Mileage to do timing chain, guides, and tensioners? 4.6l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mileage to do timing chain, guides, and tensioners? 4.6l

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
Just rolled over 191k on my 06 v8. At this point I'm just worried about my timing components as I know they tend to start failing around this mileage, as far as I can tell, there's no tick yet on cold start but since I have a manifold leak it's so loud that I'm not even sure id be able to hear the timing tick. So if it's not there yet, how much longer should I have until it appears? I've had this ex since April and have done Mobil 1 high mileage every 5k and have put about 12k on my truck, not sure about previous maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

175-200k is the range they should be changed. I've taken apart some well taken care of 4.6s and they haven't worn to the metal tensioner even at 200k. I've also taken one apart that wore through the timing cover at 64k. That one had probably only had 1 oil change since it was new and only topped off in between, it was scuzzy.

I'd get the exhaust leak straight first and as long as that goes smoothly continue to the timing chains.

175-200k is the range they should be changed. I've taken apart some well taken care of 4.6s and they haven't worn to the metal tensioner even at 200k. I've also taken one apart that wore through the timing cover at 64k. That one had probably only had 1 oil change since it was new and only topped off in between, it was scuzzy.

I'd get the exhaust leak straight first and as long as that goes smoothly continue to the timing chains.
Okay, hopefully it can last until I have the money and time to do it, the whole timing kit is about $500 and to do the exhaust will probably run me another 2-300 so I've just got my fingers crossed right now

How hard is it to do timing chain(s) on a 3v?

I mean...I put together the 5.0 for my Mustang, but those are easy (to me) to crack open and stick back together.

No experience with a 4.6, let alone the 3v, other than water pump, coils, and intake removal. (that **** was super easy though. more work to do that same stuff on a 5.0) LOL

I did the timing on my 06 and it took about 6 - 7 hrs. Not complicated but time consuming. You need to mark what bolt goes to what hole in the timing cover, there are 3 or 4 types of them: studs, bolts, ...
Remember to have a gasket maker ready for where the valve covers meet the timing cover and the oil pan.
I used motorcraft parts and with the phasers it came out to around 700 buying online. Don't buy aftermarket parts for this job.
Everything is marked so you can not mistime it.
I had some pictures in one of my posts but photobucket took it down from what i see.

Mine isn't making any noise save for the typical exhaust leak, but still...it's at 180K and I don't know if it's been done yet. From what I've found so far, it's been decently maintained though, so who know.

I'll probably get the set at tax time and dig into it, along with hubs and bearings. Rather want to do the upgraded brakes too. We'll see how THAT plays out lol.

Thanks for the words. When it comes to tools...i have more than the average shadetree guy lol.

Relax. You've been on line too much. Most never fail. I had one with 260,000 miles. The timing chain was fine, along with the guides and phasers. You'll know when it's failing. Find a hobby.

Relax. You've been on line too much. Most never fail. I had one with 260,000 miles. The timing chain was fine, along with the guides and phasers. You'll know when it's failing. Find a hobby.
I can't tell you how many times I've figured that I had the cam phaser / guides / tensioner issue. It was always something else. As Trainmaster says - I've been on line too much and read too much.
I'm slowly developing a more relaxed attitude when the slightest noise pops up.

Smartass, the point is to not have failure...lots of info out there that indicates around 180K with good maintenance is about the time when replacement is needed.

Good on you to have one go 250K+ without incident. I've got a 5.0 F150 with 400K on it...all that's been done was a timing set, oil pump, and an IAC...

Smartass, the point is to not have failure...lots of info out there that indicates around 180K with good maintenance is about the time when replacement is needed.

...“A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once."

If it isn't broke, put your time to better use. Timing chain replacement isn't preventative maintenance. Most motors never need the work for the life of the car. As I said, find a hobby.

I agree with Trainmaster. I maintain a fleet of cop cars, still have about 65 Crown Vics in regular patrol, some pushing 300K miles. I can promise you these 4.6 engines have seen more abuse than any civilian version ever dreamed of and only 1 has been apart for timing components (and that's because the driver ran a stop sign post thru the radiator and on into the timing cover).
About 16 years ago I was visited by the Ford boys from Dearborn, they wanted to look at the undersides of our CV's for rust (we don't have that problem where we are located), but we got into the timing component conversation and I was told they had tested these engines to 750K miles using 5w-20 semi synthetic oil, changed at 6K miles and had no failures and no appreciable wear. They emphasized the viscosity was the key to longevity.

If it ain't broke, don't mess with it. You take a chance of causing a whole lot of other problems.

...“A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once."

If it isn't broke, put your time to better use. Timing chain replacement isn't preventative maintenance. Most motors never need the work for the life of the car. As I said, find a hobby.

On the flip side, the reason many, many 4.0L Explorers/Mountaineers reach the end of their lives is from timing chain failure due to repair costs exceeding the vehicle's value. A pre-oiler is one measure worth considering to extend the lifespan of a 4.0L engine.

I agree with Trainmaster. I maintain a fleet of cop cars, still have about 65 Crown Vics in regular patrol, some pushing 300K miles. I can promise you these 4.6 engines have seen more abuse than any civilian version ever dreamed of and only 1 has been apart for timing components (and that's because the driver ran a stop sign post thru the radiator and on into the timing cover).
About 16 years ago I was visited by the Ford boys from Dearborn, they wanted to look at the undersides of our CV's for rust (we don't have that problem where we are located), but we got into the timing component conversation and I was told they had tested these engines to 750K miles using 5w-20 semi synthetic oil, changed at 6K miles and had no failures and no appreciable wear. They emphasized the viscosity was the key to longevity.

Yes this applies to the 2v engine. You won't see a 3v hit 300k without a set of cams and followers.

Back