Source for SOHC hydraulic chain tensioner seal (SOLVED) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Source for SOHC hydraulic chain tensioner seal (SOLVED)

its easy
tighten with fingers until it stops
back up 1/4 turn, smash down the jam nut.
done

Consider this before your tensioners pump up with oil pressure the chain is SLACK
slack in the chain has your engine running out of time, chain is slapping around hard on the nylon guides....... tick tick tick tick on cold starts...........
With manual tensioner they are never allowed to go slack

Or install a pre-oiler to pump up the hydraulic tensioners before starting the engine. Granted this will cost more than installing manual tensioners, but a pre-oiler provides other benefits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its easy
tighten with fingers until it stops
back up 1/4 turn, smash down the jam nut.
done

Consider this before your tensioners pump up with oil pressure the chain is SLACK
slack in the chain has your engine running out of time, chain is slapping around hard on the nylon guides....... tick tick tick tick on cold starts...........
With manual tensioner they are never allowed to go slack

Or you can install a pre-oiler to pump up the hydraulic tensioners before starting the engine. Granted this will cost more than installing manual tensioners, but a pre-oiler provides other benefits for long engine life.

Is a pre-oiler just a hydraulic accumulator filled with engine oil?

Is a pre-oiler just a hydraulic accumulator filled with engine oil?

Basically. It pressurizes when the engine is started and saves the pressurized oil in a tank. Before starting the engine you release the stored pressurized oil and it brings up your oil pressure before starting.

I think the reason I managed to get 35K out of my damaged engine was that I would always crank the starter for about 8 seconds to build oil pressure before I would allow it to start. Once I have my engine rebuilt I plan to install an Insta-Lube pre-oiler to keep it healthy. They're not cheap, but the SOHC engine really needs to be pre-oiled before starting.

Engine Pre Lube System Insta-Lube Kit Description

Basically. It pressurizes when the engine is started and saves the pressurized oil in a tank. Before starting the engine you release the stored pressurized oil and it brings up your oil pressure before starting.

I think the reason I managed to get 35K out of my damaged engine was that I would always crank the starter for about 8 seconds to build oil pressure before I would allow it to start. Once I have my engine rebuilt I plan to install an Insta-Lube pre-oiler to keep it healthy. They're not cheap, but the SOHC engine really needs to be pre-oiled before starting.

Engine Pre Lube System Insta-Lube Kit Description
The kit no longer supplies the 30 sec timer
But the timer is available on eBay if you need to find one ill help you I think they run $30 or so

Here is some more details about the auto tensioner from Alba racing:

Polaris RZR Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner | Alba Racing

Its a Yamaha automatic tensioner with ratcheting device (or cheap Chinese clone of the Yamaha part).....so it is just like the manual tensioner except it auto sets the depth and cannot ratchet loose

I still like the manual tensioner

Here is some more details about the auto tensioner from Alba racing:

Polaris RZR Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner | Alba Racing

Its a Yamaha automatic tensioner with ratcheting device (or cheap Chinese clone of the Yamaha part).....so it is just like the manual tensioner except it auto sets the depth and cannot ratchet loose

I still like the manual tensioner

IDK that that Polaris ratcheting tensioner would even fit on the front of the SOHC engine. Manually adjustable seems to be the best solution. I'll install the new Ford hydraulic tensioners that come with my Motorcraft timing chain kit, but I'm also planning to installing a pre-oiling system. If I end up with chain noise in the future I will definitely install the Polaris manually adjustable tentioners.

I think the reason I managed to get 35K out of my damaged engine was that I would always crank the starter for about 8 seconds to build oil pressure before I would allow it to start.

I do the same thing with my wife's 99 Explorer Sport on starts first thing in the morning.

how do you guys disable the engine from starting? If I crank my starter for 1 seconds my engine starts...do you have a disable switch of some sort installed?

how do you guys disable the engine from starting? If I crank my starter for 1 seconds my engine starts...do you have a disable switch of some sort installed?
Just hold the gas pedal down then crank the starter I think it's called ...no flood mode...

wow many many years first I ever heard of this!!
Thanks fellas learn something every day

I was researching the Ford OEM timing chain set for my '01 SOHC and I see it includes new front and rear hydraulic chain tensioners, but it does not appear that the metal gaskets for the tensioners is included. The metal gaskets do not appear to be included in the Fel-Pro full gasket set either. Does any know if/where these metal gaskets are available separately? I don't see them listed anywhere, not even on the Tasca Ford parts site.

The Cloyes timing chain set includes the gaskets with the tensioners. It seems ridiculous to me that Ford doesn't include these gaskets with the tensioners.

Wow this looks interesting, good stuff uugh.

I agree

wow many many years first I ever heard of this!!
Thanks fellas learn something every day

Jamie, this morning when I went to start my wife's 99 Explorer Sport I tried this & it worked GREAT, cranked it for 5-10 seconds & then when I started it, NO chain rattle.

friggin cool
Im gonna tell my stepson about this his wife still drives a SOHC sport trac...... all of our other vehicles have all been converted to 5.0 LOL

The reasoning behind my beginning to crank the engine to build oil pressure before allowing the engine to start began many years ago when I had multiple classic cars that didn't get driven much. They were carb'd engines, but after having them sit for weeks, or months, I'd crank them w/out starting until I saw they'd built oil pressure. When my '01 Sport Trac started rattling on cold-start I first considered adding a toggle switch to turn off the fuel pump to allow the engine to crank w/out starting. Someone here told me that the switch wasn't necessary, as holding the accelerator to the floor would prevent the engine from starting by turning off the fuel injectors. At first I'd crank the engine on the starter until I saw the oil pressure gauge pop up, but later I figured out that it wasn't necessary to wait for the gauge, with 5-8 seconds being enough to pump up the hydraulic tensioners. Doing this also eliminated the SOHC's high RPM starting flare (which I always hated). I've mentioned this method multiple times in the past (calling it the "poor man's pre-oiler"). I'd worried that this might wear out my starter motor, which already had 200k on it, but it never has and changing the starter on the 2WD SOHC is really easy (and not that hard as long as you remove the front drive shaft on the 4x4).

Back