Rear wheel bearings replace and rear diff ????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearings replace and rear diff ?????

sullen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 ford
So I need to do my rear wheel bearing and I’m a little confused......

I have (what may be a stupid) question.
I’m seeing how-to’s on replacing the rear wheel bearings including draining the rear diff, and removing the spider gears.
Then seeing some videos on the procedure where there is no mention of this, and the hub assembly is just removed.

I’ve never done the rears, recently done the fronts. Planning on getting and replacing the whole hub assembly, not pulling and just replacing the bearings.

So do I need to drain and pull gears?
Or just remove the hub assembly???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I need to do my rear wheel bearing and I’m a little confused......

I have (what may be a stupid) question.
I’m seeing how-to’s on replacing the rear wheel bearings including draining the rear diff, and removing the spider gears.
Then seeing some videos on the procedure where there is no mention of this, and the hub assembly is just removed.

I’ve never done the rears, recently done the fronts. Planning on getting and replacing the whole hub assembly, not pulling and just replacing the bearings.

So do I need to drain and pull gears?
Or just remove the hub assembly???[/QUOTE
@sullen

The rear suspension with independent suspension does not use "hubs". The wheel bearings are called that because they support the vehicle out at the wheels. They are pressed into "knuckles" which in turn carry the weight to the frame.

Bearings inside the differential center section which support the inner ends of the axle shafts are called "inner axle shaft bearings". The splined end of the inner part of the axle shaft, supported by a bearing on each side, enters the differential side gear, having a female spline, which is in turn driven by the differential "spider" gear, which is forced to rotate with the differential carrier, having the ring gear being rotated by the center section pinion gear, turned by the driveshaft. Follow the power flow?

There are 6 bearings in the center section: pinion 2, diff carrier 2, and the axle shaft bearings, 1 on each side. Now yer out to the wheel bearings in the knuckles. They are a difficult home job to replace, usually a very tight press fit, requiring correct-sized plugs or bushings to press them in or out. I use 3/4"-drive socket wrenches. Sometimes hammer out, usually require a hydraulic press.

Fordmakuloco is a great resource:

Do you have a solid rear axle or independent suspension like the one in the video? That probably makes a difference.

By the way, it's no fun removing the knuckle. A high torque impact will be helpful for the bolts.

Fordmakuloco is a great resource:

Do you have a solid rear axle or independent suspension like the one in the video? That probably makes a difference.

@Larryjb

His OP stated 2004: independent. I wouldn't take all the effort if I thought it were a solid axle, I've caught Makuloc in several mistakes, cleverly hidden, like a "bad" rear wheel speed sensor causing ridiculous non-related symptoms, but fixed them. Watch for B.S.

@Larryjb

His OP stated 2004: independent. I wouldn't take all the effort if I thought it were a solid axle, I've caught Makuloc in several mistakes, cleverly hidden, like a "bad" rear wheel speed sensor causing ridiculous non-related symptoms, but fixed them. Watch for B.S.

I didn't catch that in his original post. Did he delete part of it?

It’s the third gen forum, and his profile says 2004.

Great thanks guys. Yes it’s an 2004 4.0 4x4 EB

Good to hear it because I wasn’t really looking forward to draining fluid and messing with gears, on top of fighting with the knuckle.

I don’t have an impact gun, just a large breaker bar.

It’s the third gen forum, and his profile says 2004.

Sorry, I knew he had a 3rd generation Explorer. From his question I wasn't sure if Ford used two kinds of rear axles/suspensions in that generation. I have my answer now.

Sorry, I knew he had a 3rd generation Explorer. From his question I wasn't sure if Ford used two kinds of rear axles/suspensions in that generation. I have my answer now.
No need for sorrys ;) . I’ve assumed by someone’s signature, or profile, and they had since bought a newer model, or posted in the wrong forum.

@Larryjb
Watch for B.S.

Yes a lot of that going around.

Does anyone know the axle nut size on the rear of a 2004???

I have the shop manual, it gives the torque spec and the part number, I googled the part # to no avail ((it’s n808405-s100 fwiw))

Results on google and forums are all over the place, anywhere from 30 to 36

By the way, it's no fun removing the knuckle. A high torque impact will be helpful for the bolts.

Yeah you ain’t kidding!!

Doing it all with hand tools, and at this point I kinda wish I had brought it to someone and enjoyed my Sunday on the couch, but I’m almost halfway through it.

Will know better when the driver side goes....

When you see the shop quote, you'll change your mind when you realize how much beer you can get with the money you save.

Sorry, bad character recognition when not at a real keyboard.... Text has been corrected.

Back