• Register Today It's free!

Turbo issues?

NCcarguy

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone heard of any issues with the turbos on the ST? I am fairly certain that I lost mine today. Pulled out of my neighborhood in front of a vehicle (which you have to do every morning to get out of the neighnborhood) and it wouldn't go....I know that feeling all too well since I have lost 3 turbos on my Super Duty, but hell, that truck has 285,000 miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the hose connections? In the early days of the 2013 Sport there were many reports of loose connections or hoses that came off resulting in loss of power.

Peter

I popped the hood and looked for anything that may be loose or disconnected, I couldn't find anything. I took it to the dealership yesterday, so I'll let everyone know what they find out......I'm going to guess it's just toast. I was a little relieved to come on here and see that no one else had been posting about this being an issue, so for now, we can just assume it's an isolated case.

I popped the hood and looked for anything that may be loose or disconnected, I couldn't find anything. I took it to the dealership yesterday, so I'll let everyone know what they find out......I'm going to guess it's just toast. I was a little relieved to come on here and see that no one else had been posting about this being an issue, so for now, we can just assume it's an isolated case.

Nope, not a single issue with turbos posted. If that is the issue, I'd just check it up to a manufacturer defect.. I am surprised you didnt throw a code for an under boost condition if it is the turbo.

Nope, not a single issue with turbos posted. If that is the issue, I'd just check it up to a manufacturer defect.. I am surprised you didnt throw a code for an under boost condition if it is the turbo.
wouldn't it show a problem on Ford pass under the Vehicle health tab.

Any updates?

Hope it all worked out for you !!

My SHO never threw a code when it had a turbo let go to the point of oil in the intake.

We are on our second vehicle with the TS engine.
Only thing I have noticed is that when getting on it when it’s cold out, the exhaust puts out a lot of steam, you can see it through the back window.
Other than that they have performed really well.
Hope it’s not a huge problem for you and everything turns out ok.

I got the ST back and the service guy said nothing was wrong with it. I drove this thing for 8000 miles and was always impressed with how the throttle responded and the power, now it just feels like it has no power. I think the turbo is free spinning in the housing. sometimes it feels like it has a little turbo help, and sometimes it feels like there's none. I'm taking it back in tomorrow and will keep everyone updated. I think I'm going to have to get a service tech to drive this one and a new one back to back.

Why not try Forscan to log MAP to see if you are boosting above atmospheric pressure.

Why not try Forscan to log MAP to see if you are boosting above atmospheric pressure.
That may work....hell, I was looking up places that have a dyno around here to get a pull on one of those, I know I'm not just imagining things. The truck just doesn't pull hard now, and has terrible turbo lag, when I don't ever remember it doing that before.

I have the OBDLink MX+ adapter and tried their free app OBDLink on iOS just now and it does have a boost gauge if you are interested.

3 turbos on an SD and now this? Maybe you're the common dominator?????

For what it''s worth, I had something similar happen with my 2018 Platinum Explorer with the twin turbo V-6.

It only had 500 miles on it and I'd been working on getting it broke in, so up to that point while I had floored it a number of times I always let off when the turbos started kicking in. On this occasion, I pulled on to a high traffic six lane road and floored it with the idea of letting it go to the shift. It didn't make it....

The acceleration really dropped off, no lights or anything so I decided to get off the road and take a peek under the hood. The engine was running pretty rough and as I slowed down it got worse. It felt like it was only running on three cylinders and as I slowed down more it continued to get worse. Being an old drag racer I started to power braked the thing as I did NOT want to get stopped in the middle of a six lane road and rush hour traffic.

Got it in a parking lot and as soon as I took my foot off the gas pedal, it quit. I got a wrecker ride to the nearest Ford dealer and the tech fixed it in about 45 minutes start to finish. He said it was a loose hose connection from the factory but did not tell me which one.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that is the case. I took the service tech for a ride last week, so we will see. I told him if he couldn't figure it out, then they may as well line up a new ST and we will drive them back to back. I know it's not right....I can tell that it just doesn't have any top end power now. I have a theory that one turbo let go, so you still get some boost, and it will "feel" normal under light driving, it's only when you get on it that you can tell it's just not right.

I have the OBDLink MX+ adapter and tried their free app OBDLink on iOS just now and it does have a boost gauge if you are interested.
I have this, and tried it out on the loaner "limited" that they let me drive this morning, but as I was coming in, it had me thinking about how that boost will be measured. I think I'm correct in these engines are running two turbos parallel, so if one is bad, then it should still show boost, even if the other one isn't boosting. That may not tell the story. Hopefully they will figure something out. I told them if they couldn't figure it out, then to line up a new one for us to test drive back to back with mine when they call me to come get it.

You need to watch the lb per hr PID.

So...Here's where we are. The dealership has had the vehicle for about a month now. They are also dealing with the climate control issue and a vibration. I've had 2 people at the dealership ride with me and I can show them over and over that something seems odd about the way this thing runs now. They have tested the turbo's and they say they are producing the correct boost, and its not throwing any codes.....so we are stuck. Here's something I can do over and over....Running down the road about 45-50mph, I can press the gas pedal to the floor and it literally does nothing. I keep telling them that I use to do that and it would scream as I passed cars on a long straight stretch of highway between my house and the beach, but now it doesn't feel like it has enough power to even attempt to pass a car. They don't know what else to do.....I have started a case with Ford. I may just give up on this one, although I think I would prefer another one. I really like this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is pretty bizarre to have a lack of power without any type of fault code or obvious mechanical issue. Does your dealership agree that the vehicle is lacking power? Have they asked Ford for assistance?

Back