Multiple suspension noises | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Strut replacement did nothing to fix the noise issue. I have opened a case with Ford for a buyback. Clock is ticking....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am surprised Ford has not flown an engineer out to any of the dealerships where buybacks are happening.

My dealer I'm going to order my Platinum from hasn't heard anything about the front end noise. Salesman and service manager. Never had an explorer in with any noise problems. Don't know if the problem is in so few vehicles it doesn't hit all dealers with that problem.

My dealer only knows what I have told him from reports on this forum. Very bad business practice to not inform dealers of this.

I am surprised Ford has not flown an engineer out to any of the dealerships where buybacks are happening.

If this issue does not get resolved then there will be even more buybacks. I can't believe Ford has not released a statement admitting that there is some kind of issue within suspension system. If they think that there is no issue, then they won't even attempt to fix it. Maybe many more buybacks need to happen before Ford steps in.

Talked to my dealership senior service writer about this today. He mentioned that there was a similar issue with the 5th Gen vehicles. Anyone know of or heard of that?

Talked to my dealership senior service writer about this today. He mentioned that there was a similar issue with the 5th Gen vehicles. Anyone know of or heard of that?
There are several threads in the 5th gen Forum about several different front end suspension noises. Just do a 'Search' there and you'll find them.
I don't believe that they were on new vehicles and I don't think there were any "buybacks" due to the problems. Most, if not all, were eventually resolved.

Peter

I received a call today from my Ford dealer. At my urging, they contacted Ford for an update on the front end rattles and were advised to replace the front struts. I don't expect that to change anything based on what has been posted here, but what the hey...They're ordering the struts.

It doesn't appear Ford has a solution, nor are they working on one....yet

I'm beginning to think they all have this issue but people do not hear it. Driving last night it is all I could hear over the damn frost heaves in my area. I asked my wife who was in the passenger seat (never told her about this issue) if she heard it... radio off, HVAC off, just listen.. and she says (it's the tires hitting the bumps.

Told her no, you shouldn't hear thuds over and over when hitting bumps. So 8,300 miles, she does not hear it, I do. I never noticed it sooner because the radio is loud enough to overcome it.

After I read this thread I decided to drive without the radio on to see if I heard anything. I did hear a slight noise running over raised paint lines, but I just consider that normal road noise from the tires like running over a rumble strip. Hope you all aren't chasing a noise that doesn't have a fix.

Who was the ST owner that had his ST in for the suspension noise and the dealer found some sub-frame bolts incorrectly installed ? What is the latest updates on this fix ? Did the dealer fix the suspension noise issue ?

Who was the ST owner that had his ST in for the suspension noise and the dealer found some sub-frame bolts incorrectly installed ? What is the latest updates on this fix ? Did the dealer fix the suspension noise issue ?
Your thread was merged with this one. Using the handy 'Search' feature, I found that post #58 is the one you are looking for.

Peter.

Howdy. That was me. Replacing the sub frame bolt, which apparently was loose, did the trick for me. What I was hearing would be a clunking noise when I would drive at low speeds. After they ordered a new one-time use bolt and installed it, the clunking noise went away.

2020ST
After I read this thread I decided to drive without the radio on to see if I heard anything. I did hear a slight noise running over raised paint lines, but I just consider that normal road noise from the tires like running over a rumble strip. Hope you all aren't chasing a noise that doesn't have a fix.
I can guarantee you there is a fix. Nothing can rattle and clunk like this without a solution. The tech, the mechanics and my dealer sales person can hear it...in more than one Explorer. Read Adam58...he has the best explanation of the sound that I've read.
Now if my dealer can figure out what a sub frame bolt is, maybe they'll finally be able to fix it.

My new ST developed a terrible clunking sound coming from the drivers-side REAR on day 3 of ownership (yesterday).

Brought it to the dealership this morning, almost immediately they discovered one of the bolts attaching the shock to the wheel well was "a quarter turn loose". Upon tightening it, the noise went away. I'm hoping it was just improperly torqued at the factory and this will not return.

Adam58 was nice enough to post a pretty detailed finding on the subframe bolt. How come no one with the problem seems to have looked at this themselves. It looks like the rear of the subframe has some plastic shroud that will need to be pulled back to inspect. If i had this problem I'd be checking that bolt for sure. just do it!

Thanks Ricky, I'll add this to the list. At some point I suppose my dealer will find the noise. Meanwhile they've ordered struts. Seems like a waste of time and money but who knows. I'm only out the time involved.

I fiddled with your photo, hope you don't mind.

IMG_20191023_145159.jpg

Thanks Ricky, I'll add this to the list. At some point I suppose my dealer will find the noise. Meanwhile they've ordered struts. Seems like a waste of time and money but who knows. I'm only out the time involved.

I fiddled with your photo, hope you don't mind.

View attachment 177436

I don't mind one bit. Hope anyone else with this issue gets it resolved.

My Platinum is still in the shop. Noise unresolved. Both struts replaced. Dropped off 12/23/2019. Clock still ticking on buyback.

The latest is that "Ford hotline instructed dealer to replace struts and bearings in front hubs" . This will be the 2nd set of struts installed since this all began. I don't expect this to change anything but they claim they are "new parts" as in redesign ? I don't know but the clock is ticking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If nobody posted about their struts being replaced, this is what I would have guessed it was. Considering how it follows the bumps and how quickly it happens over and over on rough roads, that's what I would have thought. I have a blown right rear strut on my 16 year old camry and it sounds like the same exact noise.

I'm curious on this "new parts" stuff... if they had new parts, I would think they would have issued a TSB on it now.

Back