Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 153 87.4%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.6%

• Total voters
Hello everyone,

New member, but lurked for about 6 months. I bought at 16 xlt a few months back. Higher mileage, 80K when I got it, but it was in good shape and dealer serviced. I am the 3rd owner (rental, private and now me). Previous owner purchased as a CPO and the balance of the power train warranty his now mine. I have always been great with maintenance (had to be, since I always owned old, high mileage cars) and was looking forward to bit of a break from the nickle and dimeing my old vehicle was putting me through.

I changed the oil a couple weeks ago and noticed a drop of something not oil on the compressor. I wiped it off and didn't think too much about it. I made note of the fluid levels and moved on. About a week later my wife commented on the smell of something burning at stop lights. I checked the fluids again and noticed the coolant about an inch lower and underneath the car 4-5 drops of fluid on the compressor. Oil still looks clean.

All signs point to water pump failing and leaking our the weep hole. I knew about this failure being an issue when I bought the car, but figured with the redesigned pump I would be okay to about 150K (that would take us 5 years). It's going to the dealer today and hopefully this CPO warranty covers if it is the water pump!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New member as well and am raising my hand too! 2015 Explorer Sport (bought new) that just cracked 65K and "appear" to have the leak coming from the weep hole (actually turned that mileage on the way back from Disneyland to Phoenix over the weekend so thank GOD nothing catastrophic duing that trip.) The only way I noticed was due to parkign on an incline in the driveway and the coolant finally leaked from where it collected which was in/on the lower cover around the oil filter. I wish I would have looked here sooner as the local dealer replaced the front cover due to an oil leak at the rear T-joint at 58K in June...would have had them do the water pump while in there. It goes in Monday at 7AM and will try to plead for assistance due to regular maintenance performed at the dealer AND just barely out of powertrain coverage. Fingers crossed!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Good luck with the attempt to get assistance. Can't hurt to ask.

Peter

Update- The CPO warranty covered the repair with a 100 dollar deducible. I paid an extra $120 to have the spark plugs changed since the milage is 87K. Seemed like a good idea for that price. I was also just starting to think about changing the coolant so I think I just got that done for free!! Am I correct to assume I got a free coolant flush?

The front cover has to be removed to replace the water pump. Coolant has to be drained. At minimum they would replace the coolant with new. Not sure they would flush cooling system. Look at the repair order. It would list what was done and what parts were used including coolant.

You don't get a "flush" when doing the water pump but you will drain out 50-70% of the coolant system which gets replaced with new.

You don't get a "flush" when doing the water pump but you will drain out 50-70% of the coolant system which gets replaced with new.

The work order said "drained the coolant system "....not sure what that means though. Do you think that includes the radiator? I'd be pretty happy with 70% changed, that's pretty good.

Yes I'm sure they drained the radiator. Even then a ton more comes out when you pop off your water pump so the system gets pretty drained.

I’m a new member here with a 2011 Explorer at 212000 miles (I bought it at 50000 miles)

I recently read about the water pump issue and because of the high mileage and my intention to drive this thing until my kids take away the keys (I’m 73 yrs old) I decided to do a preemptive replacement. And while I’m at it, I’m getting a new timing chain and guides, front seal

I saw the old pump yesterday. The impeller still looked good but didn’t turn freely indicating worn bearings and the inner seal was hard and there was some signs that coolant was leaking

so i got to it before it failed completely and I’m planning on another 200000 miles

Is this the first time you've changed it?
Do you know if it's the original factory one?

I’m a new member here with a 2011 Explorer at 212000 miles (I bought it at 50000 miles)
Welcome to the Forum Ron.:wave:
I definitely think you should mention that mileage in a post in the following thread and the links shown in it, High mileage?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ron.:wave:
I definitely think you should mention that mileage in a post in the following thread and the links shown in it, High mileage?

Peter

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just posted in that high mileage thread

Is this the first time you've changed it?
Do you know if it's the original factory one?
I bought the car at 50000 miles I don’t know what happened before that, This is the first time in my 160000 miles. I assume it’s original equipment that I’m replacing

I am pre-emptively doing this job at 92k. Timing chain, tensioners, water pump, etc. Might as well for peace of mind not to worry about it for another 100k.

Just a follow-up to this. My 2016 PIU has 93k miles and 2500 idle hours, which "equates" to about an additional 82k miles by ford's formula (1 idle hour = ~33 miles). It was built late 2015, and had a single gasket pump from the factory surprisingly. The the rubber gasket was starting to fall apart.

Hello,
Can anyone recommend any mechanic in Chicago area that they used ? and also how much i should set aside for this expense.
I have 2010 Mazda CX9 about to hit 85K miles. This waterpump issue scares me.

Hello,
Can anyone recommend any mechanic in Chicago area that they used ? and also how much i should set aside for this expense.
I have 2010 Mazda CX9 about to hit 85K miles. This waterpump issue scares me.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Although the issue may be the same I'm not sure if the costs would be the same. A few members have reported what the costs were and it looks like $1500 seems to be about the average with some higher. The best thing to do is to call a dealer and see if they will give you a 'ballpark' figure. FYI, there are Explorers that have gone anywhere from 100k to over 200k without a water pump issue. You may want to have them check the timing chain if you go ahead with the replacement.
Mazda CX-9 Water Pump Replacement Cost Estimate

Peter

Not sure what you were expecting? I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to do something when I am 42,000 miles outside of my warranty.

Regarding Ford not being concerned about your past or future history, Ford didnt make a dime off your Explorer purchase (you bought it used). I have seen Ford step up outside of warranty but not anywhere near this far beyond.

You also had a choice to buy an ESP which you chose not to.

Sorry that it happened to you. Your dealer is a little high on price, you should ask them if they would use some of their funds to put towards it that Ford gives them. If you aren't a frequent customer of the dealership, they probably wont as they typically use them to take care of their customers who frequent the dealership for service/sales.

To be clear, what was I expecting? I expect if Ford is going to bury a wear item deep in the engine, that they design it to last the reasonable life of the engine.. it’s insane to design it this way and cost a consumer $2600 when the average vehicle water pump replacement is probably closer to $400. The entire front cradle including suspension had to be dropped, the engine torn down, intake, fuel injection, valve covers, accessories, timing chain cover, timing chain, cowl, wipers, strut tower bar....just to replace a $130 wear item. That’s bad engineering, if that engine didn’t fit with a conventional water pump, they should not of used it..

My wife bought the Explorer used before I met her. It had 24k on it and was less than a year old. It’s been serviced by Ford dealers always. If I had been around and known of the design, I would of probably passed on the purchase. It really doesn’t matter if we bought it new or used, Ford made their money up front on the original sale, I just happen to be the unlucky owner at 102,000 miles.

She did buy an extended warranty, but the crappy Toyota dealer took advantage of her and sold her a useless 5/60 powertrain warranty that duplicated the factory warranty and then misrepresented it to her....that will never happen again.....

Being a longtime Ford owner, with 8 late model Fords in my immediate family currently, and a long history of others, I thought Ford might stand up and give us a break..but nope, nothing....

To be clear, what was I expecting? I expect if Ford is going to bury a wear item deep in the engine, that they design it to last the reasonable life of the engine.. it’s insane to design it this way and cost a consumer $2600 when the average vehicle water pump replacement is probably closer to $400. The entire front cradle including suspension had to be dropped, the engine torn down, intake, fuel injection, valve covers, accessories, timing chain cover, timing chain, cowl, wipers, strut tower bar....just to replace a $130 wear item. That’s bad engineering, if that engine didn’t fit with a conventional water pump, they should not of used it..

My wife bought the Explorer used before I met her. It had 24k on it and was less than a year old. It’s been serviced by Ford dealers always. If I had been around and known of the design, I would of probably passed on the purchase. It really doesn’t matter if we bought it new or used, Ford made their money up front on the original sale, I just happen to be the unlucky owner at 102,000 miles.

She did buy an extended warranty, but the crappy Toyota dealer took advantage of her and sold her a useless 5/60 powertrain warranty that duplicated the factory warranty and then misrepresented it to her....that will never happen again.....

Being a longtime Ford owner, with 8 late model Fords in my immediate family currently, and a long history of others, I thought Ford might stand up and give us a break..but nope, nothing....

You do ot have to drop the engine. It can be done while still installed in the vehicle. Many owners have had it done this way including mine. Yes it is a expensive repair, I get it and it was one thing I was always concerned about once my ESP was over. But reality is, you are still way outside the warranty period and Inwould have never thought nor expected Ford to cover that. It is an 11 hour repair plus $60 pump (might as well replace timing chains too).

And it definitely makes a difference if you are the original owner or one who just buys used cars when it comes to the manufacturer.

Does the water pump make a noise when failing? Heard a bearing like noise upon startup this morning. Only made noise when in R or P. Noise went away after a couple minutes. Definitely was coming from passanger side front, where the WP is. Alternator is right there as well.
Was a dreadful noise, but no issue with temp running hot.
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep an eye on your coolant level and oil condition. With yours being a 2011 chances are it's going to leak into the crankcase (oil) before it leaves a puddle on the ground.

Back