Sloshing sound with full tank | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloshing sound with full tank

Where are the drain holes located on the door?
Going by previous Explorers, there should be rubber or plastic plugs along the bottom edge.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an FYI:

The 2020 fuel tank is not in the back at all. It’s located under the truck, on the driver side, under a large plastic/felt covered shield.

I can certainly replicate the “sloshing effect” if I pull slowly in a parking spot under 5mph and apply the brake a few times as the tuck is rolling - each time the “slosh” is present. I can feel it and hear it - almost as if something is inside the tank sloshing around. If it’s not something loose in the tank, then it has to be the result of fuel splashing around inside of the tank.

Currently the truck has 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

It’s definitely noticeable and can be felt/heard only on the driver side with all windows up and all interior systems completely off (ie: no front HVAC, no stereo, no rear HVAC, etc).

I’m certain others experiencing the issue can replicate it in the same manner in a parking lot.

Going by previous Explorers, there should be rubber or plastic plugs along the bottom edge.

Peter

I see two plastic clips on each door on the bottom edge. Are they supposed to plug the holes?

I see two plastic clips on each door on the bottom edge. Are they supposed to plug the holes?
I believe those are the drains The covers are to keep dirt/debris out. I'll have to check the ones on mine.

Peter

Does everyone have this sound on their car? Or is a baffle lose that we need to get fixed?

Somebody should try and fill up the tank completely (and by that, I mean all the way up to the fuel filler).

If it is really the gas tank, you should not hear any sloshing sound at that stage. If the tank is topped off completely, it should not slosh.

I dont think this car has the drain holes. This doesnt look the ones I've seen on my previous car.

20200123_184943.jpg

I dont think this car has the drain holes. This doesnt look the ones I've seen on my previous car.

View attachment 177622

Those black plastic plugs are inserted into the door drainage holes. I’m not sure why those are still in the door, but that is exactly where water would normally drain from the doors, through those holes.

The black plastic plugs are not solid; even if water entered into the door, it would still drain out of the hole past the black plugs, only at a slower rate. So the sloshing is not and cannot be “water in the doors”.... the sloshing is coming from the fuel tank,

If there is any debris in the door, it definitely won’t get past those black plugs... So again, I’m not sure IF those plugs should have been removed after the vehicle was through final assembly or not... Maybe someone with internal Ford assembly knowledge can answer that question...

The plugs can be removed, just grasp and pull hard either with your fingers or needle nose pliers.

Those black plastic plugs are inserted into the door drainage holes. I’m not sure why those are still in the door, but that is exactly where water would normally drain from the doors, through those holes.

The black plastic plugs are not solid; even if water entered into the door, it would still drain out of the hole past the black plugs, only at a slower rate. So the sloshing is not and cannot be “water in the doors”.... the sloshing is coming from the fuel tank,

If there is any debris in the door, it definitely won’t get past those black plugs... So again, I’m not sure IF those plugs should have been removed after the vehicle was through final assembly or not... Maybe someone with internal Ford assembly knowledge can answer that question...

The plugs can be removed, just grasp and pull hard either with your fingers or needle nose pliers.

Did you remove yours?

It’s probably just fuel flowing over the top of the baffles. If a baffle was broken, and flopping around your tank, you’d know it. It’d also get worse the less fuel you had.

Did you remove yours?
I would not remove them. If you look closely you will see that there is a small indentation under the 'plug' that will allow water to drain through. My Aviator has the same setup.

Peter

Door drain.jpg

View attachment 177622

I would not remove them. If you look closely you will see that there is a small indentation under the 'plug' that will allow water to drain through. My Aviator has the same setup.

Peter

View attachment 177639

vash610 your image, the “plug” is closed or blocking the drainage hole.

Peterk9 image, the plug is open and not blocking the hole.

if you take your finger, you can slide the plug up and down inside of that hole it’s in. Again, I’m not sure why Ford (or Lincoln) would insert a plug into the door drainage holes. Water and debris should be allowed to flow freely out of those holes in the front and rear doors.

I don’t know what the purpose of that plug is or why they are left in the doors. As I stated before, yes, the plugs will still allow water to pass through, but at a slower rate and if there is any debris in the door, it won’t be able to get past the plug.

Yes, I have removed one from my ST loaner to see if it could be removed and it can (and can be inserted back into the hole). The plug can be moved up or down while it’s in the holes.

Design purpose on the new 2020 Explorer unknown - because if you were to look at nearly any other vehicle, there will be drainage holes or slits at the bottoms of the doors with no “plugs”.

It’s probably just fuel flowing over the top of the baffles. If a baffle was broken, and flopping around your tank, you’d know it. It’d also get worse the less fuel you had.

Yes, the sloshing or noise is more pronounced as the tank gets lower.

So my next question would be, does anyone have any available images of the design of the 2020 fuel tank interior?

Is there an access panel in the 2020 that allows access to the fuel pump through the floor pan of the truck? In many of the newer Fords, the top of the fuel tanks can now be accessed from under a rear seat or elsewhere to service the fuel pumps, instead of having to drop the tanks. If there’s an access panel, I wonder if it would allow visibility to the interior of the tank to see if anything is floating around (other than fuel splashing)?

Yes, the sloshing or noise is more pronounced as the tank gets lower.

So my next question would be, does anyone have any available images of the design of the 2020 fuel tank interior?

Is there an access panel in the 2020 that allows access to the fuel pump through the floor pan of the truck? In many of the newer Fords, the top of the fuel tanks can now be accessed from under a rear seat or elsewhere to service the fuel pumps, instead of having to drop the tanks. If there’s an access panel, I wonder if it would allow visibility to the interior of the tank to see if anything is floating around (other than fuel splashing)?
Most of the other posters here are reporting the sound goes away at a certain tank level, not gets worse as the level gets lower. If I am understanding them correctly, anyways.

Just an FYI:

The 2020 fuel tank is not in the back at all. It’s located under the truck, on the driver side, under a large plastic/felt covered shield.

I can certainly replicate the “sloshing effect” if I pull slowly in a parking spot under 5mph and apply the brake a few times as the tuck is rolling - each time the “slosh” is present. I can feel it and hear it - almost as if something is inside the tank sloshing around. If it’s not something loose in the tank, then it has to be the result of fuel splashing around inside of the tank.

Currently the truck has 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

It’s definitely noticeable and can be felt/heard only on the driver side with all windows up and all interior systems completely off (ie: no front HVAC, no stereo, no rear HVAC, etc).

I’m certain others experiencing the issue can replicate it in the same manner in a parking lot.
Im glad I found this thread. I’m experiencing the exact same problem. I’ve been in and out of the service department and they’ve narrowed it down to something fuel related but can’t pinpoint it. They filled the tank and noticed it did it worse when full. I agreed. They told me to take it home and drive it until the tank is below 1/4 and bring it back... I’m calling Monday to make another appointment. We’re onto something here, I’ll keep you posted. On another note, any suspension noises? I’m noticing a thud sound when going over smaller, sharp bumps.

Im glad I found this thread. I’m experiencing the exact same problem. I’ve been in and out of the service department and they’ve narrowed it down to something fuel related but can’t pinpoint it. They filled the tank and noticed it did it worse when full. I agreed. They told me to take it home and drive it until the tank is below 1/4 and bring it back... I’m calling Monday to make another appointment. We’re onto something here, I’ll keep you posted. On another note, any suspension noises? I’m noticing a thud sound when going over smaller, sharp bumps.

Multiple suspension noises

Really sounds like Ford should have waited until 2021 to release these turds. They are making it harder and harder to be a”Ford” guy every year. I need to qualify it now with “I’m and old Ford guy”

Really sounds like Ford should have waited until 2021 to release these turds. They are making it harder and harder to be a”Ford” guy every year. I need to qualify it now with “I’m and old Ford guy”

My first car was a Ford. I’ve had many. i worked for Ford for 30 years, and I’ve never seen the myriad of launch issues that this vehicle is experiencing. Very worrisome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first car was a Ford. I’ve had many. i worked for Ford for 30 years, and I’ve never seen the myriad of launch issues that this vehicle is experiencing. Very worrisome.

The 2011 was equally as bad if not worse.

Back