Alignment / Steering Wheel Centering Issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alignment / Steering Wheel Centering Issue

Weird, at my work (Nissan Dealer) we give alignment sheets whether its warranty or customer pay work. Also because its warranty theres a good chance that the techs were rushing through it since warranty work doesn't pay them as well as customer pay does, hence the reason why your steering wheel is off.

Like said above, you would be better off taking it somewhere and paying the money to get it straight if they are gonna keep beating around the bush.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also it is interesting that they would say your toe was causing the pull to the left, when toe doesnt cause pulls.....

If the car thinks the wheel is centered but it's ****eyed, that is not a simple fix for an independent alignment shop. I'd go to another dealer. Thankfully, I have several within an hour drive.

If the car thinks the wheel is centered but it's ****eyed, that is not a simple fix for an independent alignment shop. I'd go to another dealer. Thankfully, I have several within an hour drive.

Not necessarily. Usually all that needs to be done is reset the steering angle. Whats complicated is having the proper scan tool and the know how to reset it. I agree a dealer is the best option for that, but independent shops should be able to do it

Well, third time they had it. This is the alignment chart from their service. Apparently, their second alignment was so ridiculously out of spec that it caused this. I swear, if I had another dealer even reasonably close, I would never EVER return here. It does drive / the wheel is somewhat straight-ish now. Not perfect, but I'll be damned if they try adjusting it again...

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 5.41.49 PM.png

Wow, thats no good :laugh: honestly its not too far out tho, just looks like someone was lazy. The rear toe was probably never adjusted, which it should have been. And your front toe is perfect which you can tell from the total toe measurement, minus the steering wheel not being straight which can be seen at the steer ahead measurement. Looks like its adjusted pretty much perfect now.

The only problem I have left with the vehicle is the steering. The clear vision is off center by half an inch to the left even after 2 alignments, but still noticeable enough to be annoying. It gets better when I lower the tire pressure back to 35psi (should be 33 I know). But I got the car delivered with 40psi and folks at the dealership did not put it at 33psi stone cold when doing the alignments. I have notified them about this and I got told they know how to do alignment and that they don’t need my opinion. So I am going to find an another dealership I guess. The car swings a bit also and the lane assist is unusable because of this. I am seriously hoping to get a FMC engineer coming to witness this because it ruins the otherwise nice feeling of the car. Also hoping there are no other parts involved hence why I was curious to know what parts were ordered in an another thread about this annoying steering issue.

^^ Your post was merged with this more appropriate one found using the 'Search' feature.
You may also want to check this thread; Steering problems
I don't know if 2 PSI difference would make a difference in setting the alignment or not.

Peter

^^ Your post was merged with this more appropriate one found using the 'Search' feature.
You may also want to check this thread; Steering problems
I don't know if 2 PSI difference would make a difference in setting the alignment or not.

Peter
They did it with 40 psi. It's when I deflate it to 35 when it gets better, the driving.

I had a similar issue with my 2017 Platinum and i made them fix it. iT's an electric steering. I made them put the hook onto the steering wheel and then adjust the toe in and it was fixed. Even that its electric its not the hard to fix...

I agree to take it to the best independent shop that does alignments in your area. Any of the top places will have no trouble getting your wheel centered.

Thanks. My car is new under warranty and I was naively thinking Ford technicians are skilled enough to fix it. Seems they just can’t. When I tell to the service manager to center the wheel, the man tells me he has more than 40 years experience with alignments and I should basically not tell him what to do. Very arrogant. Definitely need to find a better place.

Thanks. My car is new under warranty and I was naively thinking Ford technicians are skilled enough to fix it. Seems they just can’t. When I tell to the service manager to center the wheel, the man tells me he has more than 40 years experience with alignments and I should basically not tell him what to do. Very arrogant. Definitely need to find a better place.

Centering a steering wheel is one of the more basic operations of an alignment. If he has 40 years experience, he should get out there and show his technician how to do it correctly. If I were you, I'd go to a different dealership. If another dealership resolves your problem, I would give poor feedback to Ford regarding the first dealership.

Back