JLT Oil Separator - ST | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JLT Oil Separator - ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got mine yesterday, planning to install this weekend, just curious, will additional oil be necessary?

Got mine yesterday, planning to install this weekend, just curious, will additional oil be necessary?

Has nothing to do with the oil or oil lines, so no you will not.

So it seems like lethalperformance.com will ship these to california if you accept the disclaimer that they are not street legal and for race use only. Just ordered one, will see what happens.

Quick easy mod. Crank case line could be a hair longer but it's whatever.

For the scaredy cats, literally grab the OEM line after the intake connection and pull up towards the hood and kink the line to rotate it towards the front of the vehicle to access the tab release safety. Easier just after the vehicle was driven so the line will be softer.

Anyone know if JLT is working on a drivers side can or one is needed?

Received mine today (shipped to CA via FL) and the install was surprisingly easy, except for the part where I dropped one of the screws into the engine bay. Oops! Was able to recover it by crawling underneath and taking off the splash shield (which was considerably more work).

You can check with UPR Products, I had their catch can for my 2014 F150 Ecoboost and will buy their new one for my 2020 ST. uprproducts.com located in Florida

Will def get the UPR catch can. Ran one on my 1100HP mustang, Shelby GT350 and whipple F150. Top notch parts always from UPR

67DD0357-3AAB-43CE-95E4-05A938A01D33.jpeg

Did you get any of the extras like the drain hose or the high flow check valve? Nice unit but pricey.
I got the check valves just because it’s an added security with boost.

they are pricey but the components are first class. And continental hoses aren’t just better quality they look 100 times better in the engine bay.

I got the check valves just because it’s an added security with boost.

they are pricey but the components are first class. And continental hoses aren’t just better quality they look 100 times better in the engine bay.

Just wanted to share this with you as we always want to make sure our fellow enthusiasts have the best information. I'm just sharing this video link
so you can see what the 2020 ST requires for a catch can system and the fact that is always important to protect both the driver and passenger side
of the PCV system with any ecoboost engine.

Thank you, Joe

Welcome to the Forum Joe.

Peter

These catch cans aren't all that useful, it's solving a problem that has been blown out of proportion. On the older supercharger applications, it made sense because of how the PCV system was designed allowing oil to cake up the intercoolers. But the stock EcoBoost V6 valve covers have a built-in oil separator at the PCV valve area and are very effective. When I ran a JLT on my SHO and Fusion Sport (2.7 is basically the same as the 3.0), all it caught was vapor/fumes - almost zero drops of engine oil. This stuff will burn/combust very easily and is piped directly into the intake manifold.
My girlfriend's Malibu 2.0 GTDI (LTG engine, basically same as EcoBoost) ingests like 2-3 qt of oil every 7500 miles and has over 93,000 miles. It holds boost just fine, no issues with intake valve crudding or intercooler problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean, my collector has greater than zero amounts of sludge in it, and I usually put 150-200k miles on my vehicles, so every little bit helps.

There have also been controlled experiments where valves were weighed before and after controlled duty cycles, with and without a can, and the valves came out with measurable deposits from the can-less runs.

Obviously millions of vehicles run around without cans and don't instantly clog up, but talk to any mechanic who works on direct injection engines, and they will tell you that problems do arise eventually.

Back