k Mile road trips happen every month or two. Shes still alive and kicking and hopefully going no where soon. 40k miles on the 306 with torque monsters and x spec sway bars. 185k now and hoping for at least 250 to 300k. Then I have plans of picking one up out west with no rust and doing a possible coyote swap. Then gen 2 is far from dead.

Back