ST Aftermarket Exhaust Systems thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ST Aftermarket Exhaust Systems thread

whoa, just noticed the price differences for the different tip options. the carbon fiber look really cool, but that price jump is insane.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$1,400 for the chrome exhaust. Ouch!!

Borla ATAK is usually pretty aggressive... like wake up the neighbors and make their cat crap itself even at idle kind of aggressive, and at loaded throttle sounds like a T-54 and a P-51 are having a screaming contest. S-Type is the sporty sound that is aggressive at loaded throttle, but still says "I live in a civilized society" during idle and normal driving.

I'm currently trying to muster up the courage to pull the trigger on a carbon fiber tipped S-Type.

Knowing David Borla personally, as soon as they released their system for the ST, I ordered it. Custom built to order I am told. In the words of Toby Keith, "A little less talk and a lot more action !"
140820BC_xlarge.jpg

I'm on the fence on the sound they produce. Doesn't really match the vehicle. Would sound good on a hatch back, but not so sure on a big suv. I know it is a totally different beast, but how did they get the v6 in the ford gt to sound so good?

I'm on the fence on the sound they produce. Doesn't really match the vehicle. Would sound good on a hatch back, but not so sure on a big suv. I know it is a totally different beast, but how did they get the v6 in the ford gt to sound so good?

I personally dont think the GT sounds that great. Even the Raptor sounds silly to me.. doesnt match the vehicle. Needs to be a deep rumble and we just wont get that out of a 3.0 v6 so spending $1,400+ is a hard pill to swallow.

Heck, the APR exhaust on my wife's previous audi1.8t sounded deep and throaty. It was a fantastic sound for a 4 cylinder (not a honda civic ricer sound).

I personally dont think the GT sounds that great. Even the Raptor sounds silly to me.. doesnt match the vehicle. Needs to be a deep rumble and we just wont get that out of a 3.0 v6 so spending $1,400+ is a hard pill to swallow.

Heck, the APR exhaust on my wife's previous audi1.8t sounded deep and throaty. It was a fantastic sound for a 4 cylinder (not a honda civic ricer sound).

Hard not to like this exhaust that was installed on the gt @12:10...

Im glad to see companies starting to work on parts for the ST but those tips will be black with soot in no time. The stock exhaust on the ST was well designed and not very restrictive.
Borla has three different tip choices. Chrome, black or, carbon fiber look. ymmv

After watching the videos, I think the mufflers themselves ahould be black as well, I think they really stand out if not, especially with the black or carbon fiber tips. IMHO.

Advised today by Borla that my system will ship on the 18th of March. Should be interesting. Really getting old listening to the artificial sound in sport mode.

Advised today by Borla that my system will ship on the 18th of March. Should be interesting. Really getting old listening to the artificial sound in sport mode.

Shut it off with forscan. I shut mine off.. much nicer.

I heard the Borla systems and they sound like typical aftermarket exhausts on Ford EcoBoost/GTDI. It makes it sound pretty farty. You have to realize that on EcoBoost, the exhaust system is NOT a restriction at all. The catalytic converters are a restriction and that's about it. The only thing you're doing with a Borla cat-back is making your exhaust sound louder. My neighbor across the way has a Ford Flex 3.5 EcoBoost with a Magnaflow system. When she starts it up in the morning, it sounds loud in a bad way... If it were a V8 engine it wouldn't be so bad. I have yet to hear an EcoBoost sound good with an aftermarket exhaust, and that goes for the Mustang and Focus RS as well. I had to add these 2 because everytime I comment about it, someone brings these vehicles up. My Cobalt SS Turbo with the factory exhaust sounds exactly like the Mustang EcoBoost with Roush as well as the Focus RS, it's not great or something I'd advertise. Just my 2 cents.

Again, the 3L TT is a whole nother breed of cat. There is no way to equate the engines of the past with the new. Just as one cannot equate the new FPC to the older V8's.

Again, the 3L TT is a whole nother breed of cat. There is no way to equate the engines of the past with the new. Just as one cannot equate the new FPC to the older V8's.

The 3.0 (first debuted 2017) is based on the 2.7 (came out 2015), even so I've heard the 3.0 and 2.7 with aftermarket exhaust systems and it sounds just as bad as other EcoBoost V6 with aftermarket exhaust.

There is a video on Youtube posted a week or so ago that is a straight piped ST. Still sounds pretty bad. I don't think there is going to be any good aftermarket exhausts to make the 3.0 TT sound good. I'm just going to stick with the stealth sounding stock exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm not sure how many people actually think that an exhaust adds power, or that it can make a v6 sound like a v8, but what's wrong with making it louder if that adds to the driving experience?

Back