• Register Today It's free!

06 timing chain rattle

mprince75

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford explorer
I have read several posts about this death rattle , confirmed today it’s coming from the front. However it’s not very loud and makes no noise at startup until it warms up. My question is how many people have had this where it makes no noise at startup until it’s warm and how long did you drive it or did it last before it died?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on the engine/vehicle. I assume it's a 4.0

How many miles on the engine/vehicle. I assume it's a 4.0
Yes it’s got 174,000 and it’s a 2006, I thought Ford updated something on the newer 4.0. Got an estimate to do the front chain for about $900 was wondering if I should just try to replace the tension or what.

Yes it’s got 174,000 and it’s a 2006, I thought Ford updated something on the newer 4.0. Got an estimate to do the front chain for about $900 was wondering if I should just try to replace the tension or what.

They did update many of the timing components by 2006, but they never updated the rear guides.

Unfortunately, even with the updated components, many of these engines wound up having timing related issues.

How loud is your rattle?

They did update many of the timing components by 2006, but they never updated the rear guides.

Unfortunately, even with the updated components, many of these engines wound up having timing related issues.

How loud is your rattle?
The rattle is silent at startup and is low to moderate after it’s warmed up and driven for an hour, that’s why I was wondering if the tensioner it’s might be bad, seen a video with a louder rattle and the guy put a new tensioner or on it and it instantly went away. Just tying to find a cheap fix . Every post I read talks about it being so loud at startup and mine is silent.

The rattle is silent at startup and is low to moderate after it’s warmed up and driven for an hour, that’s why I was wondering if the tensioner it’s might be bad, seen a video with a louder rattle and the guy put a new tensioner or on it and it instantly went away. Just tying to find a cheap fix . Every post I read talks about it being so loud at startup and mine is silent.

Check my thread. Tensioners helped somewhat mitigate my cold start rattle, but not completely. During operations however, since changing my tensioners, I have no more rattle.

Will changing my timing chain tensioners do more bad than good?

Back