Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Explorer) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Explorer) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED

I don't think the fuel filler funnel was missing on the Explorers just on the Aviators.

PB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is only 1 person on this forum that has fixed the clunking noise. They replaced some kind of screw that hold the engine and the frame. He wrote it in that thread and said that it fixed the clunking sound.

I'm writing some things down, so far the missing parts are the air deflector in the rear, tow hook, fuel filler funner and the engine bay insulator, right? anything else?

There is also a whistling sound coming out of front passenger side and probably has to do with the side mirror. Sometimes it is a little annoying to hear that wind whistling sound. Strange, sometimes you feel it and sometimes you don't feel it and forget about it. Maybe it is the high winds.

@Javier V.

I'd like to pick up a used 6th Gen in 3 years.

I'm a big AM Radio fan and here's a problem that at least 4 of members have complained about.

Complaint: Pulsating static on AM radio only when moving.

"The weird thing is this only happens when my Explorer is moving. If I'm stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, the AM radio signal is crystal clear -- until I start moving again."

"I've paid attention to nearby power lines and utility cables, and the pulsating static does not seem to come from those. Rather, it appears that something within the Explorer generates this AM interference, but only when the vehicle is moving."

"You will also find the noise only appears once the truck is warmed up."

Thread link: Pulsating static on AM radio only when moving

Javier, how were you selected specifically to speak with Ford engineering?

My questions/concerns:

- Transmission hesitation and clunking. Is there a software update to become available?

- Transmission cooler leaking. This is a known common problem. Have the replacement coolers been updated and proven to be reliably manufactured?

- Wiper blades streaking. Specifically the very center of the driver's side blade. I have had 3 sets of blades on with no improvement. Glass was cleaned to crystal clear. Is this a windshield issue? Or maybe a wiper arm geometry issue?

- 2.3 engine noise. Quite a bit of racket and sounds very unrefined when accelerating. I posted a thread on this months ago which didn't really get too many responses. But I see someone else above me mention it as well.

- Sync over the air updates. Will they become available?

My wife received an email from Ford about the event and to fill out a survey to see if we would be selected to be part of the event.

There is also a whistling sound coming out of front passenger side and probably has to do with the side mirror. Sometimes it is a little annoying to hear that wind whistling sound. Strange, sometimes you feel it and sometimes you don't feel it and forget about it. Maybe it is the high winds.

Hmmm, i actually havent noticed that, I'll mention it to them.

@Javier V.

I'd like to pick up a used 6th Gen in 3 years.

I'm a big AM Radio fan and here's a problem that at least 4 of members have complained about.

Complaint: Pulsating static on AM radio only when moving.

"The weird thing is this only happens when my Explorer is moving. If I'm stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, the AM radio signal is crystal clear -- until I start moving again."

"I've paid attention to nearby power lines and utility cables, and the pulsating static does not seem to come from those. Rather, it appears that something within the Explorer generates this AM interference, but only when the vehicle is moving."

"You will also find the noise only appears once the truck is warmed up."

Thread link: Pulsating static on AM radio only when moving

I'll have to check that out, don't ever use AM but I'll say this, I know the Focus ST guys had the same complaint. A guy on the Forums was able to fix this by running a bigger ground cable from the battery to the chassis. Bad grounding on the FoST so i wouldn't be surprised if thats the case with the ExST

There is only 1 person on this forum that has fixed the clunking noise. They replaced some kind of screw that hold the engine and the frame. He wrote it in that thread and said that it fixed the clunking sound.

Yes, I remember seeing this, I'll will mention this to them when speaking about the drivetrain rattle/clunk.

I don't think the fuel filler funnel was missing on the Explorers just on the Aviators.

PB
The fuel funnel and tow eye were missing on my ST.

I'll have to check that out, don't ever use AM but I'll say this, I know the Focus ST guys had the same complaint. A guy on the Forums was able to fix this by running a bigger ground cable from the battery to the chassis. Bad grounding on the FoST so i wouldn't be surprised if thats the case with the ExST

Hey Javier - I hear you, AM's not as popular as it once was, but one day when you need it such, as a natural disaster or weather emergency, it would be nice to know it works.

In Post 11 of the thread that I linked ABOVE, forum member @dstewart51 made a YouTube Video of the noise, link:

Just thinking out loud - perhaps you could download the video to your phone, bring it with you to the conference, and pass it onto a Audio or Electrical Engineer?

wow, you can really hear that, especially the cutoffs at gear changes. I'll save that on YT and show it to them.

I have been selected to meet in Houston One/one with Ford (for the Explorer only) Engineers. The purpose is to review my experience, issues, future suggestions etc. I am give 1.5 hour one/one time. So this will be a important meeting with no selling only riding in my Explorer and discussing as above.

I would like input from all of the Explorer owners on the above. Meeting is Feb 29th. at 11AM, anything you guys can come up with, I'll write it down and make sure to bring to their attention. :chug:

On the Platinum with large screen

1) backup view ridiculously small and no way to default to larger view

2) driver seat height adjustment... Doesn't go low enough for taller people. I'm 6' 1" and I'm forced to lean the seat back farther than I want to position my head lower.

3) no way to permanently disable some "features". In particular, the rear brake assist that regularly slams on the brakes backing out of my driveway which I've been able to do successfully for 20 years.

4) very buggy sync software. Long delays and bugs with satellite radio presets and channel changing. Long delay before backup camera view buttons are available. Part of this is likely the use of a way underpowered cpu for sync. I spent a LOT money for a "technology" package and they can't spend a few more dollars for a good processor?

5) no wireless Android auto and Android auto sometimes doesn't start up properly when plugged in

6) not much customization on the speedometer display area

7) terrible wiper blades

I haven't had the mechanical issues of some others so far. So for me I have a great vehicle that is spoiled by a lousy user experience that could be easily fixed.

Which leads me to one more...

8) this is modern technology. There's no reason there shouldn't be an upgrade path to sync 4. Even if it involves purchasing a new hardware module or something.

I would like to know the exact differences between 68S and 68T (Street Pack and High Performance Braking Pack). Ford marketing does a terrible job describing the exact changes/differences in these option packages. It sounds like 68S comes with the 21" wheels, all-season 275/45R21 tires, upgraded rotors, and red calipers. 68T seems to only add different brake pads to be installed at the dealer after shipment, which is insane for an extra $600 or so. Chances are the dealer will do one of several things: A). Deny that there are pads to be installed. B). Claim they were installed but not, and the mechanic would pocket the pads to sell for money on the side. C). Actually install them and cause problems during installation like scratch the vehicle, damage the parking brake assembly, marr up the wheels, or D). Perform the swap and everything is fine.

It would also be helpful to see if either 68S or 68T includes different programming for the stability control, or adds extra coolers for the transmission, front differential, transfer case, and/or rear differential. These were not explained very well in the order guides, and the order guides have been misleading in the past (for example my 2014 SHO order guide didn't explain the Performance Package very clearly).

I would like to know the exact differences between 68S and 68T (Street Pack and High Performance Braking Pack). Ford marketing does a terrible job describing the exact changes/differences in these option packages. It sounds like 68S comes with the 21" wheels, all-season 275/45R21 tires, upgraded rotors, and red calipers. 68T seems to only add different brake pads to be installed at the dealer after shipment, which is insane for an extra $600 or so. Chances are the dealer will do one of several things: A). Deny that there are pads to be installed. B). Claim they were installed but not, and the mechanic would pocket the pads to sell for money on the side. C). Actually install them and cause problems during installation like scratch the vehicle, damage the parking brake assembly, marr up the wheels, or D). Perform the swap and everything is fine.

It would also be helpful to see if either 68S or 68T includes different programming for the stability control, or adds extra coolers for the transmission, front differential, transfer case, and/or rear differential. These were not explained very well in the order guides, and the order guides have been misleading in the past (for example my 2014 SHO order guide didn't explain the Performance Package very clearly).

Track pack is different pads and a different abs programming.

Track pack is different pads and a different abs programming.

Do we have 110% confirmation on that? Nothing changed with the cooling package or stability control programming?

Sounds ultra expensive for a set of pads. I could flash the ABS module with the revised programming myself using IDS or FJDS.

Do we have 110% confirmation on that? Nothing changed with the cooling package or stability control programming?

Sounds ultra expensive for a set of pads. I could flash the ABS module with the revised programming myself using IDS or FJDS.

The recall/stop sale specifically stated dealers had to install the Track pads and update the abs before the Explorers could be sold. So I am basing it off the recall notification.

The recall/stop sale specifically stated dealers had to install the Track pads and update the abs before the Explorers could be sold. So I am basing it off the recall notification.

I'd still feel better if we could confirm if those are the only differences. $600 or whatever price delta between 68S and 68T seems very high for just brake pads. Usually a track pack would include different cooling modifications, and maybe different tires.

I'd still feel better if we could confirm if those are the only differences. $600 or whatever price delta between 68S and 68T seems very high for just brake pads. Usually a track pack would include different cooling modifications, and maybe different tires.

Keep in mind some of the $600 goes to the dealer. They are paid by Ford to replace the pads and update the software. That is a few hours of labor alone.

2020 Ford Explorer ST Street And Track Packages Explained

"We couldn’t help but wonder why the High Performance Package is more expensive than the ST Street Pack, as it only adds one component, while the other seems more substantial due to the addition of new rotors and calipers. In fact, the ST Street Pack seems to have a lot more than $995 worth of equipment, and we’re not convinced that the upgraded brake lining is really worth the additional $1,600."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2020 Ford Explorer ST Street And Track Packages Explained

"We couldn’t help but wonder why the High Performance Package is more expensive than the ST Street Pack, as it only adds one component, while the other seems more substantial due to the addition of new rotors and calipers. In fact, the ST Street Pack seems to have a lot more than $995 worth of equipment, and we’re not convinced that the upgraded brake lining is really worth the additional $1,600."

You left this part out:
"We asked the folks over at Ford Performance why the High Performance Pack costs more than the ST Street Pack, but they couldn’t give us a clear answer."

So they still didn't get a 100% confirmation on the price delta!

Back