Drain plug upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drain plug upgrade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think if you continue to reuse the OEM or buy an aftermarket that after 2 or 3 oil changes, you are going to want to change the O-ring(s). Whether they are available for the aftermarket ones, I don't know. Planning to use the OEM for 2-3 changes and then swap in the brand new OEM one.
Ready for this ? The O ring itself is just at half the price of a new plug. I asked at O'Reilly today when I bought the Doreman replacement for the Ford plug. Decided that I'll just buy a new plug when the oil gets changed. I can afford the $8.00.

I haven't seen the service manual for the 2020 Explorer, but the drain plug part number for the 2020 ST/Platinum is the same as many other Fords. No previous mention was made that this drain plug or its o-ring are a one time use. The only o-rings that must be changed on every oil change are those for the filter cover which already come packed with the new filter cartridges.

I would think if you continue to reuse the OEM or buy an aftermarket that after 2 or 3 oil changes, you are going to want to change the O-ring(s). Whether they are available for the aftermarket ones, I don't know. Planning to use the OEM for 2-3 changes and then swap in the brand new OEM one.

checkout there website. Once this one is installed it doesn’t have to be removed.

0AD25515-E9D0-4052-B254-9914C2413622.png

I know. Bought one, sent it back for a refund. Based on 7,5k between oil changes using Mobil 1, it costs less just to buy a new twist plug from auto parts. I pay $7 plus spare change at NAPA or, O'Reilly after my mil discount. I refuse to cheap out on my oil. Semi syn is a low buck way to go imho in the ST. ymmv
Mike

UPR 3025-01 is the same w/o the drain tube feature. $10.00 less. I prefer the twist to open feature. I can direct the old oil right into an empty 5 qt jug with no mess. Ditto the last qt into another empty jug. Put them into empty plastic pickle buckets for transport to the recycling facility.
clapping%20smilie.gif
No mess, no fuss !
Does your Explorer not hold 6qts.?

Welcome to the Forum Alan.:wave:
He mentioned, "Ditto the last qt into another empty jug."

Peter

$80 to get to easier burn 5-6 qts. of oil to space-heat? That would buy a better-bet in good stove-oil. This is getting crazy. Most balk at spending a premium to get a GOOD, RELIABLE part, like Motorcraft, then piss money away on gimmicks! imp

$80 to get to easier burn 5-6 qts. of oil to space-heat? That would buy a better-bet in good stove-oil. This is getting crazy. Most balk at spending a premium to get a GOOD, RELIABLE part, like Motorcraft, then piss money away on gimmicks! imp
o_O Are you referring to the drain plug ?

I have the service manual for the 2020 Explorer (ST) - it absolutely does not say replace the drain plug with a new one. In fact, for servicing, it says:

4. NOTE: The drain plug should be removed and installed by hand, do not use tools.
1. Turn the oil drain plug by hand counterclockwise 120 degrees.
Use the General Equipment: Oil Drain Equipment
2. Pull the oil drain plug out of the oil pan.
3. After the oil has drained, push the oil drain plug into the oil pan.
4. NOTICE: Overtightening will damage the oil drain plug and possibly the oil pan.
Turn the oil drain plug by hand clockwise 120 degrees.

So, pretty sure the plug is reusable, and meant to be reusable (unless it is damaged, obviously). And that would be incredibly stupid for Ford to design a drain plug that must be replaced each time. Imagine the cost.

I have the service manual for the 2020 Explorer (ST) - it absolutely does not say replace the drain plug with a new one. In fact, for servicing, it says:

4. NOTE: The drain plug should be removed and installed by hand, do not use tools.
1. Turn the oil drain plug by hand counterclockwise 120 degrees.
Use the General Equipment: Oil Drain Equipment
2. Pull the oil drain plug out of the oil pan.
3. After the oil has drained, push the oil drain plug into the oil pan.
4. NOTICE: Overtightening will damage the oil drain plug and possibly the oil pan.
Turn the oil drain plug by hand clockwise 120 degrees.

So, pretty sure the plug is reusable, and meant to be reusable (unless it is damaged, obviously). And that would be incredibly stupid for Ford to design a drain plug that must be replaced each time. Imagine the cost.
Of course, the dealers will do so anyway unless told not to. lol

The problem I see with the Ronin Factory Easy Drain Plug is you have to remove the cap and screw on the drain adapter each time you want to change your oil. The challenge would be to not lose your drain adapter between oil changes. I am not really good of keeping track of small parts. Plus if anyone else in my family found it they might just think it is a leftover or unwanted part and chuck it. It's just one more thing to have to worry about IMO. Unless they included like 3 of them in the original packaging so you had some spares.

The problem I see with the Ronin Factory Easy Drain Plug is you have to remove the cap and screw on the drain adapter each time you want to change your oil. The challenge would be to not lose your drain adapter between oil changes. I am not really good of keeping track of small parts. Plus if anyone else in my family found it they might just think it is a leftover or unwanted part and chuck it. It's just one more thing to have to worry about IMO. Unless they included like 3 of them in the original packaging so you had some spares.
LOL those were my exact thoughts when I first saw this on Amazon a few months ago. Combined with the $$$, I think I’ll live with the factory plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't like the idea of using a metal plug in a plastic threaded oil pan. The plastic factory plug is fine to re-use. Those O-rings seem like the same material they use for the dipstick O-rings. I've never had to replace one of those O-rings.

Back