PTU Problems | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sounds good, and that pump is nice on the wallet. I was thinking of maybe trying a synthetic 80w140 or Lightweight Shockproof. I would love to be able to last 25k miles between changes.

I used Amsoil for both PTU and rear diff on mine because a lot of people recommended it.
I know one was the Severe Gear version, which I believe was for the PTU.
Rear diff used a different fluid I believe.
I'm sure it's listed in the PTU fluid change thread somewhere on this forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's seems to be a lot of misinformation on the internet as to when they permanently stopped using the PTU's without the drain plug and permanently started using PTU's with the drain plug. If there's even exact time frames. I would just drive it up on ramps or put it on a jack stand and crawl under and eyeball it.

Not misinformation. It's just Ford's stupid illogical sense of setting them up. Basically there are several PTU configurations:
1). Has fill plug only
2). Has drain plug only
3). Has fill plug AND drain plug

Usually if there's a drain plug, there's a water-jacketed cooler as well and the fill plug gets deleted in favor of a temp sender.

On the smaller PTUs used on the Fusion Sport and Escape, if you get a cooler, you also get the fill and drain plugs. However, some vehicles like the Edge Sport / ST were reported not to have a cooler.

There wasn't any MY cut-in times or anything like that, it depends on the size of the PTU (model of vehicle) and cooling/non-cooling configuration.

I heard there was a final design change in the idler gears that was cut-in June of 2016 that supposedly fixed the overheating issue (gears were walking into the case, like a Torsen differential) but I haven't heard of any MY17-19 PTUs overheating on the Explorer, which is a good sign.

I heard that a Group V gear oil is recommended in the PTU due to the high content of esters, but I heard Amsoil Severe Gear oil isn't necessarily a Group IV/V anymore. Also heard recommendations for Redline's Lightweight Shockproof Oil for the PTU.

I contacted redline with some questions in regards to what they would advise.

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your PTU the 75W140 would be recommended, a temperature of 290F is hot but not excessive for our fluids.

The 80W140 would be an option, though is a little different product than called for and likely wouldn’t provide a benefit over our 75W140.

The ShockProof gear oils are designed and better suited to racing and some speciality applications, likely wouldn’t provide a benefit in this application over the 75W140.

Regards,"

Yes most of the time the oil manufacturers just stick with the base recommendations. I'm not sure they understand that there's not a whole lot of oil in a confined space sitting over hot catalytic converters. FWIW I randomly found out the Haldex systems in European cars have filters and about 30k mile change interval but those are fancier and have clutch packs.

I heard there was a final design change in the idler gears that was cut-in June of 2016 that supposedly fixed the overheating issue (gears were walking into the case, like a Torsen differential) but I haven't heard of any MY17-19 PTUs overheating on the Explorer, which is a good sign

Wow- only took Ford 10 years to make a reliable PTU if you consider the years of development before the explorer launch in 2011 and usage in similar vehicles like edge. Way to go Ford.

Yes most of the time the oil manufacturers just stick with the base recommendations. I'm not sure they understand that there's not a whole lot of oil in a confined space sitting over hot catalytic converters. FWIW I randomly found out the Haldex systems in European cars have filters and about 30k mile change interval but those are fancier and have clutch packs.
Haldex is/was good, higher end product. More expensive and more complex - a true and proper AWD setup. The stuff on the explorer is more like a dollar store knock off in comparison.

When Volvo (owned by ford at the time) and freestyle used haldex AWD systems, they didn't have a fluid change interval - said lifetime, even though most/all others that used haldex systems had a maintenance interval for fluids.

Just keep in mind, fluid maintenance won't change longevity of a part with a design or other defect, such as gears that are prone to walking into the case.

Wow- only took Ford 10 years to make a reliable PTU if you consider the years of development before the explorer launch in 2011 and usage in similar vehicles like edge. Way to go Ford.

Real world mule testing is usually 12 months prior to release, not 5 years.

Real world mule testing is usually 12 months prior to release, not 5 years.
Within 12 months of the start of serial production, everything is pretty much done and locked down. Even though more stuff is getting compressed in the design and development cycle, prototype and pre-production mules are still put into play 3-5 yrs out or more depending on whether new platform or carryover.

Also, some components are carried over for several programs. There are current mustang parts that are carried over from prior generations with little or no change. Same for the Chrysler lx vehicles that are a carry over from a prior MB e class from 20+ yrs ago.

Tesla is about the only player that is doing little or no real prototype or pre-production testing and basically using customers to beta test their products and making changes literally on the fly. I don't know of any other major automakers following the Tesla playbook.

I recall Ford using Haldex on early D3 vehicles and then switching to an in house design, which leads us to 2019.

Changed my PTU fluid today, 69k on the clock. Only pulled out around 10oz. Drained and filled it twice with 18oz of redline 75-140.

The fluid was pretty dark but not grease thick. I pulled the vent tube and felt it but was scared to try and clean and knock any of the build up back into the ptu. How are you guys cleaning the vent hole?

I recall Ford using Haldex on early D3 vehicles and then switching to an in house design, which leads us to 2019.
I believe the ptu has been pretty much the same from 2007-2019, barring the improvements made in 16/17. I believe the rdu was from haldex in the 500/freestyle up til 2008/9. Do your own due diligence as this is just to the best of my recollection from having worked as an industry analyst covering driveline and other component groups during the mid to late 2000s.

Dana supplied the rear diff for a while. Jtekt supplied an rdu wet clutch for a while as well as other ptu/driveshaft components (some may be from tier 2/3 suppliers).

I recall the JTEKT wet clutch RDU for at least 13-up, Police Interceptors and SHO/Sport. I think they were rated at 1000 ftlb of torque. Not sure of specifics. Interesting that the PTU was the same.i could have sworn I read an article back in 2008 or so that Ford switched from Haldex to their own in-house design. Not sure what they were referring to other than AWD system

Here's a BW video on haldex 5.

I believe the older Haldex used to have a filter and the fluid/filter change intervals were recommended at 20-30K. Haldex generally refers to the clutch pack/diff. I'm not sure if haldex makes or made a ptu.

The RDU in 5G explorer is an electromechanically operated wet clutch. I don't recall if Jtekt supplied the ITCC for all 5gens or not or whether some were 2g ITCC vs 3g ITCC or if they were all 3g ITCC.

Hey there, I've been a menber for a few years but just lurking. I just took my 2016 Explorer sport in for a bunch of issues and to do the maintenance required. I have not had any PTU issues, but asked the Ford dealer to change the ptu fluid and he called me and said that i didn't need to. I told him that under the sever service schedule and towing to have it done every 30k. He said ok I'll do what you want because its your vehicle. I'm so glad it has the coolant cover and the air duct onto the PTU. It currently has 72k miles. The issues I'm having is clunking when backing up and turning, (power steering rack) wheel bearing noise, (right rear). Plus I'm having a coolant flush and synthetic oil change as always. We use BP 93 octane in it from new and don't have any carbon built up and we drive it hard. I will let you guys know the ptu fluid condition on drain. We love this suv and hope to keep it a long time.

He said ok I'll do what you want because its your vehicle.
Tell him, "no its what Ford finally admitted that needs to happen due to poor design"

Peter pointed out the pages: 489 to 491 of your owners manual.

Tell him, "no its what Ford finally admitted that needs to happen due to poor design"

Peter pointed out the pages: 489 to 491 of your owners manual.
Those pages in the 2014 Manual refer to MFT.

Peter

Without punctuation my WO is hard to read but I'll add the comma's: "Removed PTU and coolant lines, installed new PTU with new vent, installed coolant lines." I think that's what the Tech meant.
I haven't crawled under there to look but my take is that the coolant lines are attached to the PTU and have to be removed to replace the unit. Maybe one of the experts who has done a hands-on repair can chime in about this.

The Explorer ran smooth today, fingers crossed it stays that way.
Does anyone on here have any advice about reconnecting the coolant lines after replacing the PTU? Space is very tight. Can’t get them to set inside the PTU Cooler

Back