Brake Module Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Module Failure

D

Deleted member 298840

I didn't get it off the lot before....... a brake module problem. Got a 2020 Limited and the brake module started throwing codes before I could get out the door. Brakes became very mushy and almost non-functional. Dealer has to order a replacement module(?). Anyone have a similar brake issue? What was the result/fix? Grumbling....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The craze for the self-driving car has resulted in excess electrons eating at the innards of my new Explorer and I'm growing weary of the problems. The problems mount daily among owners, each with a different theme. The brake module produces a mushy peddle, or hard, resulting in a loss of driver confidence. The steering wheel sometimes produces phony feedback when the car is not in the lane keeping mode. The lift gate opens when it's not supposed to. Sometimes the car sits alone in the garage clicking all by its lonesome self.
In a different time most of these were mechanical issues and fixable by a mechanic. A trip to the shop today more often than not produces the standard response. We've checked everything and can't find anything wrong...

I did discover this week at the car wash that the floor mats are not electronic...yet. Grumbling....It's a love-hate relationship.

Welcome to the Forum Scott.:wave:
I guess if that module was going to fail, you sure were at the right place.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Scott.:wave:
I guess if that module was going to fail, you sure were at the right place.

Peter
Amen, Peter. Thanks for the welcome. I was a patron of the forum before in 2011, but moved to an Edge for a few years. Back in the Explorer fold. My 2020 is an early June 2019 build, so Lord knows what else may come up!

It is a simple part, ask them to take it off one on the lot to get you on the road.
@blwnsmoke

Not so simple, in reality, when one looks at all it's guts (assuming we're talking ABS Module). MUST HAVE VIN downloaded into it to extinguish ABS light. Functions with wrong VIN, however, light on constantly, which overshadows sight of added faults. imp

@blwnsmoke

Not so simple, in reality, when one looks at all it's guts (assuming we're talking ABS Module). MUST HAVE VIN downloaded into it to extinguish ABS light. Functions with wrong VIN, however, light on constantly, which overshadows sight of added faults. imp

Understood. But most parts now that are computers require a vehicle programming for everything to sync. They can easily replace the module and program it. This is no different then Ford shipping them a part, installing it and reprogramming it just the same.

Ford very recently released a TSB (SSM?) advising dealers against VIN-specific part swapping for that very reason. Appears it is adding to the Explorer havoc.

I didn't get it off the lot before....... a brake module problem. Got a 2020 Limited and the brake module started throwing codes before I could get out the door. Brakes became very mushy and almost non-functional. Dealer has to order a replacement module(?). Anyone have a similar brake issue? What was the result/fix? Grumbling....
A bit late but my dealer finally found an SSM 49011, Reprogrammed ABS Module. Guess it's been a common safety issue but no recall. My service tech didn't know but evidently, the guys in the shop did. Bad battery last week.

A bit late but my dealer finally found an SSM 49011, Reprogrammed ABS Module. Guess it's been a common safety issue but no recall. My service tech didn't know but evidently, the guys in the shop did. Bad battery last week.

Post 18 from August.

Ok, guess my dealer isn't reading the right forum:p
Maybe you'd like to share the source of these TSB, FSA and SSM missives?
I had complained about this since last November and now that I have documentation I'm going to pay a visit to my dealer...
The tech reported everything normal. Guess he didn't bother to check the SSMs

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.59.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.59.08 AM.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 71

The info in that thread is gathered from actual sites that contain such information and from fellow members that have discovered them or have had the corrective actions performed. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to find the most recent ones.

Peter

Back