Auto Hold System Fault

Woah322

Reaction score
City, State
SI,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Interceptor
23 XLT
Searched the forum , couldn’t find a similar thread , but I know what the Auto Hold feature is and how to use it but does anybody get an error message when they first start their truck, I wish it would store a code this way it’s not back and forth at the dealer

AFDFEF11-40D5-45CE-A536-0CDA02EF9FAA.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First person to report it unfortunately so do not think anyone will have an answer on this one.

As blwnsmoke said, you are the first to report this fault. Can you reproduce it consistantly or was it a one time thing?

Peter

It has happened more then once , but can’t reproduce it on demand, it will come on as soon as the vehicle is started and stay on the entire drive cycle and if the auto hold button is pushed the vehicle just does that warning chime/ beep and and then auto hold feature will be disabled

Searched the forum , couldn’t find a similar thread , but I know what the Auto Hold feature is and how to use it but does anybody get an error message when they first start their truck, I wish it would store a code this way it’s not back and forth at the dealer

View attachment 177521
The same thing has happened to me and I can’t reproduce it at will either. For me, it only seems to happen when I remote start the vehicle and let it run for a few minutes before I hop in.

If I turn the car off and back on, the fault clears and auto hold works fine. It’s annoying for sure, but I think trying to get the dealer to fix it would be more annoying to me.

Has happened a few times to me as well. Can't figure out a way to replicate it but it does seem to occur randomly with remote start like NPNelson stated. Interested in figuring out a fix

Has happened a few times to me as well. Can't figure out a way to replicate it but it does seem to occur randomly with remote start like NPNelson stated. Interested in figuring out a fix
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Thank you for supporting the site through your Elite Explorer membership.

Peter

Wanted to post a comment and say I'm having this issue as well. Only happens on remote start, and after sitting for a few minutes.

Take a cell phone shot and go to your nearest Ford dealer. I had a backup camera fault, managed to get a photo of the error. It only happened once but techs found the fault and replaced the camera.

Just purchased a 2021 XLT a few days ago and I seem to have been able to replicate it. When I used the ford connect pass schedule remote start and it sat for a few minutes as soon as I press the start button the error comes up. Turn it off and turn it back on and the error goes away, but it seems that every time the scheduled start is used it comes up. I start the car while in it and have not received the fault message.

Just purchased a 2021 XLT a few days ago and I seem to have been able to replicate it. When I used the ford connect pass schedule remote start and it sat for a few minutes as soon as I press the start button the error comes up. Turn it off and turn it back on and the error goes away, but it seems that every time the scheduled start is used it comes up. I start the car while in it and have not received the fault message.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Congrats on your new XLT. I'm guessing that none of the others have taken up this issue with their dealers since there haven't been any follow-up posts. It doesn't appear to be anything serious but if you get the dealer to check it out, please let us know. Thanks.

Peter

Actually, I have had this problem for a long time with my 2020 ST, and it took me a while to be able to duplicate it. The first few times, I was not able to show the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Once I had the fault, I drove to the dealer and showed them that I was not crazy. I gave the car to them and they told me they did some updates to the electronics. Told me it was fixed. A few days later, it came back. I then realized that the problem happens like NPNelson states that when I would use my fordpass to start the car, and wait a few minutes I would get the fault. I gave the car back to the dealer to fix it and they went to the ford engineers to figure out the problem. They master reset my car and updated everything they could and then told me they were not getting the fault anymore. That was about a week and a half ago. A few days later, I started my car remotely with my key fob and then got in my car and I got the fault again. Currently, the dealer is telling me they are in touch with Ford about the problem. It does not happen every time, but it does happen enough that it is irritating.

Thanks for listening to me rant. Wish there was a fix for this.

As a side note, the dealer says they have a couple of ST's on the lot, and mine is the only one that does it. I got my car March of last year and I only have 6600 miles on it.

Even though you get the warning, have you checked to see if Auto Hold is still working?

Peter

I have a 2020 Explorer XLT and have been having the same issue. Remote start, then enter the car and the "auto hold system fault" message occurs. I have also had the auto start stop not working most of the time. It usually states "engine on due to vehicle charging". I have been to the dealer at least 7 times in the past 2 months, sometimes for up to a week. They have been in contact with the Ford Hotline. They have replaced an apim module, gateway module, instrument cluster module, ... And have not been able to figure it out. It is still in service. Funny thing is they gave me a 2020 XLT loaner and it did the same thing... Hopefully there is a fix soon.

I have a 2020 Explorer XLT and have been having the same issue. Remote start, then enter the car and the "auto hold system fault" message occurs. I have also had the auto start stop not working most of the time. It usually states "engine on due to vehicle charging". I have been to the dealer at least 7 times in the past 2 months, sometimes for up to a week. They have been in contact with the Ford Hotline. They have replaced an apim module, gateway module, instrument cluster module, ... And have not been able to figure it out. It is still in service. Funny thing is they gave me a 2020 XLT loaner and it did the same thing... Hopefully there is a fix soon.
No I have not seen that issue much, really would depend on the situation I guess. Does it happen all the time or is it more on/off kind of thing. I would take it in to the dealer for sure.

No I have not seen that issue much, really would depend on the situation I guess. Does it happen all the time or is it more on/off kind of thing. I would take it in to the dealer for sure.
It is a more on and off thing for the auto hold, but can happen 3 or 4 times a week (though sometimes less). For the auto start stop it is more likely to fail then not. I told the dealer I would just deal with these issues and restart the car when needed (for the auto hold). They said for a new car there is no need for that and they will take care of it. Fingers crossed they find a solution

The Auto Hold feature is one of the first things I turned OFF so I can't comment on its reliability. I found it a bit too intrusive. As for the Auto Start/Stop, mine hasn't actually kicked in for months, probably because I usually only do short drives. If the engine isn't up to temperature or the overall vehicle voltage is low, it won't activate. I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with your Auto Start/Stop feature.

Peter

The Auto Hold is one of the first things I turned OFF so I can't comment on its reliability. I found it a bit too intrusive. As for the Auto Start/Stop, mine hasn't actually kicked in for months, probably because I usually only do short drives. If the engine isn't up to temperature or the overall vehicle voltage is low, it won't activate. I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with your Auto Start/Stop feature.

Peter
Hello and Thanks!
The only reason I brought the auto start/stop up to the dealer was because the loaner (same vehicle) has shut off everytime I stop and I thought maybe the two issues could be correlated. Who knows 🤷. I do agree it can be a bit intrusive as well and took me sometime to get used to.

View attachment 177521
It is a more on and off thing for the auto hold, but can happen 3 or 4 times a week (though sometimes less). For the auto start stop it is more likely to fail then not. I told the dealer I would just deal with these issues and restart the car when needed (for the auto hold). They said for a new car there is no need for that and they will take care of it. Fingers crossed they find a solution
I purchased my XLT last May due to my fusion (only 7 years old, needing a new engine due to a Ford issue. But I wont get into that.), we have been having multiple issues with the xlt. While the others were resolved I still continue to get the "Auto Hold System Fault ". It has been into the dealership several times now for it. One of the times I drove it straight there so they could see I wasn't making it up. They ran it on the computer and found multiple codes being thrown. The mechanic thought he took care of it by reprogramming the shifting console. Well it didn't fix it. This last time they kept it for a week and they said they reprogrammed the entire computer system and test drove it throughout the week to see if they could get it to come up. It never did. I just got it back last Friday and today (Tuesday) it came back up. I use my remote start every morning and after work depending on the temperature outside. I don't know if that has something to do with it but the dealership seems to be a bit stumped. Our next move is to either get advice from a lawyer to see if it qualifies for the lemon law or wait until we've paid enough of it off to trade it in for something other than a Ford. This is the 2nd vehicle in a row that we have not been happy with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was at the dealer for half the time I owned it (I owned it for about 4 months now). They were talking with Ford and said they would have engineers come look at it (not sure if they did). When and if it happens, it always happens when it is remote started first. They did not resolve it, but told me to wait until it gets worse because they could not resolve it (they put in several new modules). Every explorer rental I had had the same issue, so I feel it must be somewhat common. Hopefully you can get it resolved.

Back