How to: - Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

LurchII

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
I decided to do the installation myself. The dealer would not cover this, since it was not on the original build data list. I am though getting reimbursed for the parts, please don’t ask how…

Have a Ford Dealer that is close
Be friends with a mechanic
Have Patience

Parts list:
HN5 Nut, already on the vehicle. Holds the heat shield

Parts to order:
<11778 deflector
HN1 C-Nut x 4, should come with the deflector. Make sure it faces up, nut towards the sky.
HS1 Bolt x 4 (P/N W5052745439). This may/or may not be correct. When it came in it was WAY too big. This is where mechanic friend comes in handy, he was able to find the right one in his toolbox. Sorry no P/N.
HM1 x 2 Plastic push pin (P/N W14040S300)

Remove HN5 x 4 10mm, place deflector in place, snug up the 4 nuts (HN5). The deflector should sit on top of the rear bumper, snug up HS1 x 4, 8mm. At this point I installed the HM1 x 2 plastic push pins, to help alignment. Tighten up the remaining hardware. I did HN5, then HS1, no specific torque value that I could find, so just snug.

Refer to attached pictures, and diagram under post: “Is this part (Air Deflector) missing…” it’s that simple, it took me less than 10 minuet’s to install, no ramps or special tools required.

Jeff

20200131_092424.jpg

20200131_134935.jpg

20200131_134954.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I decided to do the installation myself. The dealer would not cover this, since it was not on the original build data list. I am though getting reimbursed for the parts, please don’t ask how…

Have Patience

Parts list:

Parts to order:
<11778 deflector
HN1 C-Nut x 4, should come with the deflector. Make sure it faces up, nut towards the sky.
HS1 Bolt x 4 (P/N W5052745439). This may/or may not be correct. When it came in it was WAY too big. This is where mechanic friend comes in handy, he was able to find the right one in his toolbox. Sorry no P/N.

Remove HN5 x 4 10mm, place deflector in place, snug up the 4 nuts (HN5). The deflector should sit on top of the rear bumper, snug up HS1 x 4, 8mm. At this point I installed the HM1 x 2 plastic push pins, to help alignment. Tighten up the remaining hardware. I did HN5, then HS1, no specific torque value that I could find, so just snug.

Refer to attached pictures, and diagram under post: “Is this part (Air Deflector) missing…” it’s that simple, it took me less than 10 minuet’s to install, no ramps or special tools required.

Jeff

View attachment 177911

View attachment 177912

View attachment 177913
Thank you for taking the time to do the write up on this. Were the rivets on the rear fascia in the way at all?
index.php

Thanks for the install tutorial. I have one on order from my dealer and still waiting as they said it was on a national back order.
My dealer had no issue getting it ordered for mine. None on their lot had any installed as well.

Thanks for the install tutorial. I have one on order from my dealer and still waiting as they said it was on a national back order.
My dealer had no issue getting it ordered for mine. None on their lot had any installed as well.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the Explorers you are referring to were all ST's, that sort of backs up my post above.

Peter

The Rivets we're not in the way. There flat on the top. I snuged up the bumper bolts, wiggled them, snuged them again until they would not move. There is no torque value, and didn't want to do any damage...
Jeff

The Rivets we're not in the way. There flat on the top. I snuged up the bumper bolts, wiggled them, snuged them again until they would not move. There is no torque value, and didn't want to do any damage...
Jeff
Thank you

Have Patience

Parts list:

Parts to order:
<11778 deflector

Jeff

View attachment 177911

View attachment 177912

View attachment 177913
Did you notice any differences after the installation? I installed the deflector last night and I noticed that there seemed to be less road and wind noise during my ride in to work this morning.

Thanks Peter. Do you believe that this data set includes every owner of every Explorer sold for the 6th Gen? I highly doubt it does.
Nope. Unless they are a Forum member, most owners are likely unaware of the deflector at all.

Peter

Ordered all the parts. I'll post up details when I do the install.

I just got mine on yesterday and the tow hook. All covered under warranty and it is supposed to be there. I’ve been with Ford over 20 years and know a lot of local dealers well and after some convos with a few ford crapped the bed with the new explorer launch. Quality control was horrific. So many issues on new explorers hitting the lots. Parts missing paint screwed that needed dealer repair. Window trim missing seats installed but not connected and the list goes on.
Deflectors are a standard part on all trim models. If ur dealer isn’t comping you you need a new dealer
D4663CFF-7782-42C5-96F7-2070B595E3C8.jpeg

I just got mine on yesterday and the tow hook. All covered under warranty and it is supposed to be there. I’ve been with Ford over 20 years and know a lot of local dealers well and after some convos with a few ford crapped the bed with the new explorer launch. Quality control was horrific. So many issues on new explorers hitting the lots. Parts missing paint screwed that needed dealer repair. Window trim missing seats installed but not connected and the list goes on.
Deflectors are a standard part on all trim models. If ur dealer isn’t comping you you need a new dealer View attachment 179563
Looks good. My dealer gave me the same feedback on quality issues.

Your comment on the disconnected seats must be why the driver’s seat in the first one I test drove could not be adjusted. The look on the salesman’s face was hilarious when I told him it wasn’t making a good first impression (especially me coming from a luxury car brand).

I just got all 3 missing parts today.
No problem from my dealer at all.

My order was filled by WBL autonation. Just need to pick it up and install! If my install goes well I'll post full details to add to part numbers and install etc.

My order was filled by WBL autonation. Just need to pick it up and install! If my install goes well I'll post full details to add to part numbers and install etc.
Thank you, but that has already been covered in the first post.

Peter

Thank you, but that has already been covered in the first post.

Peter

while I appreciate the OP post and info to help, there wasn’t exact parts for nuts etc. also the install pics didnt fully explain how it installs If you don’t have the parts in hand to see. I just want to add info to clarify

Contact Benny. He was gracious enough to email me a picture of the entire enchilada ............ along with the sauce. ;)

Or, as my dealer's srv mgr said, it is there to serve as a sound deadener for the third row seats-cargo area as it is made of the same material as the fender liners.

Mine came today. Thank you Benny. As with others, it was simpler to pay for it out of pocket. I will have my dealer install it as I can no longer get on a creeper and slide under the ST. I will do the same with the roof inserts and shock tower brace when it shows up. Truly stinks not being able to do my own work anymore. Such is life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just looked at a new ST today that I'm probably picking up on Wednesday, which was built in mid-February. No lower deflector (or engine compartment insulator either). Will get on them for that.

20200406_145817.jpg

Back