DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Long story short I have to replace rear brakes on a 295k mile GT. Needs new calipers and all. Pins are rust seized into brackets. I have new parts. But oh my dog.

First problem. Cannot bust bracket bolts loose from axle flange. With breaker bar and cheater pipe I used a floor jack on end of pipe in an attempt to use the vehicle weight to pop em loose. Car came up off jackstands. Impact has no effect. Unable to swing a hammer.

So, lets say I do finally get those brackets off. Problem 2 stares you in the face.

That silly e brake cable on each caliper. How in the heck do I get it off? Yes I googled but am attempting a more concise answer from a friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you haven't already, try soaking them for a day or two with good quality penetrating oil. Use multiple applications. It might make enough of a difference to break them lose.

If you haven't already, try soaking them for a day or two with good quality penetrating oil. Use multiple applications. It might make enough of a difference to break them lose.

Thanks for the suggestion and please keep em coming. .
I am not able to get anything to the bolt holes as the rotors are blocking access. The bolt head looks tight to the flange so I doubt anything would make it to the threads. I did consider cutting the rotor to gain access but this seems brutal.

Local tire shop will come break em loose for a 25.00 service call plus 35 per hour. Actually sounds like a bargain at this point.

You know that one time when a relative was driving on bad brakes so you volunteered to fix em? No? well I do.

Heat em up? If you can't get a torch in there, I have a crazy redneck Idea that is sure to be unsafe, and might cause serious mayhem. :crazy:

Home made Induction using a 12v battery, and leads attached to rods, to zap them bolts until they glow. lol

I have asked Santa for a mini inductor tool for the last 5 years, but he just gives me coal. :(

You know that one time when a relative was driving on bad brakes so you volunteered to fix em? No? well I do.

The saying "No good deed goes unpunished" is around for a reason.

Back