Multiple suspension noises | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Keep in mind that neither Ford or the dealer is under no obligation to provide a loaner/rental as stated in your Warranty Guide. Having said that, it seems that more dealers are providing them. Doing so, would be at their expense. Good luck Bill.

Peter

True. Loaners are always at dealer discretion. My dealership keeps a small circulating inventory of loaner vehicles on the lot. They are new inventory, and they loan them until the vehicles accumulate about 2000-3000 miles. Then they still sell them as "new" with a few thousand dollar discount compared to the vehicles with no miles. It's a nice program and seems to keep customers happy. I don't know how they determine who to lend the cars out to, but I have a decent relationship with my salesman and the service writer I work with is great.

When I was a service writer long ago, we had no loaner cars. It was so fun dealing with upset customers who felt they deserved a loaner, despite none being available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE ON SUSPENSION NOISE......I have 2600 miles on the vehicle, 2000 of those miles have been on I-75 to & from the Tampa area to north of Atlanta. No noise on the open road, as soon as I get on city roads the noise is there, at about 20-35 MPH. Back to open road driving............the car wanders on the road, ( no windy conditions ) very annoying. No shaking or vibrations, just wanders, all road surfaces. ( tires ? ) The other thing is MPG. I have not gotten to 20 MPG at all. Best has been 19.9 using regular gas. I would think with a 10 speed tranny I would get better. Maybe not ! Will also have them look at memory for my driving position, will not keep settings in memory. Have to readjust every time I restart vehicle. As soon as I can get a appointment the car goes in, they can keep it until issues are fixed. I will request a ST as the loaner ! Over all not really happy with the ST BUT I will give them the benefit of doubt and give them a chance to fix the issues.

What happens when you push the 1, 2 or 3 that you programmed your seat to?

Keep in mind that neither Ford or the dealer is under no obligation to provide a loaner/rental as stated in your Warranty Guide. Having said that, it seems that more dealers are providing them. Doing so, would be at their expense. Good luck Bill.

Peter

Yes, I realize that but I do not know of any dealer of any make not providing loaners. I will let you know.

Yes, I realize that but I do not know of any dealer of any make not providing loaners. I will let you know.
Bill, there are many posts in the 5th gen Forum where dealers have not provided them.

Peter

Ford dealer is now going to replace my left front strut and top plate. Been in the shop since 12/23/2019. Clock is ticking on lemon law. Dealer notified of my desire to initiate a buyback. lawyer on standby if needed. Real shame Ford has no notices or help for the dealers still. Flying blind at the dealership. I hope someone finds the issue soon or bye bye Explorer.

Ford dealer is now going to replace my left front strut and top plate. Been in the shop since 12/23/2019. Clock is ticking on lemon law. Dealer notified of my desire to initiate a buyback. lawyer on standby if needed. Real shame Ford has no notices or help for the dealers still. Flying blind at the dealership. I hope someone finds the issue soon or bye bye Explorer.
I would refrain mentioning a lawyer to Ford. That was advice I got from the dealer working on our Explorer. Apparently it causes them to move the case to legal, lengthening the process significantly. Hopefully you don’t need to go to that extent! I found Ford to be very reasonable to work with through our repurchase and didn’t even consider an attorney.

I did not mention anything about attorney to the dealer. They have been great so far.

How did you initiate your buy back with Ford ?
I would refrain mentioning a lawyer to Ford. That was advice I got from the dealer working on our Explorer. Apparently it causes them to move the case to legal, lengthening the process significantly. Hopefully you don’t need to go to that extent! I found Ford to be very reasonable to work with through our repurchase and didn’t even consider an attorney.

How did you initiate your buy back with Ford ?
After being patient through a number of fixes, our vehicle met the time limit for lemon law. At that point I explained to my Ford customer service rep that I wanted to explore a repurchase. The customer service rep was able to handle the repurchase request on his own, and had it approved in about a week or so. If you haven’t contacted Ford directly to express your concerns, I would suggest doing so in order to have a case opened up.

Well, left front strut to be installed tomorrow. They are "confident" that will resolve the noise issue. Should be ready for pickup in the afternoon. We will see. Tick, Tock.

Well, left front strut to be installed tomorrow. They are "confident" that will resolve the noise issue. Should be ready for pickup in the afternoon. We will see. Tick, Tock.

I noticed a noise today that sounds like yours, interested to see if this fixes it, let us know!

I'm beginning to think they all have this issue but people do not hear it. Driving last night it is all I could hear over the damn frost heaves in my area. I asked my wife who was in the passenger seat (never told her about this issue) if she heard it... radio off, HVAC off, just listen.. and she says (it's the tires hitting the bumps.

Told her no, you shouldn't hear thuds over and over when hitting bumps. So 8,300 miles, she does not hear it, I do. I never noticed it sooner because the radio is loud enough to overcome it.

After reading about this for so many months on the forum, I think the previous person was on to something that keyed in on the difference between AWD and 2WD versions. My 2WD does not have this issue, and I have not noticed anyone else with 2WD having this issue. So it's possibly not in the suspension at all, but maybe the difference in drivelines. Any chance this is some sort of subtle engagement/disengagement of AWD based on varying road surfaces?

I'm beginning to think they all have this issue but people do not hear it. Driving last night it is all I could hear over the damn frost heaves in my area. I asked my wife who was in the passenger seat (never told her about this issue) if she heard it... radio off, HVAC off, just listen.. and she says (it's the tires hitting the bumps.

Told her no, you shouldn't hear thuds over and over when hitting bumps. So 8,300 miles, she does not hear it, I do. I never noticed it sooner because the radio is loud enough to overcome it.

I believe it’s likely in all of them based on the numerous reports, and my experience of owning one and driving a few others. It comes down to whether or not you hear it or not, and once you do, it’s so annoying!

That was me....have driven a few 2020 explorer's and Aviator 2WD and no noises ever. Got in another AWD recently....yep, there it was rattling away. As mentioned, if there have been so many suspension replacements without success, may just boil down to splines rattling on the front drive shafts....good suggestion by Buzzard. We got rid of the rattling AWD explorer for a very quiet 2020 Aviator Reserve 1. Problem solved in this household at least. ")

That was me....have driven a few 2020 explorer's and Aviator 2WD and no noises ever. Got in another AWD recently....yep, there it was rattling away. As mentioned, if there have been so many suspension replacements without success, may just boil down to splines rattling on the front drive shafts....good suggestion by Buzzard. We got rid of the rattling AWD explorer for a very quiet 2020 Aviator Reserve 1. Problem solved in this household at least. ")

If I could get out of my 2020 lease I would get the Aviator Reserve also.

The strut was replaced yesterday and they were going to drive it and see if the noise is gone. Still have not heard back. I'm guessing it didn't fix the issue. I'm now looking at left over 2019 Expeditions as a possible replacement. Tick Tock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it’s likely in all of them based on the numerous reports, and my experience of owning one and driving a few others.

No way. There are only a handful of people having the problem in this thread. I have tried numerous times to hear the noises described in this thread and simply do not hear it.

Back