Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
100% the same experience as this. Shifts are smooth in every drive mode except Sport, and I was one of the early ST buyers (taking possession in late July). In Sport, the downshifts can sometimes be incredibly jerky, almost like the vehicle is lunging a bit.

i get this lunging feeling when manually downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but every other shift, up and down, is very smooth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was only the early builds. Ford has gotten it's act together.

Don't bet on it. I found out from my dealer this morning why my Aviator which was built 2019-12-04 was sitting around with an "etaEndDate" of 2019-12-29 since it's build date, had changed this morning to the old 1990-01-01 and still no ship date. So I called them and asked them to check up since something had changed.

They called me back to say that my Aviator "had just got back from Quality Control and did not have a ship date yet". That means it went to Flat Rock. So don't continue to believe that it's only the early models or that "Ford has gotten it's act together.".

No issues here, everything is great. The only time I am not happy is in Sport mode. It is very sensitive and jerky on the downshifts. But during normal modes and normal driving, it has been flawless.
Noticed the same on 2019 Expedition I took for a testdrive. Tranny is not refined for Sport mode, there are at least two considerable lags when I was doing 0-60, it should be quick with 450hp, but I only managed about 8sec

Noticed the same on 2019 Expedition I took for a testdrive. Tranny is not refined for Sport mode, there are at least two considerable lags when I was doing 0-60, it should be quick with 450hp, but I only managed about 8sec

The Expedition doesnt have 450HP, only the Navigator has that tune. And even with the max 400HP the Expedition has, it needs 93 Octane to achieve it's full power which the dealers/Ford certainly dont put in the tank.

I am so dissapointed in this truck. When I drive it you would swear I was a 16 year old trying to learn how to drive a stick shift for the first time. It is choppy in the low gears and with the 4cyl in this limited it sounds like I am driving a cheap Hyundai. Now the truck is at Ford because for days the 4wd powertrain fault warning messages and several have been constantly popping up. And of course they just called and can't replicate the warnings.

Sounds like your dealer needs to resolve this, I have the same transmission in my Platinum, no issues so far, it's coupled to the 3.0 twin turbo V6 though.
Good luck, hope they get it resolved.
TBill

I took my ST in for service yesterday and they told me Ford had new firmware they uploaded into the vehicle for the APIM, BCM, and the Transmission controller. The vehicle seems to be much smoother shifting on the downshifts now. This may be their response to the issue. It was just released yesterday. The APIM updates address the Deep Sleep issues.

I took my ST in for service yesterday and they told me Ford had new firmware they uploaded into the vehicle for the APIM, BCM, and the Transmission controller. The vehicle seems to be much smoother shifting on the downshifts now. This may be their response to the issue. It was just released yesterday. The APIM updates address the Deep Sleep issues.

Nice. You and I go to the same dealership. Who is your service writer?

I just pulled into my driveway after a long road trip and smelled transmission fluid. Looked under, and fluid dripping from the cross member. So another repair visit to Mullinax. I have been very supportive of these vehicles so far, but I am having my doubts about my own vehicle at this moment.

Nice. You and I go to the same dealership. Who is your service writer?

I just pulled into my driveway after a long road trip and smelled transmission fluid. Looked under, and fluid dripping from the cross member. So another repair visit to Mullinax. I have been very supportive of these vehicles so far, but I am having my doubts about my own vehicle at this moment.

Steve Roberts is my service writer. They had trouble loading the APIM so waiting on Ford Hotline to help them figure out why. I mentioned to Steve when I took it in that some owners were seeing issues with leakage of the transmission cooler or lines. Mine doesn't show any issues there yet.

Steve Roberts is my service writer. They had trouble loading the APIM so waiting on Ford Hotline to help them figure out why. I mentioned to Steve when I took it in that some owners were seeing issues with leakage of the transmission cooler or lines. Mine doesn't show any issues there yet.

Glad you have heard of other leaking issues. If it's just a line, it could be a relatively easy fix. My trans is pretty clunky. I hope the software update pertains to the Limited as well.

Just got a call from my dealer. They found out the transmission cooler on mine is leaking (not a lot) onto an electrical connector which they think may be causing the warnings. Ordering a new cooler and lines. Very interesting about the software upgrade will definitely ask.

Just got a call from my dealer. They found out the transmission cooler on mine is leaking (not a lot) onto an electrical connector which they think may be causing the warnings. Ordering a new cooler and lines. Very interesting about the software upgrade will definitely ask.

Interesting. Mine is being towed in to the dealer for leaking. Talked to the service writer and he said he has seen other 2020's with leaking coolers/lines already.

My dealership confirmed it is the trans cooler leaking on my Explorer. He has changed 3-4 already previous to mine. I am in my second loaner since I bought the vehicle. I can confidently say both loaners shift much smoother compared to mine. So those saying that it's all in someone's mind or whatnot have not been exposed to a clunky transmission. Because mine basically clunks as it downshifts on approach to stoplights and stop signs.

Interestingly enough, I have looked underneath my loaner 2020 (which has 1880 miles on it) and it has a red drop of transmission fluid on the shift linkage. I guarantee this one is leaking as well. This is being discussed in multiple places on Facebook groups as well. I would not doubt if there is a serious design issue with these coolers.

You can look for yourself by poking your head under the driver's side of the vehicle near the transmission. If it is leaking, you will see red trans fluid dripping from the linkage and possibly from the transmission cross member/mount.

@buzzard302 I don't see any evidence of a leak on mine (on the vehicle or on the ground), but any chance of a quick photo? Would like to see exactly where a leak would be visible.

Sure thing. Here is a photo of the loaner in my driveway. Notice the transmission fluid drop on the white linkage lever toward the right side of the photo. I see the rear of the trans pan getting some fluid on it as well. Mine was worse.

IMG_20200101_150942.jpg

Sure thing. Here is a photo of the loaner in my driveway. Notice the transmission fluid drop on the white linkage lever toward the right side of the photo. I see the rear of the trans pan getting some fluid on it as well. Mine was worse.

View attachment 176880
Is that a side view ? and from what side should look from ?

Is that a side view ? and from what side should look from ?

That is the view from under the vehicle on the driver's side. Pretty much under the driver's door area. Look under there and you'll see the transmission and cooler as seen in my photo.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've driven my Platinum about 1,000 now and the transmission hasn't improved at all. When the vehicle is warming up, first several miles, the transmission stalls when shifting from first to second, or at least it feels that way. Third is a little better. From fourth up it's fine. It's almost like the engine quits between gears thou that's not possible. It's just one more thing to frustrate me and make me sorry I invested all that money in a car that doesn't deserve to be on the streets. For the record the guy that sold the car to me doesn't disagree or argue that the problem doesn't exist. If there's another thread with the same issue move me. I couldn't find one using the search.
I have had 2 issues with my 2020 ST, I now have 2500 miles, 1st it jolted once putting in reverse in the garage, I should have been taken in by now. It has also gotten stuck in 2nd gear a couple times - I have to manually gear up . I will be taking it in next week

Back