Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Reaction score
City, State
PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
I noticed the rear bumper a bit loose in the middle and realized this air deflector was not installed. It seems to add rigidity to the bumper installation as well!
Air Deflector.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps they still don't have the part available! In the photo bellow you'll see the holes where the deflector is supposed to be fastened to the bumper. Thanks to Exit32 for the hi def photo.

Air Deflector 2.png

Perhaps they still don't have the part available! In the photo bellow you'll see the holes where the deflector is supposed to be fastened to the bumper. Thanks to Exit32 for the hi def photo.

View attachment 177131

Thanks for catching this. I'll be bringing this to the attention of my dealer so they can order the part(s) since they're apparently on back order.

This is what the air deflector looks like, when I bought my vehicle I noticed all the limited on the lot had the air deflector and the ST models did not have the air deflector. I mentioned it to the service manager and he was unaware that the ST models came from the factory with the part missing
20200108_155125.jpg

Thanks for the picture RickyG! I wanted to see how the part looks like! I'll take intermediately to the dealer!

Unbelievable!!! Just looked at mine and mine is missing as well.

I wonder how many other parts we are missing because they wanted to push these vehicles out but didn't have the parts or just neglected to do!

I wonder how many other parts we are missing because they wanted to push these vehicles out but didn't have the parts or just neglected to do!
Like we don't have enough rattles to now start looking at parts diagrams to find what else is missing! :(

Like we don't have enough rattles to now start looking at parts diagrams to find what else is missing! :(

These air deflectors under the car are designed to make it more aerodynamic and absorb the road noise to keep the inside as quiet as possible.

Hmm, reading all this, I think I should forget about buying my ST off the lot and order one instead. Still doesn't mean it wall be perfect but still....

Hmm, reading all this, I think I should forget about buying my ST off the lot and order one instead. Still doesn't mean it wall be perfect but still....
If I understand correctly in what I've been reading, you have been looking at getting an Explorer since 2010. What's a few more months on an order?:dunno:

Peter

If I understand correctly in what I've been reading, you have been looking at getting an Explorer since 2010. What's a few more months on an order?:dunno:

Peter

LOL!

Yeah, actually, the lease on our MKZ expires mid April so I could still place an order.

BTW, does anybody know how long it currently takes? Is it the usual two months or longer?

Just stopped by a local dealer and looked at 5 Explorers.

XLT

20200110_085828.jpg

LIMITED

20200110_085837.jpg

PLATINUM

20200110_085955.jpg

ST

20200110_085949.jpg

And the 5th one was a ST as well without it.

Looks like based on these 5 that the 3.0s dont get it and the 2.3s do. Not saying this is correct but that's the case with the 5 on this lot.

Just stopped by a local dealer and looked at 5 Explorers.

XLT

View attachment 177203

LIMITED

View attachment 177204

PLATINUN

View attachment 177205

ST

View attachment 177206

And the 5th one was a ST as well without it.

Looks like based on these 5 that the 3.0s dont get it and the 2.3s do. Not saying this is correct but that's the case with the 5 on this lot.

It is a good theory! but why would the parts diagram calls for it on the ST?
How could the V6's be aerodynamically different?

Towing package perhaps?

It is a good theory! but why would the parts diagram calls for it on the ST?
How could the V6's be aerodynamically different?

Towing package perhaps?

If you look at the Limited (2nd pic), it has the tow package (you can see the hitch on the top right corner) so that theory is blown lol.

I wonder if the air deflector somehow interferes with the hands-free opening function of the lift gate? Is a sensor located between the mufflers?

My XLT has it. Build date. 6/13.

IMG_20200110_174100069.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if the air deflector somehow interferes with the hands-free opening function of the lift gate? Is a sensor located between the mufflers?

The limited comes with the kick activated liftgate and has the cover.

Back