Missing Part? - Strut Tower Insulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part? - Strut Tower Insulator

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST
I’ve noticed this part on some video reviews about the ST, and others are missing it.

It’s listed as an “insulator” and covers the drivers side strut tower. I honestly can’t see any purpose to this other than maybe sound absorption.

Engine Compartment Insulator | FordUS

Insulator Part#: 3C078
Usages: LH Only, 05/06/2019, Explorer 2020-

My Nov 19 built ST is missing this part, along with rear air deflector.

B70C2908-C842-4EE4-8B12-BDF88A07E7CC.jpeg

14506F8B-A460-4B68-A7DE-E979FE15D57D.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who would bet that since it looks to be a similar material as the rear air deflector, that it is made by the same supplier, and they had issues keeping up with demand or manufacturing issues?

Mine is missing it as well. Aug 2019 build

I just went to check my Aviator to see what it had there and found this. One on each side.

Peter

DSCN0132[1].jpg

DSCN0135[1].jpg

My ST doesn't have it. 9/26/19 build date.

Who would bet that since it looks to be a similar material as the rear air deflector, that it is made by the same supplier, and they had issues keeping up with demand or manufacturing issues?
I don't see any pictures when clicking on the 2 links. It pulls up info but says "No image available".

Peter

I don't see any pictures when clicking on the 2 links. It pulls up info but says "No image available".

Peter
you need to select the year and make after clicking links and the parts will show up.

Any chance we could have you get the part numbers off those panels? I'd like to add them to my ST.
I'll have a look.

Peter

Thanks ClarkG for finding yet another part that's missing on earlier builds. I too find the part a little strange and what it's function is. Right in front seems unusually bare. I can even see the ground in front of the strut tower area because the wheel well is not completely enclosed. I see a lot of holes in the metalwork that always makes me wonder if they had intended something to be there. Looks like the Aviator has a lot more shrouding so maybe that's the answer in the engine compartment at least.

Thanks ClarkG for finding yet another part that's missing on earlier builds. I too find the part a little strange and what it's function is. Right in front seems unusually bare. I can even see the ground in front of the strut tower area because the wheel well is not completely enclosed. I see a lot of holes in the metalwork that always makes me wonder if they had intended something to be there. Looks like the Aviator has a lot more shrouding so maybe that's the answer in the engine compartment at least.
Seems like a terrible waste of resources. Look at all these holes. It makes me feel like I got a vehicle half finished. For sure my Platinum is missing another part
IMG_0754.JPG

Mine is also missing this. It has a 11/1/19 build date. I just got the towing eye today at my dealership and I put it in the slot where it belongs next to the funnel which wasn't missing. The air deflector is on back-order until 3/4/20. Last night at 2,200 miles I got a check engine light which went off after 3 hours but today my dealer was nice enough to check for codes at 4:45pm without an appointment! After about 10 minutes or so he printed out the results and said there was an unknown fault but everything was normal now. He said to keep the printout for future reference if it needs any repairs.

Any chance we could have you get the part numbers off those panels? I'd like to add them to my ST.
I had a look at the driver's side panel last night and the part number was a little difficult to read in one place. It looks like LC5B-S1661?-BA. The ? could be a 3,5 or 6 but I came up empty on the AutoNation site. I also doubt it would fit an Explorer as there are mounting points I don't see in the picture in post #13. As it is, the fastener I took out would go back in since it appears the plastic screw came out along with the plastic part it screws into.

Peter

Mine is missing as well, build of 11/19. Looks like everyone else’s n the pictures, holes where something should be bolted in. So far sounds like everyone is missing that one unlike the deflector.

For those that have the part (3C078), installed. Can you confirm how it is held in place? The build sheet shows HM2 x 3, 7mm bolts. The picture its hard to tell if its bolts, or push pins. If someone actually has (3C078) installed, and can confirm how it is mounted, and take some pictures, it would be of great help.

FYI, talking with my parts person, it was not on the build list for the 2020 ST Explorer
Jeff

FYI, talking with my parts person, it was not on the build list for the 2020 ST Explorer
Jeff

This part appears to be more common on press vehicles. I wonder if it was deemed not needed at launch and removed from production.

This part appears to be more common on press vehicles. I wonder if it was deemed not needed at launch and removed from production.

It seems pretty pointless, other than to cover up the metal body. Although the metal it is painted to match the exterior, so rather see the color than a plastic piece sitting there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone gotten a definitive word back from Ford on this missing part ?

Back