• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Problems on 2002 Explorer

James Horton

Reaction score
City, State
Dandridge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I am having problems with the 4x4 on my 2002 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 switch lights come on, but when I press one of the buttons (4x4 Low, 4x4 High, and 4x4 Auto), nothing happens. I did some troubleshooting and checked to make sure all of the 4x4 related fuses are not blown and that I was getting power to the switch. I even replaced the 4x4 transfer control module underneath the front passenger side compartment. No luck so far. Solutions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't just press 4LOW, you have to be in neutral with foot on the brake.

Ok, I will try that. Is that the same thing for 4x4 AUTO and HIGH?

You can shift in and out of 4x4 AUTO and 4x4 HIGH as you drive down the road. There is no noise to tell you it happens, but the dash light for 4x4 HIGH shows up. To shift into 4x4 LOW, you have to be stopped, foot on the brake. And I've never heard any noise to tell me it's shifted, but when I give it the gas, it is noticeable.

Ok, so I tried the advice you gave me about putting it in Neutral with foot on the brake and changing to 4x4 Low. The indicator light on the dash does not light up. I am not sure if it worked or not, but I tested it going up a hill and stopped on the incline and then changed to 4x4. I accelerated up the hill and did not get wheel slippage that I get with 2WD vehicles.

The 4x4 still does not work, though. I dug through some of the wiring and found a 5 pin connector not plugged into anything at all. I looked behind the radio compartment and found a wire strand with 5 different wires on it (red, green, blue, yellow, and black). I found that two of the wires have fuses build in on the ends. Does anyone happen to know where these go?
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG

You can shift in and out of 4x4 AUTO and 4x4 HIGH as you drive down the road. There is no noise to tell you it happens, but the dash light for 4x4 HIGH shows up. To shift into 4x4 LOW, you have to be stopped, foot on the brake. And I've never heard any noise to tell me it's shifted, but when I give it the gas, it is noticeable.

Mine will make a thunk sound when shifting in and out of 4 low.

The 4x4 still does not work, though. I dug through some of the wiring and found a 5 pin connector not plugged into anything at all. I looked behind the radio compartment and found a wire strand with 5 different wires on it (red, green, blue, yellow, and black). I found that two of the wires have fuses build in on the ends. Does anyone happen to know where these go?View attachment 178522 View attachment 178523 View attachment 178524

The 5 pin is the trailer brake controller connector.

You use this adapter wire to connect it to a trailer brake controller.

Trailer Brake Controller Harness

Back