Sudden blend door failure? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sudden blend door failure?

I have the manual controls, I've never been a real fan of EATCs. I forget the brand, but its $30 from RockAuto. And I already wasn't planning to put the back bolt back in. It was "fun" getting it out, I'd rather not have to put it back in :) the hardest part will be lining up the shaft, so to speak.

I never had much trouble lining up the actuator shaft to the blend door with the Motorcraft actuators, but the Dorman shaft was a tight fit as I recall. If you get the shaft in the hole, hold the actuator by hand and cycle the temp knob to get it to line up with the blend door.

I never cared much for the automatic temp control stuff either, but that's what almost all of our Explorers/Mountaineers came with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do recall the last Dorman unit had a tight fit. I may google the part number and see if I can find one. Rockauto doesn't list a Motorcraft with manual controls.

When my wife and I got our 2000, I was pleased to find manual controls. I was surprised when it had tape/CD player plus a 6 disc changer. The 04 EB has the auto controls, but I expected that with that trim level. That one needs balljoints and rear wheel bearings - I'm not looking forward to that one...

I have the manual controls, I've never been a real fan of EATCs. I forget the brand, but its $30 from RockAuto. And I already wasn't planning to put the back bolt back in. It was "fun" getting it out, I'd rather not have to put it back in :) the hardest part will be lining up the shaft, so to speak.

I never had much trouble lining up the actuator shaft to the blend door with the Motorcraft actuators, but the Dorman shaft was a tight fit as I recall. If you get the shaft in the hole, hold the actuator by hand and cycle the temp knob to get it to line up with the blend door.

I've found manual Motorcraft actuators on eBay and places like PartsGeek in the past.

I've done upper/lower ball joints at least 6-7 times and several rear axle seals/bearings. Neither is too bad of job IMO.

I'm going to google the part number from the old actuator and see what I can find.

I've heard the rear wheel bearings are a pain in the butt on the 02-05? Upper control arms look pretty straightforward, haven't seen much on the lower yet. I decided with 140k miles, why press not just change the whole control arm and freshen up those bushings as well.

I'm going to google the part number from the old actuator and see what I can find.

I've heard the rear wheel bearings are a pain in the butt on the 02-05? Upper control arms look pretty straightforward, haven't seen much on the lower yet. I decided with 140k miles, why press not just change the whole control arm and freshen up those bushings as well.

I didn't have any luck trying to look up the old part number in the automatic version. IDK about the manual version.

I didn't have any luck trying to look up the old part number in the automatic version. IDK about the manual version.

I haven't had too much luck either.

Also, the heat works great in town but get on the highway and it goes away. Fortunately, the temps have been fairly decent so I can easily tolerate the 10 mile drive to work.

I haven't had too much luck either.

Also, the heat works great in town but get on the highway and it goes away. Fortunately, the temps have been fairly decent so I can easily tolerate the 10 mile drive to work.

A disconnected blend door (no actuator attached) will flop around on the highway, The air pressure is probably closing the door.

Back