My Explorer Sport Build | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Sport Build

Sorry to see ya go
Oochh goodbyes are so hard :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you’re at least going to stick around!

Gotta set something setup so we can get that Durango and my Explorer out on the trails!

I totally agree. Got to get Durango fixed first then I will get her out there on the trails

Hang on there Worm. Been following your build. We gotta see how much more gets done to it. Maybe have your brother join the forum and continue with some updates. Explorer Sports are semi-rare and I like to see what owners are doing with them. I continually work on my 95 and am always looking for ideas. Don't be a stranger either way.

Oh I plan to stay here. I have friends here and I like watching their builds. I will keep you all updated on this one if more happens with it.

You can't stay away:D

Oh I plan to stay here. I have friends here and I like watching their builds. I will keep you all updated on this one if more happens with it.
What year is the Durango?....the one's with the 4.7's are know to drop valve seats starting around 150K.....

Its a 98 Durango with a 5.2 318 in it.

Best kind, apart from the 5.9 (had two 5.9's, a 5.2, and a 5.7 Hemi, I love me some Dodges :D) Did a 5.2 -> 5.9 motor swap in an 2000 2wd Durango. I have never had doors close as softly on any other vehicle. Not crazy about the 6-bolt pattern on the wheels, but they aren't fugly enough to worry about.

A couple of things to keep an eye out for: the 46RE can be a little picky on the 2-3 shift, adjusting the downshift cable coming off the accelerator helps and those solenoid packs are know to go out in the valve body.

Those 318/360's can take some serious abuse and are reliable to a fault, one of my favorite engines of all time. However, those belly pans/gaskets on the kegger are a known issue and when they go bad can cause some serious oil consumption. Check out Hugh's Engines, they have a lot of great bolts on's for these engines as well as a permanent fix for the belly pan.

Dodgeram.org is also an excellent resource for engine/transmission information (not Durango/Dakota specific, but still very helpful)

Did a 5.2 -> 5.9 motor swap in an 2000 2wd Durango....

That was my exact thought earlier, put a 360 in it.

That was my exact thought earlier, put a 360 in it.

You can really bore and stroke a 360 and make some nice power. Plus the gas mileage hit is negligible for the extra 15 hp / 30 tq. Nearly everything can be swapped between the two: heads, intake, exhaust, oil pan; everything but the crank and the block. (FYI, oil pans and oil pickup tubes are different between the Ram and the Dakota/Durango) You can even run a 5.2 computer on a 5.9 engine, the firing order is the same. Plus they are dirt simple to work on and parts are cheap.

Also all Magnum heads are cracked (poor design from the factory). This is rarely an issue because they usually crack in non critical areas. No really worth replacing unless you are going to have the heads off anyway.

Not the most fuel efficient design (especially the v10), but I would trade mpg for reliability any day of the week.

On another note:

The Magnum engine family is pretty much:

3.9 V6 = 5.2 minus 2 cylinders
8.0 V10 = 5.9 plus 2 cylinders

Not overly creative, but you can't beat a simple design that can go on a diet or bulk up when you need it. :thumbsup:

Not overly creative, but you can't beat a simple design that can go on a diet or bulk up when you need it. :thumbsup:
I knew a woman like that :burnout:

I'm in also in Colorado with a 97 Sport 4x4... We should head up to the mountains this summer! Nothing too crazy (mines stock), but maybe somewhere northwest of co springs? I just don't want to break anything or ding up the body. I did a slight TT and shackles to level it out, and put 4 door leaf springs under it last summer. I'm thinking I might put some 31s (and rock sliders) on it soon. I think that would be simple and built pretty well for what I do. I don't want to kill the MPG and lose too much power because I tow with it also

20191222_100621.jpg

20191222_100635.jpg

20200111_120029.jpg

You should look at the build for @timtimtimajim we are getting together at rainbow falls Jun 13 Meeting there at about 9am. There will be other Explorers there also. Did it last year and it was a lot of fun. The trails we will be doing you can do easily Stock or with the little lift you have.

By the way very nice looking Sport.

That’s a good looking Sport @Mjm12000!! Like @WormsExplorer said, feel free to join us in June. We oughta make some plans to go wheeling some other times too!
Thanks Guys! and Sounds good! I'll defiantly keep an eye on these threads and try to make it up there in June! (I don't see why I wouldn't be able to make it as of now).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Liked the Sport the first time I saw one. Had a 91 and now my 97.

Attachments

• Ford Explorer 6.jpg
    Ford Explorer 6.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 111

Back