Sloshing sound with full tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloshing sound with full tank

Hagenmi1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT loaded
Anyone else notice the sloshing gas noise with a full tank? I have a loaded XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yours is the first such report. Are you sure the noise is from the fuel tank?

Peter

Thanks! Yes, I have never had a car that I ever heard this and this is my 3rd Explorer since 2013. I do notice the AWD does make funky noises when stopping or reversing. I have had a few different people confirm they hear it. Sounds goes away under half tank.

Is this noise heard from inside the vehicle when driving?

Yes 100% when stopping or reversing then shifting to D.

Yes 100% when stopping or reversing then shifting to D.
That makes me wonder if it is the tank. I've never heard fuel "sloshing" from a gas tank when sitting in the cabin in any vehicle I've ever had. This should be even rarer these days given all the soundproofing they do to them.

Peter

That’s what I thought as well. I’ll have to get it looked it. I’ll say the AWD on the 2020 makes funky noises but it goes away at half tank.

My wife has mentioned the sloshing to me. She said she swears she feels it with her feet when her left foot is flat on the floor. She also hears it but Ive never been able to hear it or feel it so have no clue.

She keeps saying, it sounds like liquid is moving under her.. not sure if this is the same type of thing you are experiencing.

I would say that is a fair comparison. I do believe the AWD is also doing something that feel odd at times. Again what gets me is this disappears under a half tank of gas.

This is one of the first noises I noticed after driving the car the first couple days. It sloshes at low speeds and braking with a full tank.

wonder if one of the baffles in the tank came loose

This is one of the first noises I noticed after driving the car the first couple days. It sloshes at low speeds and braking with a full tank.
I would guess that is definitely not normal.

Peter

It is a subtle noise. I'm pretty sensitive to random noises, and only notice it when the radio is off. My passenger couldn't hear it. Off course like someone else said it could be something unrelated to the fuel tank, but that is the first thing I thought of when I first heard it.

I hear/feel it as well on my Aviator. The first time it happened, I though I ran something over while going in reverse. The sound would continue every 3 seconds or so and stop after the 3rd time. Strange thing is that I only hear/feel it while going in reverse. I never hear/feel it while driving normally.

I paid particular attention today while backing down my 70' driveway. Had the radio OFF and even had to back over a bit of a snowbank at the end. I didn't hear anything at all like that which is described here. Very quiet,

Peter

had an issue like this once, found one of the doors was collecting water as the drain holes were plugged......

Following this thread. Just realized the noise from stop and go like 0-5mph. First I thought it was something wrong with the front driver brakes or something.

had an issue like this once, found one of the doors was collecting water as the drain holes were plugged......

Same here on a previous car. All they did was remove the drain hole near the door. Maybe ill check for that.

Where are the drain holes located on the door?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back