Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer?

Where in the name of God's green earth, do you need the power plant in the ST or Platinum? I don't see it. But Ford has sucked people into paying $55,000 so the can say they have a "fast SUV." Whoopee Do. An XLT with the 2.3L is probably the sweet spot, and hopefully you can buy it for under $40,000, because that's where the price point needs to be.
Not everyone buys those vehicles because of the engines. Different trims have different options that appeal to different buyers. That is why manufacturers build different trim levels.
I bought my Aviator ($79,200 CDN) because I liked what it offered and although it has 3.0L engine, I usually put it in "Conserve" mode but I must admit that "Excite" mode is awesome.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just keep in mind the weight restrictions. 75 lbs with a moonroof and 165 lbs without.

Peter

My thule cargo box is 65lbs.. the bars are at least 10lbs.. yup,oh well. Worked fantastic for our ski trip

Where in the name of God's green earth, do you need the power plant in the ST or Platinum? I don't see it. But Ford has sucked people into paying $55,000 so the can say they have a "fast SUV." Whoopee Do. An XLT with the 2.3L is probably the sweet spot, and hopefully you can buy it for under $40,000, because that's where the price point needs to be.

Why does anyone buy a mustang with the 5.0 or a hellcat or a track hawk or an AMG or M series.. and the list could go on.

Seriously, if you dont like it that's fine but many of us enjoy being connected to the vehicle and the acceleration/handling of it.

If you shop around you will find no other 3 row is as feature packed and with the kind of power that the 3.0tt puts out for towing, or just sport.....for under 85k. 60k is a steal imo. Keeping in mind a well equipped st can now be had for under 55k.

Umm....in grand ole USA that is where. I am American and I don't buy things just because I need them but because I want them. Where do you need massaging seats with heaters and coolers. You do not NEED them anywhere but they are nice to have.

As for the power plant option I would love to see a twin turbo small V8 under the hood at about 500+HP but I will settle for what is offered.

ST is much more enjoyable to drive in longer trips. I like the power the ST has when in sport mode and especially being able to disable the main four wheel drive by holding the button for 5 seconds. You can't even compare it to the previous generation explorer, or most other SUV brands because it is truly one of the few true branded SUV's that are rear wheel drive based, just like BMW X5, but stronger then X5 4.0 model.

Those of us that have bought us 2020 Explorers already are well aware that we risk more issues because we bought the 1st year of the new generation model. I have some of the issues on mine like clanking sound from front suspension, whistling noise is sometimes coming out of passengers front side mirror/doors but I will not leave my car at the dealer for multiple days, its just so much fun to drive it that I don't want to take it to dealership, only when it is due for the 1st oil change.

Curious about the comment to 'disable the main four wheel drive'...

Did not know that was possible. What is this magic button you are referring to?

I haven't seen anything in the Manual that allows you to disable AWD. Perhaps I missed it.

Peter

Curious about the comment to 'disable the main four wheel drive'...

Did not know that was possible. What is this magic button you are referring to?

I meant to disable traction of four wheel drive you can hold the traction button for 5 seconds. I did not know it at first.

I am a stickler for performance. The lease payments for a bare bones 2020 XLT AWD with bare creature comforts (heated steering wheel/seats) is something like $420 a month give or take. Hardly cheap. This is why the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade is in such strong demand. For the same price as an almost bare minimum Explorer, they can get nearly a fully loaded Telluride/Palisade. I estimate the monthly lease on an Explorer ST is going to be $720/month for me, and that is a hard pill to swallow.

My 2018 Explorer XLT AWD is slow as a ****. I tuned it and squeezed every bit of power out of the N/A 3.5 and every advantage I can grab out of the 6F55. My girlfriend has been in my Explorer in stock form, and after the tuning - she even notices a night/day difference, but it's performance is about comparable to a 2020 Explorer 2.3L at this point. If I have to pass someone on the freeway, it will be a challenge if that person speeds up to not let me change lanes or merge onto the freeway (Hey, this is Detroit/SE MI traffic).

With my 2017 Fusion Sport (same weight:power ratio stock and tuned as an Explorer ST stock and tuned), I just point where I want to go and mash down the throttle. Roughly 90% of the typical daily driver vehicles on the road won't be able to keep up (low 12s in the 1/4 mile).

Honestly, if Ford offered a bare bones XLT AWD with that 3.0L EcoBoost (like a PIU that they'd be willing to sell to consumers), I'd take it. I don't care for SYNC 3.4 or any of the Co-Pilot garbage. I remember when Ford debuted this 3.0 in the MKZ/Continental in 2017 and refused to call it EcoBoost because it would cheapen Lincoln... Funny how that has changed.

Back