Explorer brake controller? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer brake controller?

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

I don't see anything in the Manual stating that the Aviator comes with an installed brake controller. In checking this out I found out that the towing capacities for the Aviator and Explorer are different. The Explorer 3.0 with factory installed tow package tops out at 5600 lbs while the Aviator with the 3.0 is 6700 lbs. I'm now curious as to why the 1100 lb difference?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see anything in the Manual stating that the Aviator comes with an installed brake controller. In checking this out I found out that the towing capacities for the Aviator and Explorer are different. The Explorer 3.0 with factory installed tow package tops out at 5600 lbs while the Aviator with the 3.0 is 6700 lbs. I'm now curious as to why the 1100 lb difference?

Peter

It's the hitch. The Explorer only comes with a Class III hitch while the Aviator comes with a Class IV hitch. I believe the bigger hitch is available on the Explorer for an extra charge not included in the trailer towing package.

It's the hitch. The Explorer only comes with a Class III hitch while the Aviator comes with a Class IV hitch. I believe the bigger hitch is available on the Explorer for an extra charge not included in the trailer towing package.

Which won't increase the tow rating (if it is available).

Thank you!!! I've looked a few times but did not think to look behind the airbag in that area. I only looked around where it was on my 2016 Platinum. This is really great, I'll try to get it installed before the new year and will report back with my finding and other pics if possible.

The brake controller connector is below the steering column behind and above the air bag. My chin is only for reference in the attached photo! I installed the
Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. The control unit is hidden away and the control knob is easy to mount.

The brake controller connector is below the steering column behind and above the air bag. My chin is only for reference in the attached photo! I installed the
Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. The control unit is hidden away and the control knob is easy to mount.
Okay where might one look for the current version of the Redarc Tow Pro?

There is a new version released last January, but I cannot find one anywhere in the USA, the folks who stock Redarc all have the V2 and I'd like the new V3

Part # EBRH-ACCV3

The only place I've seen it is on the Redarc Australian website. If you click on the link there for the USA website, it's not on there.

Can you buy the controllers direct from the manufacturer in Australia?

i would think that the hitch they choose to install on the vehicle would reflect it's tow rating, not be the limiting factor. in other words, they are not going to waste extra towing capacity by installing an inferior hitch, nor are they going to risk giving owners a false sense of security by installing a hitch that is rated for more than the vehicle can actually handle.

in the case of the explorer vs aviator, given the same engines, same wheelbase, and same curb weight, the logical place to look for an explanation of their different towing capacities would be the suspension, and sure enough, the aviator has automatic load leveling suspension, while the explorer does not.

i would think that the hitch they choose to install on the vehicle would reflect it's tow rating, not be the limiting factor. in other words, they are not going to waste extra towing capacity by installing an inferior hitch, nor are they going to risk giving owners a false sense of security by installing a hitch that is rated for more than the vehicle can actually handle.

in the case of the explorer vs aviator, given the same engines, same wheelbase, and same curb weight, the logical place to look for an explanation of their different towing capacities would be the suspension, and sure enough, the aviator has automatic load leveling suspension, while the explorer does not.
The Explorer has a Class III towing package while the the Aviator comes with a Class IV towing package. Some Aviators, depending upon the option package chosen, have the air suspension system which automatically adjusts to maintain a constant frame height which allows for ease of vehicle loading, provides improved vehicle ride and increased driver comfort. Even without this option, the Aviator is still rated for towing 6700 lbs.

Peter

The Aviator has different suspension than the Explorer not even considering air suspension. One of TFLs video shows an interview with a Lincoln rep explaining the difference.

Also tow rating take into account braking and cooling. According to car and driver, they show the Aviator as having same size of rotors as the upgraded st pack brakes. All of these things could lead to higher rating over the Explorer.

I have a Tekonsha P3 that I had installed in our 2016 Sport and had hoped the dealer would move it over for us ("yeah, no problem!" at sale...). This didn't happen today because apparently nobody at the dealer was competent enough to tell us even if there was a built-in controller (one guy insisted it was, lol).

So clearly I have to do this myself and if it goes as planned I'll let y'all know.

Which of their harnesses did you use to plug into the factory Ford plug? They have 2 different ones listed for Ford/Lincoln. TPH-005 and TPH-007.

And where exactly did you mount the box? Can't tell what that piece its attached to is.

Thanks.

I talked to Redarc and it would appear than the 007 harness is the one you need as the 005 seems to fit larger vehicles. HOWEVER, they were not inclined to guarantee that it will fit since they only have data through the 2015 model year.

I have a Tekonsha P3 that I had installed in our 2016 Sport and had hoped the dealer would move it over for us ("yeah, no problem!" at sale...). This didn't happen today because apparently nobody at the dealer was competent enough to tell us even if there was a built-in controller (one guy insisted it was, lol).

So clearly I have to do this myself and if it goes as planned I'll let y'all know.

My salesman also told me that my new Aviator would have a factory trailer brake. When I asked these guys on the forum, several made fun of me and pointed me at the order form.....

My salesman also told me that my new Aviator would have a factory trailer brake. When I asked these guys on the forum, several made fun of me and pointed me at the order form.....

Nobody made fun of you. I simply researched the order guide when you posed the question and posted a picture of it so you could see that it isnt included in writing. If taking time to research someone's question and post the answer is making fun of them, then I apologize for that.

The salesman that told you this was simply wrong and they should be looking at the order guide as that is the only thing to go off of when building or researching a vehicle. I would agree that many consumers have no clue about the order guide but the dealerships/salesmen do. They should know about the product they sell and it is really sad they they do not take more ownership of learning.

They should know about the product they sell and it is really sad they they do not take more ownership of learning.

Sadly this is more and more the state of affairs. Truly knowledgeable dealer reps are just rare in my experience.

This the connector for the brake controller on a 2020 Explorer ST. I just finished my install and it works!.

View attachment 176398

Pictures of where you mounted the controller in a 2020 Explorer would be helpful. I haven't bought the Explorer yet - trying to figure this out before doing so. Thanks,

I'd also like to know where you mounted it. I found the connect up under the dash panel and confirmed that the pigtail for 2016 works with 2020 on my Tekonsha P3. But I am not sure where to put it. The best place is the little flat section below the OBD port because it is out of the way but that piece of plastic is flimsy on the back side even though it's screwed in fairly securely on the front side (facing the seat).

I thought about mounting it to the fuse box cover but not sure the clips will hold the extra weight.

Another option is to just leave the cable behind the fuse cover and when using the trailer, just let it sit in the open fusebox access hole. It kinds rests there out of the way. We use the trailer only a few times a year so this isn't a horrible idea.

To the right of the fuse cover is also an option but I haven't yet looked to see what's behind there that I might drill into -- also that kinda puts the controller where our knees go when we get in and out of the vehicle.

I'm still flabbergasted why they don't just build these things into vehicles that have TOW PACKAGES.

Another potential gotcha: the connector is just to the right of the steering wheel and up under the panel. It faces to the right, meaning the pigtail will stick out to the right (toward the center console) once connected. There is a blank plug in there that you need to remove so that the pigtail will plug in. Don't recall this being the case on our 16.

OK here's what I did. The little flimsy section below the OBD port is mostly good enough but I didn't drill it yet. Used some high strength velcro (credit to my wife on this one!) and fed the cable over the top of another harness behind it so that it doesn't hang back by the brake pedal.

2020.jpeg

So are the brake controllers just plug and play on the 2020 Explorer's with the towing package?

So are the break controllers just plug and play on the 2020 Explorer's with the towing package?

Not sure what you mean by plug-and-play? Our 2016 and 2020 both have towing packages and the controller was indeed just a plug-in-and-mount affair. You can control the boost etc using the controller but nothing else required. Already wired out to the receiver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back